UKC

Make Your Own Chalkbag!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
richardkeys20 09 Apr 2005
I just made my own chalkbag, as my real chalkbag is more like a chalkbomb.

I was cutting a pair of comfy jeans into three quarters and used the leftover quarter to make the bag. Now I have a cool denim chalkbag.

If anyone wishes to make their own (maybe beginners? those bags are bloody expensive!) I'd be more than happy to send pics and instructions.

Rich

p.s. Anyone else manufactured their own gear? I'd love to see some cool designs!
Andy Ayres 09 Apr 2005
In reply to richardkeys20:

wht are chalk bags so expensive £20 for a new one.
In reply to Andy Ayres:

Being me, 20 quid for a bag to put chalk in is quite expensive. I was thinking more for beginners. I'm going to give the one I just made to a mate who has just started climbing with us. I'm pretty sure he'd prefer it to paying 20 quid.

Cheers,

Rich

Friend of mine used a glove puppet of a bat as a chalkbag. Probably the most unique chalkbag around. And quite appropriate, given that this bat was then hanging upside down from the back of his harness.

CCW
Andy Ayres 09 Apr 2005

Sorry i agree £20 is expensive so is most climbing fashion. A chalk bag being a mix between fashion and gear. When i need a new chalk bag I'll being making it unless i can find one under £5
 Wingnut 09 Apr 2005
Anyone else manufactured their own gear? I'd love to see some cool designs!
Yep, have a certain amount of homemade kit knocking around, including a very snuggly pile/pertex top that kept me warm all through the Glencoe meet!
The bat sounds ace!
 TN 09 Apr 2005

I made my friend a chalk bag out of a 2 pound kiddies 'handbag' shaped like a giraffe. It's very cool.
 Smelly Fox 09 Apr 2005
You can make them out of duct tape quite successfully. Good tip for dwsoling. Is there anyting you cant do with duct tape (dont answer that)!
 Chris Plewa 09 Apr 2005
In reply to richardkeys20: I have seen a small plastic bag used at my local wall before. Nice.
 Norrie Muir 09 Apr 2005
In reply to Wingnut:
> (In reply to richardkeys20)
> Anyone else manufactured their own gear?

Dear Wingnut

I made a sac once to go to the alps.

Norrie
 Dominion 09 Apr 2005

> p.s. Anyone else manufactured their own gear? I'd love to see some cool designs!

I have a climbing partner who has made his own hexes (small sized ones), but then he works in a machine shop, so has access to the tools...

And he uses some of them quite regularly, too. They may not be as light as shop bought ones, but they work - mostly used in "chock" rather than in "camming" configuration, but then he mostly uses his shop-bought hexes that way round, too.

He has some other ideas too, and some of them may even be marketable - so I'm not going to divulge them
 StefanB 09 Apr 2005

A friend of mine makes his own ice axes. I have tried one of them and it worked surprisingly well:

http://www.zenadsl6044.zen.co.uk/Steve/IceAxes/Main.htm

Piglet 10 Apr 2005
In reply to TN:

Mate of mine got a "Nemo" from Disney for £3 as end of line. Got rid of the stuffing and made that his chalk bag ... v cool!
 Haggis 10 Apr 2005
 marie 10 Apr 2005
In reply to Haggis: Poor sooty...

I bet the chalk rushes straight to his head!

:oS

Novel idea though!
 Rock Fairy 10 Apr 2005
I've got 2!
A Garfield one, where you shove ya hand up his bum!
Also a Gonzo,squashed on Llwiedd during an epic wi Chris Tan!
 astrecks 11 Apr 2005
In reply to Rose:
> (In reply to richardkeys20)

> A Garfield one, where you shove ya hand up his bum!

I've seen one like this as well, with the appropriate expression on Garfields face too! :-/

Jeff C

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...