UKC

NICEST Town to Live in if you want Weather/Outdoo

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
itaa 01 May 2018

I'm considering purchasing another property and moving somewhere down south as Most of my clients are from there and It's really soul crushing having at least one whole-day commute per week.
What would you say is the Nicest Smallish town you have ever lived or have visited within about 100mile range from London? 

-Best weather overall (Not just the temperature,but the least wind/gloom/rain possible ,most sunshine and all that,but specially the least wind...)
-If possible Good Bicycle Infrastructure connecting with other towns ( I cycle a lot, but I hate cycling on open road but love all the paths)
-Clean,quiet, Not Overpopulated ,but within 10-30miles from a Large city in case you need something.
-Has a Nice countryside/Nature places where you can go and enjoy yourself,Don't really care about the Sea as you can't go and swim in it anyway, only more wind...

I realise ''the best'' is way different for every person, but what is your Dream City/Town to live in and why?

Trangia 01 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

I live in Hastings and I like it

Population 81,000

Pluses

Arguably the one of the best climates in Britain

Loads of character and history (1066 Country), both in the town and surrounding countryside.

Quaint Old Town area with a fishing fleet, approximately 3 miles of promenade, ample selection of shops and supermarkets, and fresh fish. Vibrant music scene from classical concerts to folk to jazz/rock and blues. much of it outdoors in the summer. Lots of pubs, several theatres, a pier, lots of town parks and open spaces.

You mention the Sea not being a priority. Living here I often walk down to the front and in particular the old town, but most of my recreation is spent inland where the walking is excellent - see below.

Property prices are some of the lowest in the South East.

Friendly people and clubs to suit most tastes and interests.

Easy access to beautiful countryside including the Downs and other hills, farmland and the Weald*. Big choice of country footpaths and cycle rides in lanes - can be very hilly.

London (Charing Cross)  1hr 20 mins by fast train or 1hr 50 mins on slower trains. Easy access to Eastbourne, Brighton, Tunbrdge Wells and Dover - ferries and Tunnel to Europe.

Minuses

Difficult to quickly access other parts of the UK because London is such a barrier to get around by car (via M25) or train, and the coast road to the West Country can get busy.

A bit of a haul to get away for climbing anywhere apart from Southern Sandstone ( which is about 45 mins to 1 hours drive. The next nearest climbing is Swanage and Portland, or Wye Valley - all about 3 to 4 hours drive. The Peak is about 4 hours, N Wales about 5 to 6 hours and the Lakes about 7 hours. But Font is easy!

The roads are not the best, and it can take a while driving around. The A21 main road to London is gradually improving and being dualled, but it's still not the best choice to go up to London. Train is generally quicker - particularly the fast trains.

Feel free to pick my brains if you want to know anything else.

* The Weald is often overlooked by people who don't know it because it is heavily wooded, but beautiful and surprisingly hilly. Some areas can get quite remote.

Post edited at 16:30
 RobertHepburn 01 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

I live in Dorking, and it has:

• An excellent climate - we generally get a good warm summer and wear sandals for 2 months, but still often get some snow in winter (Did about 4 snow rides this Winter). Away from the coast and surrounded by hills so the wind is generally quite light.
  • Some really nice countryside: sandstone hills to the south (Leith Hill etc.), Chalk hills to the North (North Downs). There is a huge amount of very natural forest - the bluebells are out at the moment, but you also get foxes, badgers, adders, bats, stag beetles and even glow-worms.
  • Some of the best mountain biking anywhere, especially the all weather sandstone hills. Have a look at the Strava heat map!
  • Road cycling: Cycle path north to Leatherhead, NCN22 to Guildford (semi off-road), quieter roads out toward Gatwick, and the iconic box hill.
  • Southern sandstone 40-60 minutes away, otherwise  2 1/2 hours to Dorset, 3 hours to the peak.
  • Good train links (3 stations, Lines going all directions, 50 minutes from Waterloo/Victoria). I think there are about 50 train stations within 10 miles of Dorking?
  • Dorking itself is a nice little town with it's own cinema, nice park in the middle of town, supermarkets etc, but the suburbs are very quiet.
  • The nearest big town is Guildford, which has most things you could want and is quite nice

The main downside is the house prices, but then that is true of most of the south-east.

Post edited at 16:49
 FactorXXX 01 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

The only advice I can give is this: Don't move to Yate as it's rubbish.

outdoors.nick 01 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

I recently moved out of London and have been much happier for it. Southern Sandstone is okay but if you want to live down south and want proper climbing then the sea cliffs are far better, think Swanage, Portland and then you're also much closer to West where there's better climbing;  Cornish Granite, Pembrokeshire and the Wye Valley etc. Thus I'd be looking for towns not far off the great west train line. South Downs might be a good shout. I was a city dweller down south so can't help with specifics!

Good luck!

ali_colquhoun 03 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

I have been thinking similarly over the past year, well moving out of London with or less the same desires. I must have google mapped every county in England. Eventually I am settling on the Wye Valley, well I have family and friends near there but it fits the bill for me. Good climbing, running and cycling right there, decent transport links and easy to get to Wales. Cheaper to live than the home counties too. 

Dorset also a strong contender but you are very south then and a bit of an epic getting northwards. 

UKC crag finder map thing was a useful tool when I was looking around. 

Dandan 03 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

I quite like living in Southampton, and the only way I can see to improve my situation is to head West a bit into Dorset.
If you lived somewhere like Ringwood, its just over an hour to Portland, 45 mins to Swanage, 1.30 to Cheddar, but still under 2 hours from London, plus you have the New Forest on your doorstep for other outdoor pursuits.
If you went as far West as say Dorchester, London becomes a fair distance but it makes even more climbing accessible for a day trip, Anstey's, Dartmoor, maybe Brean, the Wye, even South Wales.

You can't beat the Dorset climate really, and if you don't try to move to Sandbanks then the house prices are reasonably palatable, especially out of town.

Deadeye 03 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

Bath

bpmclimb 03 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

I realise ''the best'' is way different for every person, but what is your Dream City/Town to live in and why?

Not my ultimate dream, perhaps, because my heart is always in Cornwall where I grew up .... but we're pretty happy here at the S. end of the Lower Wye Valley. We're in a small village just North of Chepstow, just over the bridge from Bristol, with stunning local scenery and good, varied climbing at a wide selection of crags in all directions.

In reply to Deadeye:

Bath or Bristol would meet most of the OP's conditions.

T.

alx 07 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

Bournemouth - the Scottish Majorca.

mp3ferret 07 May 2018
In reply to itaa:

Stockton .......

...... California

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...