UKC

James Machaffie does 3rd ascent of very big and very small

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
V12 Outdoor 05 Apr 2005
In the race between James and Adam Hocking for the 3rd ascent of The very big and very small, we have a winner. Mr Machaffie bagged it last night with Adam and his split tips coming close too. Interstingly, no one taller than 5 foot 6 has done it yet - is it a reach problem.....
Simon Panton 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Rob at V12 Outdoor: Well done to the young fella. Nothing like a bit of old school marra rivalry to up the ante.

Tell Hockstack to pull his (split) finger out, the Gallt yr Ogof Skyline Buttress beckons.
Dan Jones 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Rob at V12 Outdoor: Excellent effort Mr Caff, well done. No fourth from Mr Hock though? (perhaps he's waiting to do the first one fingerd ascent!)
Good to see you again at the NEC Caff, have a good time on your travels.

Dan
banned profile 74 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Rob at V12 Outdoor:
Interstingly, no one taller than 5 foot 6 has done it yet - is it a reach problem.....

or lack of reach problem!!!!at 5'7" i may try and make the first over 5'6" ascent-all i need
now is more power,technique,stamina,footwork...................

rich
 Ropeboy 05 Apr 2005

Who did the 2nd ascent? JD?
 Dave C 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Ropeboy: Steve McClure I think.
In reply to Dave C: Who did the first and what and where is it?
 Smelly Fox 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Richard Bradley:
I think jonny dawes did the fa. Its on the rainbow slab I think.
 Smelly Fox 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox:
Oh and it gets 8c
 Smelly Fox 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox:
sorry 8b+
 Dave C 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox: You were right first time I think. It's certainly f8c in my guide.
 Smelly Fox 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Dave C:
Its 8b+ in my slate guide. might have had an upgrade since this was printed tho.
OP Anonymous 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox:

Johnny gave it 8c but he was short of a reference point having only climbed up to 8b previously, in a totally different style at Buoux. Ste McClure said it was too odd to compare to a normal sport route but judging by the amount of time it took him to climb it (at the time) it was about 8b+. Be interesting for Caff to give it a grade. No doubt he'd say it's more technical than all the E8s he's done, but safer. It really doesn't matter. It's hard, and unique. Good effort Caff.
 Aly 05 Apr 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox: It's given F8b+ in the new slate guide if that's what your after.
 Adam Lincoln 06 Apr 2005

Was just talking about CAff last night saying he had been quiet. Good effort!

Hope you and family are ok Rob?

Keith Roughley 06 Apr 2005
In reply to Dave C: Naaaa.. Big JD did 2nd ascent if I remember rightly from info from, (the then), High. Oh no got it wrong, of course it was Chris Bon.....ton!!!
Rob Fearn 07 Apr 2005

Good Work, Mr Caff. Good to hear you are staying strong.

The Fearnster.
 EricpAndrew 07 Apr 2005
In reply to Smelly Fox: too hard for you at any rate
V12 Outdoor 07 Apr 2005
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Hi Adam,

Things going well family wise although not much climbing. We've decided to move to sunnier climes/climbs so heading off to the Pyrennees to live at some point in the next year. Whole gorges to develop, loads of established routes, good ice climbing, surfing....Man, I should be in sales.

When you in Wales next? Pop in for a brew, I'll fill you in on the details.

See ya Rob
 Adam Lincoln 07 Apr 2005

Hugo told me, sounds terrrible

Prob be around next few weeks
gambit 07 Apr 2005
man thats totally awesome... who is this james character, i have never heard of him before but i wish i was his friend for some odd reason...
In reply to gambit:

I remember seeing him at Kendal two years ago on film (mostly bouldering) and he seemed to be in a class of his own for sheer brilliance of style as well as awesome technical ability.
 Bob 07 Apr 2005
In reply to gambit:

He's Ray McHaffie's son. Ray being one of the Borrowdale pioneers.

Bob
 Smelly Fox 07 Apr 2005
In reply to EricpAndrew:
its slabby dude you might be ok on it
 Keith Roughley 08 Apr 2005
In reply to gambit:
If I remember rightly this guy had a major epic on Cloggy a couple of years ago...After doing The Bells, The Bells at Gogarth he decided to have a go at Masters Wall on Cloggy....Sort of went tits up and involved antics such as untying from both ropes when half way up the route and then standing on tiny slopers for a couple of hours.....When an ab rope was finally lowered to him he cocked up the knot and 'descended' rather faster than expected...

The guy's not normal...
Cioch 09 Apr 2005

Didn't Big Si from Skye do the second ascent? It was on his 8a.nu scorecard for a while. Si's a big lad, more than five and a half feet anyway, and a bit of a slab monster. You should see him on his 'slippy slab'.

Cioch
Gareth 12 Apr 2005

Great effort Caff. Good to hear that you're still getting out. Just one point though: yours will be the fourth ascent. I soloed it last March...in the rain. And it was dark, from what I can remember. Me headtorch kept falling over me eyes.

Keep up the good work youth.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...