UKC

Climbing Wall Supervisor's Award

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 garethmorgan 26 Jun 2006
http://www.mltuk.org/docs/CWSA.htm

MLTUK is running a consultation on the proposed Climbing Wall Supervisor's Award, which as you may have guessed, is a wall-specific qualification for people leading groups at walls.
They have a comment form that you may like to fill in, if you care enough about these things.
I'm sure that some of you have some views on the subject that you'd like to share. Before you do, please read the MLTUK's website.
Incidentally, there's nothing like this currently available. The SPA covers climbing walls briefly, but focuses much more on the technical skills necessary to run sessions outdoors. The only qualification that covers leading is the MIA. All the gaps are currently filled by site-specific training.
Any comments?
 Monk 26 Jun 2006
In reply to garethmorgan:

Would an SPA holder have to take the new qualification to lead indoors, or would the SPA supercede the CWSA, in a similar way that the MIA does to the SPA?

Quite frankly I really wouldn't want to spend 8 hours being assessed on an indoor wall? What exactly would you do for 8 hours anyway?
 Monk 26 Jun 2006
In reply to Monk:

Just as a caveat - I am in no way anti-climbing wall. I use a wall at least twice a week. Having read the syllabus it seems that most stuff is covered in the SPA anyway, apart from the variety of 'games' you can play with coloured holds etc.

This doesn’t sound like a fantastic qualification to have for a number of reasons:

If it’s a stand-alone qualification (which from the link it seems it is, could be wrong only had a quick read) then you are going to have “climbing instructors” who are only qualified to work indoors and may have little or no experience on the real stuff. I don’t think this would be great for their overall knowledge or “ethic” of the sport.

If it’s going to be a “top-up” qualification covering the finer points of indoor climbing (including leading indoor) fair enough but its extra expense and hassle for most who will be more than qualified.

Just my 2p’s worth
 Monk 26 Jun 2006
In reply to Martin Thompson:

I actually think this is a good qualification for many people. Huge numbers of people use indoor walls and never venture outdoors, e.g. youth organisations. Although the SPA is a piece of cake for any competent climber, it is not easy if you are not really a commited climber but enjoy indoor climbing.
On my SPA training a couple of years ago there were 2 candidates from PGL or somewhere who had actually never climbed outside but regularly assisted with groups on man-made structures. For them the SPA was the wrong qualification but the only qualification available. For 'activity' centres, schools etc, this would be the ideal qualification.
These people are already instructing using centre-specific qualifications so introducing a nationwide system seems like a good thing to me.
In reply to Monk:

Yeah I agree with what you say, I suppose I’m looking at it from an ideal point of view where anyone taking youngsters climbing (weather it be indoor or out) is passionate about climbing and would therefore try to instil a bit of that in them and maybe push for outdoor activities if at all possible.

Also I think hey may suffer from a slightly narrow minded view of the sport and skills. After all it would really just amount to trying in and belaying on a top rope (excluding leading but how many youth organizations get the kids to that level?)
 Monk 26 Jun 2006
In reply to Martin Thompson:

I agree with you too - I don't think this will be an award for 'Climbers' more for activity instructors.
I do agree that the current trend is for a lot of individuals and groups to only climb inside and for whatever reason think it’s impossible to break out onto the real stuff. I just worry about these people seeing dingy climbing walls as the entire sport.

tafflewis 27 Jun 2006
i do some work in a climbing centre as an instructor. I have the SPA and feel that from what i`ve seen there are many people to who the SPA would not be a worth while investment. you can`t really say that you have to be a competent outdoor climber to take a group of 8 kids toproping for 90mins, or show someone how to tie a fig 8. the problem i have is that when teaching adults and teenagers you will get asked if you climb outdoors. if you can honestly say yes than that will inspire confidence in them and their parents, also they are more likely to trust your instructions when they get scared and don`t want to come down (IMPORTANT). if your child is going climbing and you ask the instructor, quite casually, have you done a lot of climbing? do you climb outdoors? if they then say "no i`ve just done a 2 day course" you will worry. it seems the less the qualified and experienced the person the less they appreciate the possible consequences or borderline decisions. it is not uncommon to see a less experienced instructor wade in and get out the jumar to effect a rescue indoors of a child on a top rope. there are VERY RARE occasions when this is called for but in 18 months I`ve only seen 1 or 2.
i think a difficult balance must be struck.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...