UKC

First E1 Climb

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dougair 17 Jan 2006
I have set myself the goal of climbing my first E1 by the end of the year, what are your recommendations for a good first E1?
In reply to dougair: Wait for the TPS debate to start!
 Skyfall 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

what rough location?
 Joe G 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:
Needle Route, Shelter Stone Crag.

Not that I've done anything on Shelter Stone Crag or lead E1...
OP dougair 17 Jan 2006
In reply to JonC: Doh, that might help, anywhere in the Peak. Thanks
James Jackson 17 Jan 2006
In reply to steve barnbrook:

The debate will not materialise as it is not E1, therefore it is outside of the remit of the question.
Jules King 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

Long Tall Sally on Burbage North.
In reply to dougair:

Milsons Minion (spl?) at Stanage is nice.
miles 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

three pebble slab on frogget. fairly easy, its a test of nerve and your rubber. Or supra direct on millstone, that was my 1st E1, if ya like finger cracks.

miles
In reply to Jules King:

LTS is quite a handful for a first E1. Protection less than 100 per cent when it matters, if you are finding it technically tricky (which it is).

Millsom's Minion a better bet. Bold start to break but then perfect pro at crux.

Namenlos can also be quite well protected now where it matters and is miles a lot easier than either of the aforementioned.
OP dougair 17 Jan 2006
In reply to miles: I think I saw that one when I was at Mill Stone last time, does it have a larger crack to the left of it? If so thats the one I have my sights on at the moment.
 MeMeMe 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

Depends on what kind of climbing you like.

How about Steamin' at Stanage End?
It's not a classic but it's a gentle introduction to E1.
 alj 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

Me TOO! My plan is Easter Rib at Stanage.
Anonymous 17 Jan 2006
In reply to alj:

I'd suggest Namenlos too, easy and well-protected. Or you could go for my own first E1, Tighe's arete at Hobson Moor.

Andy
Kathg 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair: On Peak Limestone I recommend Bicycle Repair man at Staden Quarry. On grit.. how about Embankment 4 at Millstone.. it's safe and not too strenny and not so dependent on jamming as the other embankment routes?
Jules King 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Protection has imoproved in the last couple of years. The blind corner crack has expanded and now takes a Nr1 nut with reasonable security. I agree it was a bit of a handful but I like the fact that it gives a good 'out there' feeling but with good beta is reasonable. Some other low grade E1 lack that need for a bit of thought and planning.
Yorkspud 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

Cemetery Gates? Something to get your teeth into rather than these grit non-entities.
In reply to Yorkspud:

OP requested routes in the Peak.

How about Sirplum?
 Skyfall 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

Namenlos is soft at the grade (place cams around to left before the final ramp) and may help persuade you that E1 is OK.

Long Tall Sally is way harder and pro is iffy. I wouldn't as a 1st E1. Though it was in the first few I did it I found it quite scary. Top route mind.

If you are strong and can hang around placing pro, Strapiombate at Froggatt is well protected and OK.
mtr 17 Jan 2006
In reply to James Jackson: I'm going to have a crack at Sirplum this year. Some people say the climbings HVS, it's just the exposure that gives it E1, so if the OP has a super cool head.....

Disclaimer: the above is rumour!
OP dougair 17 Jan 2006
In reply to mtr: ...hmmm a cool head, I guess I should have, depends just how exposed it is! Its not the height that worries me, its hitting the ground!
Yorkspud 17 Jan 2006
In reply to mtr:

Sirplum - my first E1, but I didn't mind the exposure
mtr 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair: I don't think you'll hit the ground as long as your belayer is awake.

http://www.rockfax.com/databases/results_route.html?id=2131

I think it's quite pumpy aswell.
In reply to Yorkspud:

I can't admit to having done it (would love to though), but it does look fantastic.
 Norrie Muir 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Joe G:
> (In reply to dougair)
> Needle Route, Shelter Stone Crag.
> Not that I've done anything on Shelter Stone Crag or lead E1...

Dear Joe

It is a nice line, and well worth doing. Go for it.

Norrie
mtr 17 Jan 2006
In reply to JonC: Long tall sally was my first E1 but I think I cherry picked it as I had a good idea my height (6'2) would help. I found it easier than some HVS's I've done, but a gain I thing it's a body dimension thing.
 Oli 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair: Strapiombante is solid at E1, and safe to fall off. Possibly not the best first e1 though.

Mississippi Variant Direct (I think) is good. That was my first grit E1 and it only really has one hard, balancy move.
mtr 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: I've just had a look at this Needle Route at http://www.marmotte.co.uk/the_needle.htm
and it's now on my long term tick list.
Are the midges as bad over that side as they are on the west coast?
 Ram MkiV 17 Jan 2006
 pdhu 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

Do you mean GOOD first E1, or good FIRST E1? Cos I suspect the 2 may be mutually exclusive!

3PS is neither.

Down at Chee Tor you'll find both, but I can't remember the names, so you'll have to find out for yourself.

OP dougair 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Steve Ramsden: Kirkus does look good and plenty of pro, will check that out next time i'm at Stanage.
 hutchm 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

At Stanage

Namenlos is soft touch - as mentioned above, you won't deck if you place cams around the corner before launching up the top section. No more than 4c, I would have said.

Anniversary Arete is good value - and at least no-one will see you failing.

And then there's Cent over at High Neb. A nice 4c solo with a good landing.

Coel Hellier 17 Jan 2006
 Ram MkiV 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Coel Hellier: Also makes it a much better route though. You'd have to be pretty crap at climbing to make it up there and fall off though. Even if you did don't think you'd 'smack' into the slab, just get your feet out
 Alun 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:
Namenlos (as others have mentioned) is not good for a first E1, mostly because it actually only easy HVS - especially if you cheat and use the hidden cams.
 stu 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:
I would go for Long Tall Sally which was my first E1. It may not be the easiest E1 but at least you know you have done a proper one. Strapiombante would also be a good choice, I attempted it as my second E1 but fell off!

Stu
 Ram MkiV 17 Jan 2006
In reply to stu: just putting in a negative vote for long tall sally. I think it's hard. I think i climbed it wrong both times i did it though......
As for strapiombante, I don't think it's a good choice. Made easier if you make efficient work of placing the gear on horizontal jams. also easier if you have good stamina. It never relents though and the last reach is 5b. Setting yourself up for failure if you try and do this as an early E1.
Anonymous 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:
do milsoms minion. it'll be downgraded to hvs soon
 IOAN D 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair: go to the dinorwic slate quarries an go on foolsgold E1 5c very well protected, my first E1.

ioan
 Si dH 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

I've done a few soft E1s at Stanage.

Easter Rib
Kirkus's Corner
Mississippi Variant Direct
Namenlos
Millsom's Minion
Pegasus Rib

Will do you for a start. Just work your way along. My favorite of those was MVD or KC (which was my first E1). Nam is the easiest and KC or MM probably the hardest - but they're all soft-touch for the grade.
 Alun 17 Jan 2006
In reply to Steve Ramsden:
> As for strapiombante, I don't think it's a good choice

For a first E1, I agree. I found it pretty straightforward when I was just getting comfortable at E1, but I've seen E2/3 leaders come off that last move.
 Greenbanks 17 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:

If you're fit/confident then LTS will be OK. But I struggled up it...all the way (it represented the top of my grade at the time). You need both qualities to get secure gear in.
 Pythonist 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Si dH:
Must say the Kirkus's Corner gave me the biggest scare I've had in a long time, but I'd agree they're the best ones to start with. I'd add Strampiombo, if you like that sort of thing...
 Oli 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Pythonist: Yes, Stapiombo is nice and pleasant (cue much sniggering).

(I actually found it horrible, and that was just seconding)
 Si dH 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Pythonist:
Stapiombo is one on my to-do list
In reply to dougair: I wouldnt recomend Long tall sally as 1st E1 i found it quite hard with iffy gear...duno if being 5'9 made a difference. If your thinking of going to froggatt then ignore 3 pebble and go to motor cade. its far more rewarding duno why it only gets one star. Rock fax says large low friends barely protect but i got 3 good mirco wires in the pocket above this. Strapiombante is good, the top looks horrible but when you get there its a gripper. Not done Strapiombo is on my list for next time we go. Two sided triange next to 3 pebble is a bit weird, its sort of all over before its started. Hope this helps
 Pythonist 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Si dH:
> (In reply to Pythonist)
> Stapiombo is one on my to-do list

It's brilliant, as I said, if you like that sort of thing. What amused me was getting to the top without using a single jam! Thuggiest way of doing it ever, but it worked...
In reply to Pythonist: Good good thugy is the way to go!
 Cragdog al 18 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair: easter rib is really bold on the 5b climbing wouldnt recommend this as first E1,
try ratline at birchens 1 move wonder but the rest of the climbing is very nice, protected where it matters 3*, this is definately the best one i can think of or missisippi variant direct if your over 5'9" if not the move is a lot harder and gets E2.
OP dougair 18 Jan 2006
In reply to dougair:Well there is certainly lots of ideas here, time to put together a routes wishlist me thinks. Thanks.
Sperm 18 Jan 2006
In reply to Cragdog al:
Ratline @ Birchens is never E1. That was my first HVS.

Boomshanka.

hutchm 19 Jan 2006
In reply to Cragdog al:
> or missisippi variant direct if your over 5'9" if not the move is a lot harder and gets E2.

Thanks for brightening my afternoon! (says 5.7ins two times failure on MV)

sutty 19 Jan 2006
In reply to hutchm:

I was 5.8" when I did it, probably FA as well. Learn to stretch, you reach up now as far as you can then imagine there is a £20 note for you four inches higher if you can touch it. Bet you can.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...