UKC

Wild camping in Snowdonia

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hubert1982 30 May 2018

Hi everyone!

I am planing a trip to Betws-y-Coed mid August.

I would like to hike for two, three days and wild camp. Just to explore, need to get away feom people for a bit. Any advice? Any places I could wild camp? Tips? I would appriciate a lot. I never wild camp before so any info would be great.

Thanks!

FinrodFelagund 30 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

In 2-3 days, you could trek from Barmouth to Penrhyndeudraeth. I did this route summer 2013 in 1.5 days: 

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/2156828/Rhinogs

1.5 days was far too fast for me with a heavy pack, it was tough, but 2-3 days should be fine. I camped at Diffwys, and on another occasion I have camped at Llyn Hywel just below Rhinog Fach. Both were lovely spots.

My route up Moel Ysgyfarnogod following the dry stone wall was not good, and I would suggest researching alternative paths up. 

The Rhinogs are one of my favourite areas in Snowdonia. They're much quieter than the big peaks further to the North. 

If you have a car, then you could leave it at Barmouth and get the train back to it from Penrhyndeudraeth. The line is one of the old fashioned ones that survived the Beeching Axe, so every few minutes it stops in a coastal hamlet. Very quaint. 

**edited for typos**

Post edited at 11:42
In reply to Hubert1982:

Technically you shouldn't be wild camping anywhere without the permission of the landowner. 

In practise, in Snowdonia, as long as you are unobtrusive (site away from any dwellings, pitch late, strike early, no fires, no litter) you can camp pretty much anywhere you like. 

Look on the map for sites that are flat and dry (not always easy to find!), are sheltered from expected winds and most people camp near a water source. Plan alternatives though in case your favoured spot is wet or has other campers /dead sheep etc when you get there.

pasbury 30 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

In general people will not tell you where to wild camp as it might lead to crowding of someone's cherished spot and also because half the fun is doing the planning for yourself.

Be aware that it can sometimes be pretty hard to find a flat and level spot near to water when you're in the hills. Allow time to find one!

Leave absolutely nothing behind - even your teabags can take ages to go.

subtle 30 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

> I would like to hike for two, three days and wild camp. Just to explore, need to get away feom people for a bit. Any advice?

If I wanted to get away from people there are plenty of places I would chose ahead of Betws-y-Coed in mid August!

Good luck, enjoy yourself and I hope you find what you are looking for.

GrahamD 30 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

To get away from people, head South towards the Arans, then West towards the Rhinogs.

NigelHurst 30 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

There were people camping at the lakeside just off Miners path last saturday, certainly not getting away from people!!

SouthernSteve 30 May 2018
In reply to NigelHurst:

We camped just below Snowdon by the side of Glaslyn in the 80s and getting up very very early to avoid any comments/complaints we were met by a little old lady and her grand daughter walking up the miners track in flip flops. It seems sometimes you can't break camp early enough!

Bernard Shakey 30 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

What about the roundabout connecting the A55 and the A5 near Bangor / Bethesda, its massive ! and it's got a little chef (thief) about 2 minutes away as an added bonus 

removed user 31 May 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

My advice is to use a bivy bag rather than a tent. You'll save loads of space, weight and time setting up and taking down. Plus it's a lower profile so you're less likely to get busted.

Also leave no trace. Have fun! 

FinrodFelagund 31 May 2018
In reply to removed user:

> My advice is to use a bivy bag rather than a tent. You'll save loads of space, weight and time setting up and taking down. Plus it's a lower profile so you're less likely to get busted.

My advice is (especially as you're new to wild camping) only do this if rain is not forecast. If it's raining when you want to go to bed, you'll bring water with you into the bivvy bag. This is maybe ok if you're confident in your gear choices, but it could make for a miserable 3 days . 

Phil1919 31 May 2018
In reply to FinrodFelagund:

Yes, I'd agree. Lot more comfortable night in a tent.

GrahamD 31 May 2018
In reply to removed user:

Personally I hate bivvy bags.  Only used if totally pressed for space.

Hubert1982 01 Jun 2018

Yes I am aware of The rules and camping on private land and I have up most respect for nature and environment so no leaving rubbish behind...

In addition I dont have a car and will be coming to Snowdonia on a train from London. Where else can get on a train in to Snowdonia?

Also need to purchase a tent and a sleeping bag. I would appriciate any guidance.  I am willing to spend £150 on a tent and £50 on a sleeping bag is that enough? 

Sleeping bag... going in August what temperature?

Cheers!

Hubert1982 02 Jun 2018

Yes I am aware of The rules and camping on private land and I have up most respect for nature and environment so no leaving rubbish behind...

In addition I dont have a car and will be coming to Snowdonia on a train from London. Where else can get on a train in to Snowdonia?

Also need to purchase a tent and a sleeping bag. I would appriciate any guidance.  I am willing to spend £150 on a tent and £50 on a sleeping bag is that enough? 

Sleeping bag... going in August what temperature?

Cheers!

dilatory 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

If you only want to travel by train then you can also get to Porthmadog. It's a long journey though. You can get to Bangor in 3.30 on a train and get buses into Ogwen / or Caernarfon into Llanberis etc. 

Alternatively same route but get off at Llanfairfechan, get into northern Carneddau and walk south to Ogwen valley / Capel Curig before hopping on a bus back to Bangor.

As a local, the idea of Betws in August fills me with dread. 

pasbury 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

If you can still get the the Vango Banshee 200 is a great tent for the money. Cramped for two but manageable. There could be some around at bargain prices.

50 quid for a sleeping bag is a pinch but in August you can get away with something from Decathlon.

Post edited at 11:27
 wilkesley 02 Jun 2018
In reply to Hubert1982:

Have a look at http://v-g.me.uk/TripsPhotos/TripsPhotosArea.htm for some ideas. If you are coming by train, the Carneddau are probably the easiest to access. The Arans are one of the least tourist infested areas, but not sure if you can get to Bala via public transport.

The Carneddau offer many good wild camping places. However, you will probably have to carry all your water, as there are few/none water sources on the summits.

Post edited at 12:53
removed user 04 Jun 2018
In reply to GrahamD:

No love for the humble bivy bag on UKC! I view mine as a waterproof cover for my sleeping bag. Plus its got a tent type pole to keep it off my face if I have to zip it up because of midges or weather. There's a few meteor showers I would've missed if I'd been under canvas.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...