UKC

Recovering from Laser surgery on lower back L4/5

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Fazal Farooq 24 Dec 2019

HI, 

I have been climbing for quite a few years now, and in the last few years with several slipped discs in a condition called spinal stenosis. With the use of painkillers and sticking to climbs where I can control my movement on the wall as precisely, statically and carefully as possible. 

I had my operation carried out just under a week ago whereby, the procedure was called laser discectomy. 

I wanted to ask, what the best way would be to return to rock climbing, preferably bouldering or doing circuit training at the local wall. 

I have been rehabilitating the area every day with water based exercises, yoga/pilate type movements and with minimal impact light bodyweight training. I have regained decent mobility in lower body although, this is based on not doing anything hard and heavy. 

Any help and support will be greatly appreciated. 

I hope you have great holidays, a new year and have time to send a response. 

Regards,

Fazal

webbo 24 Dec 2019
In reply to Fazal Farooq:

Would you not be better asking your medical team for advice rather than random people on the internet.

OllyD 24 Dec 2019

A physio who knows about climbing is probably  best to talk to. If you can't find one who knows about climbing, when recovering from a spinal injury I used auto-belays alot, as they give a low impact fall. Ask a physio when getting going, when to start and how to warm up. Back pain can take a couple of days to appear, so use a bit of discipline/common sense and build up slowly

Andy Hardy 24 Dec 2019

Hi Fazal, I have a weak back (ancient L4/5 injury) so you have my sympathy - but it sounds like you could do yourself some mischief if you had a hard fall or even had to hold one. Get some proper medical advice and follow it (hunt around for a medic who climbs or has climbed if possible)

Best of luck with your recovery.

Fazal Farooq 25 Dec 2019
In reply to Andy Hardy:

Thanks for responding Andy.

I am fairly ok doing Pullups, 

I think the issue bouldering at random angles could cause compression of my spine, which would pose problems, however, it may be possible to do some form of training on the board, where I can control all the movement patterns?

Happy Christmas,

Fazal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...