UKC

Sheffield – The Centre Of The Climbing Universe? Discuss

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 MattH 03 Apr 2006
Some people seem to think so. Personally I’m not so sure. Ever been to Yosemite or Chamonix? Regardless of its status on the world climbing front Sheffield has never hosted a climbing film festival. Not until now. Check out http://www.shaff.co.uk. April 21st-23rd. Come along. There’s a stack of awesome films. It’s cheap and there’s a party on the Saturday night. If the weather is good you can climb in the Peak during the day and watch films by night (and if it rains there are films on during the day too!).

There are a couple of competitions running if you want to try winning some free tickets. Check out the bottom of http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=187 or page 58 of Summit Magazine.

Hope to see some of you there.

MattH
OP MattH 03 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:

For a chance to win five free tickets to SHAFF all you have to do is answer these questions. The winner will be announced on April 10th.

1. What day and time will the film featuring Eric Jones climbing the Eiger be shown?
2. What is the ticket sales telephone number?
3. What films would you like to see at next year's event?

Email your answers to ukclimbing@shaff.co.uk

On April 10th one name will be drawn at random from the list, winning five tickets.

yoghourt 03 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH: Are they showing that film where people who shamelessly try to turn climbing into a commodity get thrown off the tops of mountains?
 MikeTS 04 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:

Where's sheffield?
 george mc 04 Apr 2006
In reply to MikeTS:

I thinks it's near Scotland.

Cheers fur noo
George Mc
OP MattH 04 Apr 2006
In reply to yoghourt:

Hi Yoghurt,

I'd love to be a little less shameless about things, but needs must. It's the first year of the event and in order for it to work it needs people to hear about it.

MattH
 MikeTS 04 Apr 2006
In reply to george mc:

Oh
Is there any decent rock nearby?
OP MattH 04 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:

The winner of the first prize of 5 tickets is Mads Hannibal. The second winner will be annouced on April 10th.

Thanks,
MattH
 george mc 04 Apr 2006
In reply to MikeTS:
Rosyth Quarry is close - quality )

Cheers fur noo
George Mc
 IOAN D 04 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH: LLANBERIS!!!!!!!!!!! NORTH Wales YEAH!!!
OP MattH 06 Apr 2006
In reply to IOAN D:

I'm curious. The competition for free tickets has been running on UKClimbing for a month now and just 6 people have responded. A similar comp on Outdoorsmagic, running for a similar length of time has had over 125 entries. Are UKClimbing users simply more cynical? If so, what about? Are they not interested in film festivals? Just curious that's all.

MattH
 g taylor 06 Apr 2006
In reply to yoghourt:
> (In reply to MattH) Are they showing that film where people who shamelessly try to turn climbing into a commodity get thrown off the tops of mountains?

...yawn
 Katie Weston 06 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:
Already have tickets for the only time I'm free or I would have entered.
 Norrie Muir 07 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:
> I'm curious. The competition for free tickets has been running on UKClimbing for a month now and just 6 people have responded. A similar comp on Outdoorsmagic, running for a similar length of time has had over 125 entries. Are UKClimbing users simply more cynical? If so, what about? Are they not interested in film festivals? Just curious that's all.

Dear Matt

Well, for one, your advertising maybe not as professional as you think.

Norrie
OP MattH 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Hey Norrie,
I never claim that I am an expert in advertising. I'm always open to feedback if you'd care to expand. Thanks.
MattH
 Norrie Muir 07 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)

> I never claim that I am an expert in advertising. I'm always open to feedback if you'd care to expand. Thanks.

Dear Matt

Posts on this website that end with 'Discuss' are usually posted by spotty schoolboys or trainee teachers.

Now, if that is your target audience, the offer to climb in the Peak during the day would be of little interest, unless it was to climb at The Edge.

If, you had used text speech in your post, more would have understood your message.

I hope this is helpful, if you want more details, my fee is £1000 per day.

Norrie
OP MattH 07 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Norrie. I'm sure you are worth every penny, but alas our marketing budget won't stretch that far. Thanks for the free taster though.

MattH
fjellrunner 08 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH: Ignore them MattH, it will be a great success! The people of Sheffield and beyond will come whether they're regular forum-viewers or not. Good on you for trying instead of living off a bit of climbing you did 20 years ago and now only contributing by moaning to the currently active. Cheers!
 Ian McNeill 09 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
aI was going to offer my services but you fee of £1000 is a bargin shame on you bringing down the consultany fees to a silly level.

Norrie Muir 09 Apr 2006
In reply to Ian McNeill:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> aI was going to offer my services but you fee of £1000 is a bargin shame on you bringing down the consultany fees to a silly level.

Dear Ian

I was being charitable, as it is a non profit making organisation.

Norrie
 jethro kiernan 10 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:
sheffield nice place but when I first moved there I had to squat in a cellar with a training board set up by ben moon etc is this a commen intro to sheff or was i just unlucky
 tony 11 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:
> (In reply to IOAN D)
>
> I'm curious. The competition for free tickets has been running on UKClimbing for a month now and just 6 people have responded. A similar comp on Outdoorsmagic, running for a similar length of time has had over 125 entries. Are UKClimbing users simply more cynical? If so, what about? Are they not interested in film festivals? Just curious that's all.
>
If they're anything like me, they tend not to read the Premium Posts. I only read this one so I could post a smart-arse reply to the effect that Dumbarton is the centre of the UK's climbing universe.
 Norrie Muir 11 Apr 2006
In reply to tony:
I only read this one so I could post a smart-arse reply to the effect that Dumbarton is the centre of the UK's climbing universe.

Dear tony

You will have the wrath of a bunch of spotty faced youths after you when they get back from an indoor wall.

Norrie
Paul F 11 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:

Sheffield is the centre of the climbing universe, how come it doesn't get it's own Urban Climbing Contest?
miles 18 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:

Too right Sheffields the centre of everything. The only reason there are so many people in Chamonix is because half of Sheffield migrate over there. can ya tell im from sheffield?

miles
 Laubie 20 Apr 2006
In reply to miles:

Sheffield is in the centre of the UK, but not the centre of British climbing. There is vast diversity.

It is handy to go to Scotland, N+S Wales

Personally I find the Sheffield not North or south enough. Its a bit lost there in the middle, have produced some good climbers but then so has Manchester/Wales/SW/Scotland
 Norrie Muir 20 Apr 2006
In reply to Laubie:
> Personally I find the Sheffield not North or south enough. Its a bit lost there in the middle,

Dear Laubie

I hope you are not implying it is an a*sehole of a place.

Norrie
 Laubie 21 Apr 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: Dear Norrie,

I think that dart nearly hit the bulls eye!

Laubie
 flatnose 22 Apr 2006
In reply to MattH:

C'mon everyone knows Bentham is the center of UK Climbing
OP MattH 24 Apr 2006
In reply to flatnose:

Just a note to say thanks to all those who turned up over the weekend to ShAFF. Despite doing rain dances every night last week the weather gods decided to give us some sun on both Saturday and Sunday - grrr. However plenty of people still braved the indoors to come and watch films. In fact we sold out on most of the evening screenings.

If you were there and have any feedback that you didn't leave on the forms please feel free to email me some at matt@heason.net If you weren't there, but have any ideas or comments on running future ShAFF's please get in touch.

Anybody who contacts me with constructive comments before Monday 1st May I'll enter into the draw for a Patagonia jacket, 100l Jagged Globe kitbag, rucksack from The North Face, 3 Black Diamond Head Torches, or 4 Orikaso Picnic Sets.

If you'd like me to let you know when the next ShAFF is going to be, then drop me an email.

Thanks again,
MattH

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...