UKC

NEW REVIEW: E11 - The Movie by Mick Ryan

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 20 Oct 2006
"Climbing is far more than climbing rocks. Anyone will be engrossed by this story, whether you are beanie-clad boulderer who has never tied on (Dave has impeccable bouldering credentials) to a non-climbing housewife from Skelmersdale who does step aerobics once a week (there’s drama, excitement, sex appeal and a bit of a confessional). There’s also frustration, determination, boredom and finally elation. No mean feet capturing all those emotions on film. And blood, yes there’s blood and there easily could have been a lot more wounds, let’s not kid ourselves."

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=251
 Marc C 20 Oct 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Enjoyed yours and Jo's review articles. Can't wait to see the movie!
Removed User 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:
Was at the premier last night and I have to say that it is an excellent piece of film. This film really belongs in the mainstream as they have been able to capture the human side of Dave and his wife and not produced the type of adrenaline and testosterone vid that quite frankly bores the shite out of me. Hopefully it will be picked up by the BBC or C4 as it really needs to bes seen outside of the climbing community. Medals and Baftas for all involved. A thouroughly engrossing 40 mins.

BTW seeing those falls makes you wince and really worried for the man, even though he is in the same room as you!!
 Sean Bell 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Removed User: hear hear!!
Wingman@work 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Removed User:

was going to suggest the same - someone really should draw the attention of the mainstream press to it.
 tony 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Wingman@work:

It did get a review in the Sunday Telegraph last week, and it's been featured on BBC Scotland, the BBC website, and in the Scotsman. And remember, you can take the movie to the media, but you can't make them do anything with it.
OP Michael Ryan 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Wingman@work:
> (In reply to Just a bhoy)
>
> was going to suggest the same - someone really should draw the attention of the mainstream press to it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/6068376.stm

KA 22 Oct 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Yeh but whats he done on grit?
 Norrie Muir 22 Oct 2006
In reply to KA:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com) Yeh but whats he done on grit?

What Scittish winter climbs have you done to make that comment?
 Ed Booth 22 Oct 2006
In reply to KA: Lol
 Ridge 26 Oct 2006
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserMick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> This film really belongs in the mainstream as they have been able to capture the human side of Dave and his wife and not produced the type of adrenaline and testosterone vid that quite frankly bores the shite out of me. ....Medals and Baftas for all involved. A thouroughly engrossing 40 mins.

<Gets ready to be flamed>

Agreed it's an excellent climbing film, and Channel4 could do a lot worse, but Medals and BAFTAs?
As climbing films go, it's good. Dave comes across as an excellent bloke, and there's no doubting his nerve and ability, but..
Sorry, bits of it weren't brilliant, IMHO some problems with sound levels. You turned up the volume to her the conversation, then in crashed the really irritating and amateurish 'BMC weather forecast' bits. Also, much as I liked MC Hastas music, I don't think he added much to it in the main feature, though I loved the pschye edit....
Good as climbing films go.

<hides>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...