UKC

Cuba

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dazzle 19 Oct 2005
I have a rough idea of going to Cuba to climb (only a rough idea @ the moment)

Has anyone been there to climb?
Was it expensive?
worthwhile?
etc.
belmonkey 19 Oct 2005
In reply to Dazzle:

i've been there but didn't get to climb. awesome place. Climbing has been hailed as superb, although it is underdeveloped due to lack of money.

If you do go to go climbing, i've heard people suggest that you bring all your old gear, and give it to the locals who can't get any gear due to trade embargoes and lack of disposable income. the cubans i met when i was there were super folks, really good fun.

Even though i wasn't there to climb I regretted not having some of my stuff to give away.
Paul F 19 Oct 2005
OP Dazzle 19 Oct 2005
In reply to Paul F: Thank you for that link it's got lots of stuff on it.
 CDL 21 Oct 2005
In reply to Dazzle: Vignales is the place to go. Some wonderful climbing - not a huge ammount but what there is is real good,bolted and easy to get to.
Accomodation and food is inexpensive & good.
iceaxe 22 Oct 2005
In reply to Dazzle: have a hire car pre-booked or they will fleece you when you get out there
OP Dazzle 23 Oct 2005
In reply to CDL: did you book accom or sort it while you're out there?
OP Dazzle 23 Oct 2005
In reply to iceaxe: is it worth hiring a car? from the link above it suggests this is not needed and expensive?
iceaxe 23 Oct 2005
In reply to Dazzle: Cuba is much bigger than you think, its roughly the size of the UK and getting around isn't that easy, at least it wasn't when we were there 6 years ago but we had our bikes with us to get around when we got to our destination.
Its just a tip. They will tell you they can't get you a car unless you pay extra 'admin' fees and then charge about $70 a day for a very ordinary car. Its up to you, thats all.

Having said that Cuba is awonderful place and the people are fantastic, scenery beautiful and you can get good food at reasonable prices ie. lobster for $10-15.

Have fun.
 stonewall 23 Oct 2005
In reply to Dazzle:
you can get from Havana to Vinales by bus. There is a 'tourist' bus which costs a bit more but is relatively luxurious. The whole thing was made a lot easier when I was there a couple of years ago by the presence of local climbers who showed us around. Very friendly, helpful people.
Watch out for wasps nests on some of the climbs.
Marts 23 Oct 2005
In reply to Dazzle: Be careful hiring a car. They take your card details as insurance. 2 weeks after we got back £2000 came out of the account. Dodgy feckers. As for climbing, never came across any. Wasn't looking mind.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...