UKC

travel question-Lofoten

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NickJH 28 Jun 2006
Any recent visitors to Lofoten able to share their thoughts on the following.We're flying to Bodo but unsure whether to:
a) Wait through most of the next day in order to get the ferry to Svolvaer
b) Pay extra cash to get a slightly earlier flight across to Svolvaer (return time of the flight doesn't seem to offer any advantage over ferry)
c) Hire a car in Bodo,drive to Skutvik and get the ferry across from there.

Trying to arrange transport in order to reach Svolvaer at a time we may be able to pick up a hire car is proving difficult as we are travelling from the UK on a Fri and returning to the UK on a Mon. Anyone managed to arrange dropping off a hire car out of hours at Svolvaer/Bodo? Also, has anyone any recommendations for car hire companies on the island.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts/information on the above.
 TobyA 28 Jun 2006
In reply to NickJH: Solvaer is small and very relaxed - I've only ever driven up there in my own car but with a few polite emails or phone calls I wouldn't be suprised if someone from the hire company would pop round and meet you out of normal office hours. Worse come to the worse - camp your first night in Svolvaer and get the car the next day. Even if the office is still closed that day you could spend that day doing the Solvaer Geita routes - thats walking distance from the town centre.
 Nj 28 Jun 2006
In reply to NickJH: You can rent a wreck in Leknes, which is further south, it is on the ferry route from Bodø to Svolvær, try them on +47 76 08 01 04
Up there meself in a few weeks, cheeky
amf37 28 Jun 2006
In reply to NickJH:

Airport hire car places in that part of the world generally have a little postbox to return the keys to out of hours. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
OP NickJH 01 Jul 2006
In reply to amf37:
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. Plan of action is probably to hire a car in Bodo and drive up to Skutvik to access the ferry from there as there appear to be many more crossings per day.
Cheers
Nick
In reply to NickJH:

The main reason this is a good idea is because you can go do Stetind on the way back - don't miss it.
 TobyA 01 Jul 2006
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC: Its a lovely and pretty cheap ferry crossing as well. The coffee and donuts cost a bit but the view is both free and priceless.
OP NickJH 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:
Great idea, again thanks for the replies.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...