UKC

Looking for outdoor climbing partners around London

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 18 May 2021

Hey, I'm pretty new to the world of climbing and lately the idea of outdoor climbing has really appealled to me. Problem is, neither I or any of my friends have any experience with outdoor climbing. If there are any people in London thinking of going on a trip who want a plus one, hit me up! I can bring my own gear, am potty trained and am not a murderer. 

I'm a 21 year old male and on indoor climbs I can crack V4s and 6b's fairly comfortably (not crazy I know but just giving a frame of reference). I'm working as a bartender so my schedules pretty flexible.

Also, if you have any general advice on how I'm approaching this wrong or whatever, please let me know! I'm just really keen on the idea of any outdoor roped climbing and want to tag along with some more experienced people so I can take my friends out on trips and know what I'm doing.

In reply to Removed UserRocking-Scolions:

Just remember that the grades can feel very different outside to in.....and also there is a world of difference between indoor 6b and trad 5b. Speaking from experience. Don't ask.

colins 21 May 2021

where are you based? i guess you and yor friends are looking for an "outdoor climbing experance / taster" and someone who would be willing to run this for you ?

feel free to PM me as i may be able to help

Iamgregp 21 May 2021
In reply to colins:

I dunno, but given the title of the thread I'd guess he's in London

Iamgregp 21 May 2021

> Also, if you have any general advice on how I'm approaching this wrong or whatever, please let me know! I'm just really keen on the idea of any outdoor roped climbing and want to tag along with some more experienced people so I can take my friends out on trips and know what I'm doing.

If you get an offer to tag along then that's a great way to learn, and I guess how many people learned here.  Lots of people (myself included) love to take people outside for the first time, I've got a baby due in 3 weeks though, so I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a while!

My partner and I actually booked a day's tuition when we were new to outdoors climbing. Our guide was fantastic, a great teacher and took us through all the basics well enough to make us safe.  That one day was enough to go on ahead and book our first sport climbing trip and we've never looked back since.  Can't remember her name.

Another way to learn is you may see group trips suitable for beginners advertised down your local wall (or will, once Covid finally goes), that's a great way to learn and to meet people too.  

Removed User 21 May 2021
In reply to Iamgregp:

Hey, thanks for the advice! I'll definitely check out any advertisements or something of that sort at my wall. Congrats on the baby! I've heard that climbers are born with umbilical cords tied into a figure eight knot so make sure you've got a doctor that can belay. 

Twiggy Diablo 21 May 2021

Hi - Which part of london are you and where do you indoor climb usually?

colins 22 May 2021

I did drop you a PM re a day out on real rock

Removed User 22 May 2021
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

I normally climb at the castle and I live in Camden. 

Removed User 22 May 2021
In reply to colins:

Oh yeah, didn't see that before. I'll have to get back to you on that though, since if it's a group outing I'll have to check with my friends' schedules and I know one of them's moving rn. Thanks for the pm though!

colins 22 May 2021

No worries. Have a chat and let me know (I assumed it would be all of you)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...