UKC

Lightweight Alpine/Winter Rucsac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NathanP 30 Mar 2006
I'm looking to buy a new rucsac for UK winter climbing and alpine use (and by default for general mountain use year-round) in the 40-50l range and want to go as light as possible without sacrificing a lid, hip belt and all comfort. I'm not bothered about axe loops as I prefer to put the axes through the compression straps but a bungy to hold wet crampons on the back would be nice.

One problem I have found previously is back length, with many rucsacs being too short in the back; I'm not particularly tall, just under 6' so this seems a bit odd.

I want something substantially lighter than the 1.6kg of my current rucsac, without spending a fortune. Under 1kg and £70 would be nice but perhaps not achievable.

I'm thinking of the Lowe Alpine Attack Hyperlite or Grivel Alpine Lite.

Any comments on those two or alternatives I should consider?
 billy.granty 30 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP: i hear the pod sacks are quite good. they do a mega light alpine one then the Black Ice which is 50L and i think im gonna get. try needle sports in keswick. theyve got a website, just google.
In reply to NathanP: ANOTHER VOTE FOR POD THIN ICE.

has lid, hip belt and padding, has compression loops and a crampon bungy.

under 1kg

seems to fit you down to a tee.

also avalivle in 3 sizes.
Simon22 30 Mar 2006
In reply to billy.granty:

The mega-light POD sack is the Thin Ice which weighs 990g! I considered buying one but went for the Crux AK47 which weighs only 1.2kg and is said to be more robust.
OP NathanP 30 Mar 2006
In reply to Simon22:

I'd seen the Thin Ice but £120 was rather more than I wanted to pay and it 50+10l is certainly bigger than I was looking for.

Big fan of Needle Sports by the way: a real climbing shop.
 Lbos 30 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP:

I have the 45l LA Hyperlite. Cost 80e. Rate it muchly.
Deejay 30 Mar 2006
OP NathanP 31 Mar 2006
In reply to Deejay:

Thanks for that suggestion, looks really interesting. I'll probably be in Keswick in May so a visit to Needle Sports (I guess they'll have the OMM sack as they have their others) to compare the various options seems in order.

Thanks everybody for the comments. Nobody with the Grivel sack though?
 Craig Geddes 31 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP: The Lowe Apline Attack Hyperlite seems to be nice - I use the full weight version and like it a lot.
 kevinknights 31 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP: I've got the grivel sack, I like it a lot - no crampon bungy though. Seems to be tough enough. Everything you want for scottish winter fits in happily.

Kevin
 MJH 31 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP: If you are not bothered about ice axe loops how about one of the Kimm sacs now sold under the OMM brand? Very light and functional. I would question whether you really need 40+ litres for the alps.
 Moodo 31 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP: Stay away from the bigger sack for the Alps -you'll just carry more stuff you dont need and then regret it! If going light is your aim then 40l is plenty. No point in buying an ultralight bag that has extra volume for stuff you really shouldn't be carrying. The Low Alpine Mountain Attack gets my vote every time.
 David Hooper 31 Mar 2006
In reply to NathanP: Had the Grivel with the old back pattern and I cant fault it. Used in Scotland,Alps and for water ice routes. Light but tough, comfortable, all theb features you need but no extrasneous gimmicks + you can piggyback their little 15(?)L sac on the outside of it if you want extra capacity.
 TobyA 01 Apr 2006
In reply to kevinknights:
> (In reply to NathanP) I've got the grivel sack, I like it a lot - no crampon bungy though.

I know at least two people who have ruined trips loosing a crampon from under the "crampon bungy". Either stick them in the sack or make sure they are clipped in somehow ie. use a quickdraw and clip the toe bails in to something solid on the sack.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...