UKC

Via Ferrata

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Richiebizzle 28 Aug 2018

Hi all, have not been on here for about 5 years so hope everyone is still as friendly

I am off to Girona next month and my mate and I are (now married with children) are desperate to get back climbing again, well at least 1 day... anyway as an okay replacement I have found a quite amazing via ferrata, having never done this before would you recommend I take a rope, slings and some abseil gear etc as well as the via ferrata kit?

Its a 6 hour excursion and grade 5. 

Thank you!!!

Post edited at 14:15
 lithos 28 Aug 2018
In reply to Richiebizzle:

assuming you have decent VF gear and helmets...

grade 5 is the top grade,  you may want a short rope (20..30m) and a krab or two if either of you is going to feel nervy.    otherwise go for it and have a blast.  

PS i use cheap cycling /weightlifting fingerless gloves, helps with crappy cables

Babika 28 Aug 2018

I don't think you'll need a rope or abseil gear. It will be more to carry and will detract from the enjoyment. 

Mehmet Karatay 29 Aug 2018

Hi, 

If you've not done via ferrata before, then taking a 30m rope, a couple of quickdraws, a couple of slings and a few screwgates is a great idea. A guide style belay plate and a prusik are also helpful. If you find things are getting a bit scary they can really help and don't end up weighing too much. As you are asking the question chances are this will help you overall, even if they end up staying in the bag the whole day and only provide mental reassurance. If you do take a rope stack it in a dry bag so you don't have to uncoil the rope mid-route.

Also, as with most things in life, sometimes it's best not to chuck yourself in at the deep end. Only you will know your abilities and what your head is like but it might be worth finding a shorter, easier via ferrata before committing to a long difficult one. You may discover a few tricks along the way which might make you bigger day safer, more efficient and enjoyable.

This thread may be worth reading: https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/via_ferrate_grades-510212

Have a great trip,
Mehmet

CPH 13 Sep 2018
In reply to lithos:

I have converted to full finger gloves (as they say).

Fingerless gloves can still lead to skinless fingers (as they say).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...