UKC

Which sleeping bag?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mattyk 16 Jan 2006
Right another silly gear question but i need to narrow my list down from all sleeping bags in the world to a handful to try out.

i want a sleeping bag thats
a.) lightweight(ish)
b.) packs small
c.) prefer down because of a and b.
d.) possibly with some waterproofness although not desperately needed
e.) Usage is high level Summer alps, UK winter and occasional low-mid level alpine winter (but could suffer a bit for this).. So i'd say comfort level (not minimum) at -5 to -10ish.

I've had a quick gander at PhD stuff which is good but expensive and i'm unsure of the myriad of designs what is best value! Mountain equipment is also high on the list thanks to magic mountain.. beyond that i have no ideas.. Rab?

If anybodys seen a bargain online then i'd be interested.. I'm prepared to sacrifice a little on a-d if i save a good wad of cash!

Cheers as always for the quality advice and recomendations

Matty K
In reply to Mattyk: alpkit ad 700?

Wish i'd known about them when I got my rab quantum as I could've saved a wad of cash.....oh well. {not sure how good they are though}
 Ander 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: Got to go synthetic mate. How about a North Face Cats Meow, just to get the conversation going.
OP Mattyk 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Ander: Synthetic is very bulky though - down is ok if looked after and with a waterproof cover! I thought you were joking with a name like cats meow.. i checked it and its real

I should also add that i'm of to the states in February so could buy over there too.
 Chris Davids 16 Jan 2006
How about a RAB Quantum 600. I've recently ordered one, it looks like a great bag. -12C comfort rating and weighs just 1180g with the Pertex Endurance shell. Would meet all your criteria.

http://www.rab.uk.com/products_sleep_qseries.html

Otherwise the Alpkit bags look great but unfortunately they've sold out at the moment.
In reply to Chris Davids: I've got the quantum 400, which has been great but i can imagine i'll get a bit chilly in it in winter.........that's the price of lightweight though!
m0unt41n 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: Western Mountaineering - buy from Moosejaw - even with VAT and Customs (3.7%) still a lot cheaper than buying in UK. As good as PhD.
 clipskipper 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk:

you could try these
http://www.alpkit.com/products/alpinedream.php
I was looking but they never seem to have any stock.
 Si dH 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk:
Ive bee looking for somehtin gsimialr and borrowed my mates alpkit 700 over the last few weeks in scotland, it was really good so im going to get one myself.
4 season syntetics Ive seen or haerd about pack to about 5 tiems teh size and are vastly inferior in warmth.
nidge 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk:
Marmot Helium
 Si dH 16 Jan 2006
In reply to clipskipper: aye, theyre short at the moment, think theyre supposed ot be getting more in in feb.
 Chris Sansum 17 Jan 2006
In reply to nidge:

Agreed, Marmot Helium.
willow 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Chris Davids:
> How about a RAB Quantum 600. >

I've got one, when I first used it I was freezing and furious, I'd spent so much money and I'm not a cold sleeper (I've been OK to -15 in a 3 season Vango. Anyway I'd been using a thermarest guide light (or some redish thing with it) so I went back to the good old green therma rest, thank god I didn't ebay it) and I'm toasty again.

So in reply to MattyK I would suggest it may be more or just as important to think about what you're lying on.
 beermonkey 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk:

Got a marmot helium and it's f*ckin fantastic, best bag I've ever used, superlight, superwarm, and really well thought out, hood is sooooooo nice!
 ben b 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: From your original list, I'd suggest looking at ME Lightline (as this is occasionally available as half price stock from some retailers, and fits your description perfectly) or if looking for real handmade quality I'd go for a PHD bag - I had very good service from them and a crazily light bag (a Minimus, which I use for 3 season stuff and weighs less than 500g). Look around for specials, and go for the best down you can get for the price.

Beware US bags that claim to be 800FP as in our money that's significantly less than 800FP (which I gather would be 900+ in the US). I haven't done the sums myself but am just passing on what I've read.

HTH

Ben B
m0unt41n 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: UK fill above 700 and US above 750 is all a bit theoretical. At this level bag materials and construction become as important. No point in having 0.5Kg of the finest hand collected down from hungarian eider ducks if the outside of the bag has a heavy DWR finish that stops the down lofting. Or you are loosing a lot of warmth through a thin mat. Money no object build your own at PHD, under 1Kg Western Mountaineering AlpinLite or VersaLite Super. But loads of others, all are compromises.
 Liam M 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: These are a largely unknown brand, but the one I've got seems quite good. http://www.cumulus-sleepingbags.co.uk/stockists.htm

Sleeping in a soaking wet tent over new year, it might have been expected that the down bag became useless, but it didn't and I stayed cosy and warm in it. So they've obviously got something right. My friends TNF down bag entirely saturated and did become useless.

And some of the models in the temperature range you request seem fairly well priced (www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/Product_Catalogue_Down_Sleeping_Bags_43.html) so they may be worth considering.

Anita 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: I've got a western mountaineering one (one of the pod ones with most of the down on the top / round the feet and a hood). It's very good and very light (packs up tiny), I'm a cold sleeper but it's been excellent so far.
m0unt41n 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Mattyk: The following is a good article on the myths and facts about Down:
http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=417
 hamish2016 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Chris Davids: I've also got a quantam 600 endurance, great bag and the pertex endurance fabric works suprisingly well in keeping the moisture out!
Only downside is it looks like a glorified bin liner!

cheers
hamish

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...