UKC

Starting Out on My Own

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Mike-P1607 05 Apr 2018

Hi all,

I am relatively new to climbing and new to this forum. I have done plenty of indoor climbing and recently done a tuition climbing course in outdoor climbing with Keswick Mountain Adventures (which was amazing!). I have wanted to get in to climbing properly for a very long time, but never really managed to get a couple of mates that are as keen about it as I am.

I am now wanting to progress and take on outdoor lead climbing, but can't seem to find a belay partner who actually turns up when he/she says they are going to.

Can anybody provide any information about local clubs or gatherings that I can attend? Preferably ones that will not look down on me because I am new to the sport.

I live in Barrow-in-Furness, South West Lakes District. The area is literally littered with amazing climbing opportunities, but I have no one to go with.

Any support or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

SebCa 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Mike-P1607:

Hi Mike,

The best place as many will tell you is though a club, the BMC approved ones are just as good as any and a list of them is here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/find-a-club

I have met up with quite a few people from here and had some great days and learnt a lot but a local club will give you a good grounding and look after you.

Welcome to the fold and enjoy getting your fingers muddy!

Mike-P1607 11 Apr 2018
In reply to SebCa:

Hi, 

Thank you for your help and information, it's much appreciated. I can't wait to get out there. 

Sayon 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Mike-P1607:

Hi Mike

I grew up there, and you'll probably meet local climbers if you go to the quarry on Birkrigg (the small one near the Great urswick crossroads). its a great training facility, the best in Furness, and stays dry for most of the year. Good luck!

JackO3522 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Mike-P1607:

Hi buddy I'm MIA trained and looking for some people to take out this weekend if your free and interetsed? We can cover anything you want to etc

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...