UKC

Snowdonia conditions Tues 20th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Spready 20 Mar 2007
Blog report and photos can be found at
www.spreadys.com

Not great and bloody hard going!

Spready
 Banned User 77 20 Mar 2007
In reply to Spready: Just put this on the lakes thread:

Just ran up Foel Goch, of Snowdon, and there's snow above 500 m but only a slight covering, and no sign of freezing, that was around 2000 ft. Supposedly there's more snow in the South of the Park.

Neil Anderson 20 Mar 2007
In reply to Spready:

Your photos reflect conditions well - but excellent day when the sun was shining none the less.

I thought snow was variable, some slab, some graupel and powder and other patches of snow-ice about, but limited accumulations (due to the wind?) - turf was frozen from about 800m+, ice forming at this height too - usual smears above zig-zags on Yr Wyddfa, in Sargeant's Gully ( rather lean, needs another day or two (if we get them?)), and on various outcrops in Upper Cwm Glas - plenty of 'sport'/'practice pitches' to be had if not complete climbs.[ice on Central icefall as well, but nowhere near anything to climb.]PFG would go as a lean snow/iced up scramble maybe ?

An enjoyable day spent weaving up the open slopes left of Parsley Fern in Cwm Glas.

If you can get a day free tomorrow - go for it - not bad way to see in Spring - visibility was excellent today.

For the anoraks 3" of riming over 1000m, wind speed at the cwm headwall av 40mph+, max gust 51mph ( force 9) at 2pm, giving windchill of -22 deg cel.

I think this the latest I've managed a 'winter day' in North Wales in the last 17 years, although I've mentioned routes several times around the 10th ish of March before (96, 00, 06 for example) - anyone else ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...