UKC

Petzl Lorry Raided!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
epik 09 Nov 2004
I am sure this has been talked about already but just noticed this on the lyon website and wondered if anyone has heard if any gear has been recovered?

www.lyon.co.uk

I've had the odd bits of gear stolen from the crag when i wasnt watching but this is taking it to a whole other level!
epik 09 Nov 2004
In reply to epik: sorry forgot the http

http://www.lyon.co.uk
 LankyPaddy 09 Nov 2004
I think keeping our eyes on FleaBay would be the best thing
 Philip 10 Nov 2004
It'll be obvious if anyone's selling this. They'd be selling it at a reasonable price! I mean £30 for and LED torch is taking the mickey when the parts can be made and assembled for under £5!
styman 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip: Why don't you go into business then if it's that simple. I look forward to seeing your £5 retail torch in the shops !
 lewis 10 Nov 2004
In reply to epik: I can't imagine it being easy to sell Quark Ice axes at the local market

In reply to Philip: That's business. Get used to it.
epik 10 Nov 2004
In reply to lewis:
> (In reply to epik) I can't imagine it being easy to sell Quark Ice axes at the local market

no well maybe there is a uni club currently walking around looking like petzl sponsored climbers

cant imagine the industrial harnesses will be that easy to shift down the pub either!
 Philip 10 Nov 2004
> (In reply to Philip) Why don't you go into business then if it's that simple. I look forward to seeing your £5 retail torch in the shops !

I said £5 cost. You could make a good profit making a product like the Tikka for £10. I don't need to sell over priced torches to make a living so I won't be going into the market.

andi_e 10 Nov 2004
In reply to epik: surprise surprise, the north-west was were it happened! and warrington n'all!
 Simon Caldwell 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip:
If you think you can make a living selling something like that for just twice cost price then it's a good thing you don't run your own manufacturing business
styman 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip: I'd stick to being a chemist if I were you as you don't know much about manufacturing,distributing or retailing. The parts may only cost a fiver but you have to pay to make the product,labour, rent, rates, vat etc etc then you have to package and ship the goods to a distributor who then has the same issues with rent, wages rates vat etc as well as marketing costs. Then you have to ship to a retailer who has the same costs all over again. Some manufacturers ship direct to retailers in the UK but they still have the same issues with distributors when they export. Its a very competitive market out there, if a product can be produced alot cheaper without compromise then it generally is. There are cheap Petzl Tikka copies available but no where near the same quality as the real thing.
 Philip 10 Nov 2004
In reply to styman:

Are they not assembled in Asia where workers are paid pence per day? If they're made in Europe I can see why they cost more. I bought an LED torch for £1.50 from Hong Kong, it has a very bright LED.
styman 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip: All petzl lighting is assembled in France.
IainM 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip: Which probably does not meet European CE standards.

For the first and only time I bought some cheap import electronic toy for my nephew and the circuit board tracks kept burning out. Every time I fixed it at work, it just chased the problem elsewhere. I took it back and got my money back.

Moral of the tale - you get what you pay for. Let us know if you torch still works in 6 months time.
 Barra 10 Nov 2004
In reply to epik:

Ssshhhh, kepp this to yourself, right, but do you wanna buy a Tikka for £5???

Luv Barra! xx
 Chris Fryer 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip: Do you mix your own drugs too. Things like development and research have to be costed in too, as any drug company will tell you. A head torch requires a bit more complicated manufacturing than an LED torch even if it is very bright, unlike certain things.

epik 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Barra:
> (In reply to epik)
>
> Ssshhhh, kepp this to yourself, right, but do you wanna buy a Tikka for £5???
>
> Luv Barra! xx

no thanks but i'll have one of those navano complete harnesses for a tenner, reckon i'll look the daddy next time i go to the local wall!
 Matt Rees 10 Nov 2004
In reply to epik:

What I find scary is the choice of swag.

I can see the little scally bastards now.

"eh - these torches look expensive - eh - and these knives will be perfect down the local - and I'll take this axe in case the bizzies turn up......"
 Barra 10 Nov 2004
In reply to epik:

Too late, they've already gone at £15 a piece!

Luv Barra! xx
OP Anonymous 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Chris Fryer:

> Do you mix your own drugs too?

I do. Wanna try some?
 Jules C 10 Nov 2004
In reply to Philip:
> (In reply to styman)
>
> Are they not assembled in Asia where workers are paid pence per day? If they're made in Europe I can see why they cost more. I bought an LED torch for £1.50 from Hong Kong, it has a very bright LED.

And your point? Buying an LED torch in the low cost economy in which it's made is far less expensive than a Petzl headtorch bought in a Western economy 6000 miles from the point of manufacture? Well ...... yeahh
OP Anonymous 12 Nov 2004
In reply to epik:

You'll probably find most of this stuff selling in Liverpool. It's a favourite trick. They find a truck and just steal what is in it and then drive back to Liverpool to flog the stuff. It will be long gone by now.
I know because this happened to one of our supply trucks, but they got caught in the act by the passing plod. And this was in Preston, so Warrington is even closer to Liverpool!
John M 12 Nov 2004
In reply to Anonymous:

Two scousers are riding along the M62 from Manchester to Liverpool on a motorbike. They break down and start hitching a lift. A friendly trucker stops to see if he can help and the scousers ask him for a lift. He tells them that he has no room in the wagon, as he is carrying 20,000 bowling balls. The scousers persuade the driver that they can fit in the back with the 20,000 bowling balls, so he agrees.
They manage to squeeze themselves and their motorbike into the back of the wagon so the driver shuts the doors and gets off on his way. By this time he is really late and so puts his foot down.

Sure enough, a police car pulls him over for speeding. The officer asks the driver what he is carrying & the driver sarcastically replies, " Scouse eggs". The policeman obviously doesn't believe this & so he takes a look.
He opens the back door and quickly slams it and locks it shut.

He rushes back to his cruiser and gets onto his radio and calls for immediate backup from as many officers as possible.
The dispatcher asks what is the emergency that requires so many officers. "I've got a truck with 20,000 Scouse eggs in it - 2 have already hatched and the b·······s have managed to nick a motorbike already!!"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...