UKC

Now looking to start sport climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Shaunhaynes99 11 Jul 2019

How I've  had my belaying and leading lessons I'm looking to start getting  my own gear for sports climbing and top roping

Can anyone recommend  me  good starter rope,  rope bag and  number of quick draws I actually need? 

The rope Doesnt need to be  massively long on  as will be used on indoor sport and top roping  on southern sandstone (im aware that  I'll need sling and  static rope for anchoring   but  ill cross that bridge later) same with the bag   but big enough for the rope harness shoes refreshment  and  normal outdoor clothing. I really like the like the look of mammut  neon gear  but it a fair chunk  of money. I dont spending a bit more  if its gonna last me a good amount of time. 

snoop6060 11 Jul 2019
In reply to Shaunhaynes99:

Decathlon does neon green and pink ropes for good prices. And their 35l rock bag for £35 great.

Post edited at 07:32
OP Shaunhaynes99 11 Jul 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Great seems like a great starting point 

UKB Shark 11 Jul 2019

If you’re looking to save money then an Ikea bag is serviceable as a rope bag

Jackspratt 11 Jul 2019
In reply to snoop6060:

Second this I've just bought the symond single 50m rope from decathlon for pennies compared to the main brands and it's lovely 

In reply to Jackspratt:

Ok there is shop local to me so  I'll go have a look. 50m is probably  far more then I'll ever need but  I cant imagine  there much of a saving with a 40m and 50m, And I've just found a 40l ruck in loft that i used to use for fishing so that will do as a pack,  I'll just throw a tarpaulin  in there to set up and put my shoes on with.  So that saved me a chuck of money 

1poundSOCKS 11 Jul 2019

> Can anyone recommend  me  good starter rope,  rope bag and  number of quick draws I actually need? 

> The rope Doesnt need to be  massively long on  as will be used on indoor sport and top roping  on southern sandstone

Just wondering, if the rope is for indoor sport and top roping, what are the draws for? Outdoor sport presumably, but what about the rope?

trouserburp 11 Jul 2019
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

This- not clear if you are only climbing indoors/southern sandstone - in which case get a 30metre on special from one of the independent shops like mammut gym rope needlesports £37 - or also going sport climbing outside in which case something between 60m to 80m. You'll probably end up with both.  Agree with the sentiment of cheap for your first gear- ropes need replacing every few years anyway when you will have a better idea of what you want/need. Harness don't go too cheap- go to a shop and try a couple on- padding is nice. Harnesses last a bit longer.  Quickdraws- maybe 12 for most climbs

Rope for indoor sport and top roping   and sandstone top roping 

Draws for indoor sport as not everywhere has them on the wall. And eventually  longer sport routes

I dont see myself doing any massive sport routes  for a while yet as there is no where local and will take me a couple of years to build to myself up to them at which point the ropes will need replacing anyway

Post edited at 10:04
 trouserburp 11 Jul 2019

It's been a while since I've been to a wall where you use your own draws- count the bolts at your wall, if you visit any other walls you probably won't need them

mattrm 11 Jul 2019

If you have a shop near by, definitely go along to the shop and buy what they suggest.  

50m is a common rope length, maybe a bit long for indoor, but it does mean you can cut it down when the ends get worn.  I'd go for 8-10 quickdraws.  

As others have suggested, for walls, ikea bags are great.  

In reply to mattrm:

Ok seems that most lengths  ypu buy are  50m or so  so makes sense. I'd rather have more then I need then not enough. 

And if most places indoor have draws already on them then maybe I'll forget about buying them till i need them and just top rope  if I want to climb walls locally and save myself the 80 quid. 

Post edited at 15:00
 krikoman 11 Jul 2019
In reply to UKB Shark:

> If you’re looking to save money then an Ikea bag is serviceable as a rope bag

How come you got a dislike for this?

People are weird, I've used an IKEA bag for 10 years or more. At 50p there's little to beat it on value for money

Post edited at 15:05
 tehmarks 11 Jul 2019

If your use case is indoor leading, southern sandstone and outdoor sport I'd get a 60m rather than a 50m as that will do you for the majority of UK sport and a good amount of foreign sport too. If you're only thinking indoors and southern sandston I'd get a 30-35m. It gets dull carting around and flaking excess rope all the time (in my humble opinion at least).

In reply to tehmarks:

As the later mostly for the next couple years st least   just ordered  a 35m  10mm decathlon  one and one of there rope bags to clip to my pack job done for less then £60

UKB Shark 11 Jul 2019
In reply to krikoman:

> How come you got a dislike for this?

I suspect the Digital Marketing Manager of Acme Ropebags International plc

OP Shaunhaynes99 12 Jul 2019

I've ordered what they refer to as an indoor rope?  I guess I'm still be ok you use it outside on the odd occasion?  Because if not I'll return and swap for something else 

And on the information  is say that 

Number of falls 7. Does that mean I only take 7 falls in the rope then have to replace it? 

Also seem they do slings and biners  pretty cheap too compared to some places but they any good? I've come from fishing where do get what you pay for a lot of the time but do also have brands that have the Nike effect

Post edited at 15:54
 cameronmurdoch 12 Jul 2019

The short answer is no, you can take considerably more than than 7 falls before retiring the rope.

That number is part of the UIAA rope tests and is performed with a very big fall, (fall factor 1.77 I think), which is essentially impossible indoors (or when single pitch climbing outdoors), as it would require falling past your belayer and typically the floor gets in the way. This type of fall is not recommended, although it won’t damage your rope!

Normal indoor falls have fall factors much less that 1, perhaps around 0.2.

silhouette 13 Jul 2019

Good choice but why do you even need a rope bag at all if the rope fits in your rucksack?  You need some sort of tarp to keep the rope / your shoes clean and rope bags do have tarps but rope bags are supposed to be instead of rucksacks, not in addition to.

OP Shaunhaynes99 14 Jul 2019
In reply to silhouette:

If I go bouldering  I dont need to take a rope  but I guess it easy enough to take a  tarp and rope out of the rucksack 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...