UKC

New to UK. Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
ncpainting 03 Feb 2014
Hello. I am new to the UK and am looking to plan a trip to Snowdonia this comming weekend. I am an experianced climber and would like to take a friend up an easy multi pitch scramble in the snowdonia region. I dont have much ice pro and would like to find a route that takes rock pro.

Any sugestions on :

Good easy routes that take rock pro in the winter.

Good guide books.

Snowdonia area shops where ice tools and crampons can be rented.

Transportation ideas from london.

sleavesley 03 Feb 2014
In reply to ncpainting:

I would take a flight to Scotland unless you like climbing in the rain!

I don't believe there is anything anywhere near in condition in Snowdonia at the moment.
If you do come up from London in the future and you are not driving, the train from Euston goes up to Llandudno Junction, you can then get the train from there to Betws Y Coed, where you would probably stay (or somewhere near) and get a taxi or a bus to the main areas of Snowdonia and other accomodation.
Plas Y Brenin may hire kit 01690 720214 is the stores number.
 tlm 03 Feb 2014
In reply to sleavesley:

> I don't believe there is anything anywhere near in condition in Snowdonia at the moment.

They want to use rock, not ice pro, so want it in summer condition...
 tlm 03 Feb 2014
In reply to ncpainting:

It's fairly likely to be raining - there are some really excellent scrambles where you could climb together, rather than climbing in pitches, which might be better?

You might be able to get a lift from London - are you living in London longer term? Have you contacted any of the London clubs?
 sleavesley 03 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

So why does he want to hire Ice axes and crampons?
 tlm 03 Feb 2014
In reply to sleavesley:
Maybe for some walking? Ah! I see how he meant it now! A winter route, that he climbs without using ice pro! DUH!

Yeah - go to Scotland!

http://www.fhc.co.uk/weather/images/sn_huge.jpg
Post edited at 11:24
 sleavesley 03 Feb 2014
In reply to tlm:

Thanks.

In reply to the OP.

North Wales Classics is a good pocket sized guidebook that contains 46 winter routes as well as loads of other summer routes.
If you want a guidebook just for Wales winter climbs - get Welsh Winter Climbs or the Ground Up North Wales Winter climbs.

You will see a welsh winter conditions thread somewhere on the forum - when things are in condition this will be near the top. Until then look at options in Scotland or Europe.
ncpainting 03 Feb 2014
Thanks for all of the info. My friend and I are planning a trip to Ben in a couple weeks and i wanted.to do a warm up climb. He has never done any winter or multi pitch climbing. I am looking to do a prep route. Teach some basic tech and rope managment etc.. If snowdonia is not a good option I am very open to sugestions.
 CurlyStevo 03 Feb 2014
In reply to ncpainting:

Snowdonia is not relieable for winter conditions at any time of year. If you want good winter conditions in N Wales then you have to get up there when they exist probably taking time off work.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...