UKC

/ Starting Out on My Own

L Mike-P1607 - on 05 Apr 2018

Hi all,

I am relatively new to climbing and new to this forum. I have done plenty of indoor climbing and recently done a tuition climbing course in outdoor climbing with Keswick Mountain Adventures (which was amazing!). I have wanted to get in to climbing properly for a very long time, but never really managed to get a couple of mates that are as keen about it as I am.

I am now wanting to progress and take on outdoor lead climbing, but can't seem to find a belay partner who actually turns up when he/she says they are going to.

Can anybody provide any information about local clubs or gatherings that I can attend? Preferably ones that will not look down on me because I am new to the sport.

I live in Barrow-in-Furness, South West Lakes District. The area is literally littered with amazing climbing opportunities, but I have no one to go with.

Any support or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

SebCa - on 05 Apr 2018
In reply to Mike-P1607:

Hi Mike,

The best place as many will tell you is though a club, the BMC approved ones are just as good as any and a list of them is here: https://www.thebmc.co.uk/find-a-club

I have met up with quite a few people from here and had some great days and learnt a lot but a local club will give you a good grounding and look after you.

Welcome to the fold and enjoy getting your fingers muddy!

L Mike-P1607 - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to SebCa:

Hi, 

Thank you for your help and information, it's much appreciated. I can't wait to get out there. 

SCC Changed - on 11 Apr 2018
In reply to Mike-P1607:

Hi Mike

I grew up there, and you'll probably meet local climbers if you go to the quarry on Birkrigg (the small one near the Great urswick crossroads). its a great training facility, the best in Furness, and stays dry for most of the year. Good luck!

JackO3522 - on 16 Apr 2018
In reply to Mike-P1607:

Hi buddy I'm MIA trained and looking for some people to take out this weekend if your free and interetsed? We can cover anything you want to etc