UKC

Personal recommentaions for Guides Tryfan, Crib G

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
CebuUp 20 Sep 2018

Afternoon all,

Just a quick one really, I have been offered leave this Saturday and may head to North Wales.

I am still a fairly new climber and wanted to test out my tolerance to some exposure with a Grade 1 scramble, general consensus is Tryfan North Ridge would be a ideal route for this?.

As a Mountain novice and living in the Lowlands Of London, I think a guide would be a sensible idea so for the more experienced folks here who would you recommend as a point of call for such venture.

Sadly I will be on my own as my mates Darn Sarf all tend to be lazy pub dwellers and the misses has a funny turn with anything taller than a average staircase in a typical semi..

Regards  

Deadeye 20 Sep 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

You really dont need a guide for either of those.  Just take it steady; you can always go back.

CampusBored 20 Sep 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

Hi Cebu, as Deadeye mentions, you shouldn't need a guide for Tryfan's North Ridge as it's relatively low exposure with easy escape routes for the trickier bits.

I'm posting as I was also mulling over my weekend escapades and Tryfan's / Bristley Ridge are on the list.

If you're committed to going and decide against a guide, give me a shout and we can sort something out for Saturday.

CebuUp 20 Sep 2018
In reply to Deadeye:

Thanks for confidence boost but currently my luck with anything feels like if I had a pet fish it would drown..

TBH it is a comfort blanket, I have walked up Snowden via the PYG then back via Minors and that is about my experience of being higher than a small mound of dirt in Clapham Common.

I have read copious post of people not going the correct way either going up or coming down on Tryfan and simply want to learn a bit as I go. I know it is the softy approach but hey that happens when you are 5 hours from abything worth scrambling.

Regards

mysterion 20 Sep 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

Tryfan north ridge is ideal, limited exposure compared to Crib Goch. Just follow the path up from the little gate on the road, there should be a few people doing the same. When you come to a fan of stones turn right and you are then on the north ridge. Stay high on the ridge and you won't get lost. Left hand side is easier, right hand side is harder (so if you need to turn back you should veer a little to the right going down to avoid difficulties).

It's great fun but keep an eye on the weather forecast, not so good in wind and rain.

Post edited at 14:24
 mike123 20 Sep 2018
In reply to CebuUp: sounds to me that you would like a days instruction , including crib goch ( no idea if this is correct spelling ) and there really is nothing wrong with knowing your limits and staying in your comfort  zone . There are several north wales based MIA s and MIC s who post  on here and I'm sure any one of them would do a good job. Why not try Caff ? ( james mchaffie ) , I have no idea if he will do this as opposed to just doing climbing days but if hes free I would hazard a bet that he does / would . I'm also willing to bet that somebody will think this is a silly suggestion ,but despite being one of ( or perhaps the best ) trad climbers in the world , he does work for a living. 

Edit :

http://www.jamesmchaffie.com/

Post edited at 14:40
 DrJP 17 Oct 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

Put a post in the Scrambling and Mountaineering UK group in FB and tag along with someone. That's what I did.

Welsh Kate 17 Oct 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

I did this, over a decade ago, because I was doing Tryfan's north ridge solo and wasn't confident enough to do it without someone to guide / coach me. Because it's a relatively short scramble, and I'd got an instructor for a day, we spent the afternoon going through some scrambling and basic rope-work skills after we'd done Tryfan. So this turned out to be a valuable learning experience as well as me getting to 'do' Tryfan.

HBBS 18 Oct 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

have to agree with most posts here, you dont need a a guide for tryfan N ridge. Provided you take your time and dont take a gully that you cant confidently back down you shouldnt have any trouble. Personally I`d say tryfan was an ideal choice for someone begining to scramble- just pay attention to the conditions. Poor conditions can easily add a grade to any climb or scramble. ENJOY!!!

TXG 18 Oct 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

Hi Cebu.  I'm afraid I don't have any recommendations for Mountaineering instructors, but I just wanted to say I think you're right to want some more experienced company when you head off scrambling as you're new to the mountains.

If you don't know what polished rock looks like, or have a half decent reference point for what grade 1 ground is, then it's pretty easy to get yourself into something you'll struggle to get out of.  Plus, it's amazing how a little cloud can turn up the seriousness dial in no time at all.  

In this country we're blessed with Mountaineering Instructors  who will teach things like movement, routefinding and ropework skills on your way to the summit, rather then just dragging you up.  The plan you have will very likely give you some lasting skills to deal with the stuff I mentioned above, and an excellent foundation to build on in future.  The base level of instruction is excellent.  I'm sure you'll find the right person for you.

Best of luck - and enjoy the learning.

Tom

Post edited at 20:20
 jezb1 19 Oct 2018
In reply to CebuUp:

www.ami.org.uk has a find an instructor feature for anyone after a Mountaineering Instructor.

Enjoy Tryfan! It was my first proper mountain day about 22 years ago and has lead to a lifetime of adventures and a career in the outdoors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...