UKC

Sunderland Hind street wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mel Turnbull 02 Jun 2018

Sunderland I was passing it yesterday and  wonder how many climbers first started out on it via the OAA .it was one of the first wall up in the area T Nichols ran the place at the time .

andrew sparks 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Mel Turnbull:

Well I actually started climbing with you ... in the days before climbing walls. Crag lough I think in 1972/3.

Happy days, don't think I have been back there for at least 30 years, must have a visit sometime

( Of course Bowden doors is/was better than any climbing wall).

Glad to see you are still active,  hope all is well up North

Regards

Andy Sparks

In reply to Mel Turnbull:

I actually started at the Crowtree Leisure Centre wall on a course run by the OAA. But I became a regular at the OAA wall along with the likes of Ian Weetman, Richie Patta and Callum Phillips.

Of course the Staithes was where the real action was back in the early 80's.

Andy Gamisou 03 Jun 2018
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

> I actually started at the Crowtree Leisure Centre wall

Me too - God help us.  Thankfully the Berghaus wall opened up in Eldon square shortly after.

In reply to Andy Gamisou:

The Crowtree wall was awesome. Soloing a 30 foot high wall with a slightly overhanging finish was probably quite character building. Luckily I moved to Sheffield in 1982 so was able to deal with the delights of real rock and the Sheffield Poly wall.

But the Staithes and the OAA were awesome for their time.

Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2018

It was handy for training to be a cat burglar, that I will concede.

philipivan 24 Jun 2018

my first indoor climbing was at Sunderland wall. it was a struggle to get up by any route as I remember! this was followed by very regular trips to berghaus wall and Wickham Thornes and trips to Scugdale, Kyloe and crag Lough. Miss the NE scene now I'm down in the Midlands...

Andy Gamisou 24 Jun 2018
In reply to philipivan:

> my first indoor climbing was at Sunderland wall. it was a struggle to get up by any route as I remember! this was followed by very regular trips to berghaus wall and Wickham Thornes and trips to Scugdale, Kyloe and crag Lough. Miss the NE scene now I'm down in the Midlands...

You sound like you're my twin.  Did all those too, and also miss the NE scene.  Although I'm not in the Midlands.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...