UKC

Cairngorms National Park to be halfed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom Briggs 30 May 2002
So it looks like the Executives have failed to adopt the advice of its own reporter Scottish Natural Heritage on the extensive boundary which would have made the Cairngorms Europe's largest National Park...

Even more extraordinary are the arrangements for planning controls. Those controls largely remain in the hands of local authorities who have presided over current planning disasters such as that facing Aviemore where community plans are being threatened by big business interests.

According to Bill Wright, Cairngorms Campaign Officer:

"For over a decade now it has been recognised by international experts that if the Cairngorms are ever to achieve World Heritage Site status there needs to be integrated planning and management and the widest possible boundary is needed to achieve that. The faint possibility of achieving that accolade now looks about as likely as Scotland winning the World Cup."
 Rubbishy 30 May 2002
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:

Tom - Very worring, pity everybody is too busy arguing about who lost Jude's ball and why Sloper never has to do the washing up.

Are we able to challenge the dictat from high in the European courts, if we are to have a more rounded and progressive attitude towards our natural resources
 Doug 30 May 2002
In reply to John Rushby:
Seems we have till end of August to make comments although I've no idea what notice they'll take of our letters.

Seems a shame that after 50 odd years of campaigning we'll end up with something that wouldn't be considered a National Park at all anywhere else, all in the home country of the guy who first pushed the idea of National Parks.
bigbertie 30 May 2002
In reply to Doug: who do we make comments to? I would like to make some.
 Rubbishy 30 May 2002
In reply to bigbertie:

I would like to respnd - at what stage is this proposal/amendment - are we still at the consultative stage or is it now damage limitation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...