UKC

Top roping horseshoe quarry

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stevenrob 09 Jan 2019

Are there any routes at horseshoe quarry that can be top roped ? 

deacondeacon 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Stevenrob:

All of them 

Luke90 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Stevenrob:

Assuming that you mean, is there safe and easy access to any of the bolted anchors without having to climb, then no. You could potentially ab off the upper tier to set up a top rope for the lower tier but it's quite a faff.

Looking in the guide, you might just about be able to reach a handful of the anchors by reaching down from the top but it's hard to be certain and that's pretty sketchy at best!

In reply to Luke90:

I haven't been for many years but it used to be possible to reach a lot, if not most of the lower offs on the main wall by reaching down from the top. I shunted a lot of stuff like this. Re-equipping may have changed this? 

johncook 09 Jan 2019
In reply to harold walmsley:

I hope it has. The routes were polished to death and reducing the ease of top-roping may help to prolong their climability!

Derek Furze 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Stevenrob:

I was there yesterday and someone was shunting routes all across the main wall.  Most of the anchors are close to the top and can be reached from above

Arms Cliff 09 Jan 2019
In reply to johncook:

I don't think the requipping work included unpolishing the routes.

kristian Global Crag Moderator 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Stevenrob:

Nearly all of the decent routes on the main wall (6b+ to 6c+) are incredibly easy to set up. Just lie down on the flat ledge and and reach down to the anchors. You can just hand traverse the solid top to move from one route to the next. All the lower offs have a mallion and rings attached to the new resin bolts this is to try and combat the bad practice by inexperience/lazy users top roping direct and trashing the bolts.

kristian Global Crag Moderator 09 Jan 2019
In reply to Stevenrob:

What grade? The easier the route the harder and more treacherous the set up will be. As with most of Peak limestone the quality desends with grade.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...