UKC

Reccommend me some new MTB forks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 2pints 18 Mar 2007
Just started out biking again on a Specialized Rockhopper (1998) and the bike's fine however after 5 years of not being given any attention the forks are f*cked.

They're pretty old-skool Manitou Spyder-R with 63mm(!) of travel and so I'm looking to get something a little bit smoother.

I've tried pumping them with grease through the greaseports and things but they're still incredibly dry. I reckopn they've had it so after something new and bouncy for about £150(ish, the bike originally only cost £400}+£230 for the old forks)

Don't really want/need more than 80mm (ish) and plan to just ride easy-ish trails, ie no monster drop offs or downhills.

So what do you wall reccommend UKC? How far has bike design come in the last *gasp* 8 years?
TimSter 18 Mar 2007
In reply to 2pints: Get yourself a pair of PACE forks. RC 38 will fit your bill and are awesome. Look at hht://www.paceracing.co.uk and look at the specials, you can often pick up good deals there.
Mark Raddenbury 18 Mar 2007
In reply to 2pints: I'd say go for Fox...
In reply to 2pints:

I've just fitted some Rockshox REBAs which got good writeups and seem excellent to me. They'd be cheaper than Pace or Fox which are pretty much top-end brands - you'd be paying a lot for a name and a few grammes less weight for those in my view..

Try http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/ for views on various things.

mattsccm 18 Mar 2007
In reply to 2pints:
Watch you don't go too long or you will stuff the handling and turn it into a chopper. You can get Rockshock Darts for 60 quid up and they would be better than whta you have. Well under a hundred gets you lock out and all. Bear in mind that as it stands the bike is probably most valuable as a collectors item, well that seems to be the current attitude . The wind in the tyres would be worth a bit. You can pick up a second hand bike for nowt, eg I am possibly selling my 03 Rockhopper in very good original or better nick and would be please to get £250 . I may well hang onto it at this rate. Look at chainreaction or wiggles site for the bset deals.
 Schmiken 18 Mar 2007
In reply to 2pints:

You really want to be spending around £100+ realistically. Have a look at Rebas, Manitou Splices, Toras or something similar. Have a look on www.chainreactioncycles.com for some ideas. You'll be hard pressed to find a pair of forks now that'll be 63mm of travel, but you should be able to get away with 80mm without turning your bike into a chopper!
 Alun 19 Mar 2007
In reply to 2pints:
> How far has bike design come in the last *gasp* 8 years?

Fork design has made substantial progress from 63mm of undamped elastomer suspension like what's in your Spyders.

Marzocchi, Rock Shox and Manitou are still kings of the hill for decent affordable forks. The likes of Pace and Fox are for those who take their suspension (too?) seriously, and the prices reflect that. As somebody said above, check out chainreactioncycles or wiggle.co.uk and go for a pair from the 'big three' that fits your budget and requirements, you won't be disappointed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...