UKC

Trango tower gtx for Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 danielhand24 03 Nov 2019

I've just brought a pair of Trango tower gtx boots. These boots will be my first winter boots for winter walking and easy climbs. I'm booked into an intro into winter mountaineering at glenmore lodge in Jan and hope to get out with a club too.

I'd fully intended to get a pair of Manta pro's as id read that they would be best for Scotland and winter (durable, insulated, B2). However they didnt fit well at the heel, where as the trango's fit like a glove.

I asked if they would be appropriate for the course, winter and C2 crampons. Assured yes and that instructors/guides wear them.

However now I'm now having second doubts; I read the review on this site:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/all_round_b1-b2_mou...

and

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/la_sportiva_trango_...

The group test suggests the boot is B1.5 and some retailers list it as B1 not B2. Does this mean that c2 crampons will be unsuitable?

It doesn't help that LaSportiva's website lists them as treking/viaferata boots, while the trango cubes, which seem to be similar are listed as mountaineering boots.

Does anyone have any experience of these boots and there suitability?

GHawksworth 03 Nov 2019
In reply to danielhand24:

They are almost exactly the same specs as the manta pro and a full B2 boot. The main difference is the fit, which you are already aware of.

I sell mountain boots for a living and these are perfect boots for what you want them for.

Worry not and have a great time!

andyd1970 03 Nov 2019

Technically the boots will be stiff enough, it’s just whether they will be warm enough for the Cairngorms in winter.

These are an Alpine boot but fit is very important too. 

OP danielhand24 03 Nov 2019

Thanks for the replies.

In reply to andyd1970:

Is warmth a personal thing, never had problems with cold or hot feet, would warm socks compensate?

DaveHK 03 Nov 2019
In reply to andyd1970:

> Technically the boots will be stiff enough, it’s just whether they will be warm enough for the Cairngorms in winter.

The reviews say they're plenty warm. Personally I don't think insulation is a major issue for Scottish winter unless you suffer in that regard (poor circulation etc) or are standing around for ages belaying which is unlikely with what's essentially a walking boot.

In reply to DaveHK:

I guess if I get into the winter stuff and harder climbs/routes, I would need a b3 sometime down the road?

I guess this would be a season or two away at least?

andyd1970 03 Nov 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

I’ve not worn them myself but have spent many a cold day in the Cairngorms, that’s why I questioned whether they would be warm enough but everyone is different.  The boots are designed for rock routes and the occasional glacier and snow crossing. I’ve got the older version the Trango S Evo and only ever used them for rock Alpine and uk rock. I tend to use other boots for Scottish winter but I do run a bit cold.

andyd1970 03 Nov 2019

It is a personal thing and that’s something you would learn with time and most people do then move on to a warmer stiffer boot for more technical stuff but warm dry socks help.

I reviewed these last winter in the group test. These are going to be ideal for what you are looking for.

Warmth wise you'll have no issues at all. I found the sole slightly more flexible that other boots from what I remember. This wasn't really noticable with a crampon on but rather when scrambling and specifically when edging. There's only a slight give, but you can notice it slightly.

One thing to be aware of is the rubber is certainly quite soft and it does wear down faster that other boots I've had. If you've already got summer boots then I'd only wear these in winter to preserve the sole. That said the soft rubber did give good friction on dry rock.

I've never used the Manta Pros, only the Mantas and these felt like a step up from that, so I'm assuming what the Manta Pros would feel like.

Basically I think you've chosen a good boot for what you're looking to do and they're sure to last you many years of winter.

In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Thanks for the advice, from the fit,  weight and edging in the store I will be sorely tempted to scramble in them outside winter!

OP danielhand24 04 Nov 2019

In a similar vein I'm currently looking to pair these with Grivel G12 pneumatics and a DMM raptor 55cm ice axe (I'm 6ft). 

Are these a good choice given my plans?

Street 10 Nov 2019

I've been using a pair of Trango S for the same thing for the last 6 years but the soles have finally given up the ghost on them. They're perfect for me most of the time in winter. I use mine with Grivel G12 Newmatics and have never had a problem with them fitting.

Looking at the new models, what seems to be the difference between the Tower GTX and the Cube GTX? The Tower seems to be pretty much a direct replacement for the Trango S, but not sure if the Cube would be better or not.

Post edited at 21:42
 GHawksworth 11 Nov 2019
In reply to Street:

I had this debate with myself about 18 months ago.

The cube used LS's "cube" last (and rubber unit?) so fits a bit differently, and is a bit more expensive. I ended up with cubes, partly because I managed to get them dirt cheap.

With their durability and flex, I'd probably go for towers if I were to choose from the two again.

Even the LS rep said they're basically the same.

Street 11 Nov 2019
In reply to GHawksworth:

Thanks, I was waiting to see if either came up on offer somewhere and I'd have snapped them up. The Trango S fits me perfectly so if the Cube is a different last it might be worth avoiding unless I can try them somewhere.

I have however just found out that my current boots are salvageable relatively cheaply so I think I'll go that route for now and get them resoled. Hopefully I can get a couple more years use out of them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...