UKC

The Gritstone of the South

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 broc 12 Sep 2006
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has been to any of the sandstone outcrops in the Forest of Dean?

It turns out I might have a few hours to kill around Ross on Wye one morning next week and I'm planning on taking a look. From what I've seen, many of the crags look a bit dank, green and unpleasant. So save me the trouble of finding out for myself - where is worth a visit and where isn't?

I've had a look at the new CC guidebook and it sells it as a gritstone of the south but on a smaller scale! Is this true?!

Cheers, B
OP broc 12 Sep 2006
In reply to broc: Fat lot of good you lot are! 60+ views - someone must know something!
 Robo 12 Sep 2006
In reply to broc:

Go to Huntsham Crags and wander around the boulders. There's loads of interesting stuff. Take a big soft brush as the rock gets sandy. Another good spot is the Suckstone near Near Hearkening Rock. Lots of good problems, and rock is reasonably clean at the moment.
 CurlyStevo 12 Sep 2006
In reply to broc:
before the guide came out I was repeatedly told it was rubbish and the rock quality poor and friable.

I never climbed there but looking at it, it looks similar to the conglomerate you get in NE scotland. I woulnd't hold your breath if I was you, but it still may be worth checking out.

Having climbed on many forms of UK sandstone I still haven't found anything even vaguely close to grit yet but haven't been on the torridon stuff yet.
emo 12 Sep 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:
personally i thought it was shit, kind of like weetabix with bits in
 Richard Fox 12 Sep 2006
In reply to broc:
I've been to Wyastone, grit it isn't.
Rock very variable, the lower conglomerate band is exceedingly friable, the upper sandstone layer is better, more grit like, but filthy.
Definitely green and grubby though.

Probably best to head somehwere else.
OP broc 13 Sep 2006
In reply to all:

Thanks for the info.

Mmmm, Im thinking I may still go and have a look but won't get my hopes up then...
 Dr Avid 13 Sep 2006
In reply to broc: theres probably a reason no one goes there
 Robo 15 Sep 2006
In reply to broc:

Naa, it's good. Just go to Huntsham, you'll love it. Esoteric but accessible.
 jkarran 15 Sep 2006
In reply to broc:

I've been to Huntsham, don't expect grit but it is cool in a weird and worrying way. Worth a look if you're in the area and not scared of nettles like me.

To my mind, nettles add E points to any route.

If you have a belayer there's always the Yat across the road if the conglomerate is damp and snappy.

Enjoy.
jk

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...