UKC

Chalk?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Sion Daniels 03 Jul 2006
Going to Stanage for the first time on Friday! Wondering what to do about chalk? Have got chalk bag but was wondering what to do about chalk?

> Buy some? (Exspensive)

> Buy some writing chalk (cheaper) and crush it down? (Would this work?)
 IOAN D 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Sion Daniels: It will be greeeaaassy as hell there so buy a big bag full of loose chalk, a ball is no good as it is not effective in getting a covering of chalk on the hands plus if ur goin to be in a pumpy situation squeezing a ball takes time and effort.
 finkployd 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Sion Daniels:

surley £2 from your local indoor wall shouldn't be tooooo expensive should it.

or is this a joke thread that I'm just not getting again?

There's so much chalk around there anyway you should be able to suck it off the holds and spit it back into a bag.
Or pick it up from the floor of the nice chimney descent route thing. Everyone forgets to do up their bag and subsequently it all tips out.

Good luck by the way... any idea where abouts you'll be going or which routes you fancy. Was there this weekend and boy was it warm. Remember to take some kind of anti-midge spray/uniform.

Good luck
mjk3k 03 Jul 2006
In reply to finkployd: if you get a cheep chalk ball cut it open. thats what i do i have lose chalk and a ball. my local wall wont let you use lose chalk :@
 Tom M Williams 03 Jul 2006

Are you for real? its £1 for a block of chalk!
 GrahamD 03 Jul 2006

Pof is just as good and available from any French supermarket at very low prices.
 Moacs 03 Jul 2006

Writing chalk is not the right stuff - it really is chalk. Climbing chalk is light magnesium carbonate.

If you really can't afford to buy it from a gear shop (but you can presumably afford the petrol to the crag and the beer afterwards?) then go into a local chemists and ask for light magnesium carbonate. Not all stock it (it's a laxative) but some do and will sell by the 100g. 100g is quite a lot by the way!

J
 Tom M Williams 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Moacs:

Surely all these alternatives are more expensive certainly no cheaper?
SI A 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Moacs:

is it really a laxative?

how many tea spoons in a cup of tea would get your mate running for the nearest bush?
 pottsworth 03 Jul 2006
Get a block of climbing chalk for £1 from your local wall / climbing shop.
It crumbles as son as you squeeze it.
Just put it loose in your chalk bag
 Moacs 03 Jul 2006
In reply to Tom M Williams:

No. It's much cheaper at the chemists. I bought a kilo a couple of years ago for under a fiver and still have a bucket left!

J
 Moacs 03 Jul 2006
In reply to SI A:

Always read the label.

; )

J
 ro8x 03 Jul 2006

Why would you own a chalk bag but no chalk?
Troll.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...