UKC

Speed Cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 11 May 2007
Why do so many posters get so hett up about being caught and look for "loopholes" in the law to try and get off?

As has been said on other threads we all know the maximum speed limit is 70 on motorways/dual carriageways, and in all other cases you will first see a big sign saying 30; 40 or 50. The fixed cameras are painted bright yellow and are usually preceded by warning signs telling the driver they are there.

So in my opinion anyone who gets caught by a camera is a plain stupid fool.

And to put this post in perspective I am not a sanctamonious pontificator, I've been caught and fined 3 times in the last 15 years.

So if you are a fool and do get caught, stop whinging, just pay your fine and try and learn from the experience.
 El Greyo 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

I'm with you on this.

The way I see it is that if we have speed limits then the speed limits have to be enforced, otherwise they are meaningless. Speed cameras are one means of enforcement.

So the argument should really be about whether the speed limits are appropriate. Which is obviously going to be on a case by case basis.
 EricpAndrew 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia: having been caught, I have to confess both times to speeding
45 in a 40, catching upto the back of traffic after a round about, ohh how dangerous.

and 37 in a 30, by a van behind a bush, as i was slowing down to 30, about 15yrds into the 30 limit!

in both occasions if it had been a copper sat in a car, looking for dangerous drivers, they would have seen the manner in which i was driving and would not have done anything, damm those souless computers!

anyway your right. and for those instances where i have been done and not desirved it, there have been others when i've not been got, but probably should have been

but speed cameras dont work, esp the average speed check ones!
"ah we have a particually dangerous stretch of road, so lets put up a device that will mean that EVERY driver will put much more concentration onto the speedo, and half as much onto what they might actually hit, small children and all!" makes sense to me

and the fixed oned result in slowing down to speedlimit, then speeding up afterwards.

they do nothing to improve saftey of the road or slow drivers down, just raise a bit of cash and make people criminals.

if you drive down or up the a1 as i often do, you will see may 90mph drivers breifly slow for a camera then get straight back on it, up someones ass usually.

if you see a cop car, they whole road slows to 70 and drives sensibly for a few miles! you do the maths
G A Hardie 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

>
> So in my opinion anyone who gets caught by a camera is a plain stupid fool.

The fools are people like the Surrey Constabulary who set up a speed trap on the A3 yestrday afternoon deliberately positioned so it would be difficult to spot. The rain was torrential at the time so what happened? Drivers who rounded the bend on or about the speed limit spotted the trap and instinctively braked before checking their speed - result?? Tight bunching of traffic and two vehicles in front of me skidding acros into the outside lane.

No-one was speeding at that point but someone could have ben hurt - yep speed cameras prevent accidents.........

Anonymous 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia: A much better troll, but not there zet.

you must troll without knowing

troll zen

do without knowing
rmaciag 11 May 2007
In reply to G A Hardie:
If you go to Poland then you will see how this is all used for public and private revenue rising on a massive scale ...
As per statistics Poland still remains one of the worst places in terms of deaths on the roads but many of the deaths are due to drink driving, old cars and terrible roads, icy conditions in winter ... At the end, speed traps, cameras, dummy (not sleeping !) policemen do not help much in terms of prevention.
rmaciag 11 May 2007
Just a question.
Have you seen that ?
Do you remember that ?

Many years ago I watched a TV program here in the UK about accidents on UK's roads. I remember a scientist (a statistician ?) claiming that more people die in the UK from falling down steep stairs in their houses than on the roads. The question then remains why more is not done on "fixing" the stairs ??? Should we have speed cameras in our houses checking how fast we run down the stairs ??? The suggestion was made that this is all about Government's politics. The Government targets those issues that are likely to get public support and are "politically correct".
 Niall 11 May 2007
In reply to rmaciag:

If you fall down your own stairs in your own house, you're unlikely to take anybody else with you.
Anonymous 11 May 2007
In reply to Niall: And if you're alone and no one hears you fall did you really fall at all?

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm

ze zen troll is within you
 k2ted 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia: agree with what your saying and if caught its only yr fault. I posted yesterday about a friend getting flashed on A9 and simply asked 'is it 3 points and 60 quid'.

caused quite a lengthy discussion....

rmaciag 11 May 2007
In reply to Niall:

So it does not really matter if you kill yourself ?
Now I understand.
Just bad luck.
Actually it is so relevant to climbing, isn't it ?
If you fall down the crag, hmmmm ..., bad luck ...

(So why all this talk about NHS costs involved in caring for accident fictims etc. I suppose the NHS should only care for those hit by others ?)
In reply to rmaciag:

what on earth are you talking about? it might make sense to you, but i have no idea what point you are trying to make
 stp 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

Speed cameras are designed to make and save money on cops. They are totally dumb machines that work on a stupid principle - over the speed limit is automatically bad.

Whilst I don't like cops they are infinitely more wise than speed cameras. As such they can decide when to stop a motorist and when to convict or let off with just a warning. They can take account of driving conditions, wet or dry roads, other traffic and the full gammut of other variables that make up reality.

A friend of mine was caught on a speed camera for doing 35mph through a small village at 2.30am when there was no other traffic or pedestrians around. I'm quite sure that under such circumstances no police officer would have even thought to stop him, let alone press for conviction. However thanks to the ignorant machine he got a ticket.

However there is a plus side with speed cameras. Fortunately cameras don't know who's driving either so you can make up a name and address of the driver at the time and get away with it - which he did.

Britain is currently the most watched society in the world with more cameras per capita than anywhere else.

If you really think this is OK then try watching films like the Terminator, Matrix or reading 1984 to get some idea of where all this is heading. All works of fiction yes, but all with logical projections of the future based on the present.
Simon22 11 May 2007
In reply to stp:

Here's an idea, don't speed and you don't have to worry about speed cameras. WAHEY!

I also suspect that those that whinge about them are the very people that mumble that traffic cops should be 'catching burglars/drugs dealers/peedos' and not persecuting them..........
 tony 11 May 2007
In reply to stp:
>
> A friend of mine was caught on a speed camera for doing 35mph through a small village at 2.30am when there was no other traffic or pedestrians around. I'm quite sure that under such circumstances no police officer would have even thought to stop him, let alone press for conviction. However thanks to the ignorant machine he got a ticket.

No, his ticket was his fault. Like it or not, it was all his responsibility. The 'ignorance' lies with the idea that someone else is to blame.
 Billy the fish 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia: Personally, I think their selective use has merit but in general they are supported by people who are misguided or worse.
 Dominion 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

I recently got rather annoyed by this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6599321.stm

The Council changed the speed limit on a stretch of road, without going through the proper procedure.

But they did put up signs stating the new speed limit (30mph) - and some 3,000 drivers ignored the posted speed limit and got fined.

There was some bloke who fought the case who stated that he knew he had done nothing wrong, even though he clearly does not pay attention to posted speed limits, since he got caught by a speed camera.

It makes you very cautious, looking around for speed traps instead of concentrating on driving safely

Obviously is incapable of working out that if you stick to the posted speed limit, you do not have to worry about speed cameras, which makes you a much safer driver...
 DancingOnRock 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

Speed cameras do and are working. Traffic in general has slowed down, and I base this on one very simple premise.

Practically everyone I know either has 3 or 6 points on their license from accidentally going over the speed limit by a few miles an hour, and either being caught by a fixed camera from inattention or being caught by a mobile camera.

Personally I have 6 points. If I get caught again I will not get a conditional offer and fine. I will have to attend court to defend myself and it will not be an automatic 3 points and £60 fine. It states this on the paperwork I recieved with my last fine, so I have to drive below the speed limit at all times now in case one of those mobile ones gets me again. That is the real deterrent, and as I say above, I'm not alone!
srnet 11 May 2007
In reply to stp:

> Speed cameras are designed to make and save money on cops. They are totally dumb machines that work on a stupid principle - over the speed limit is automatically bad.

The principle is not stupid.

With very few exceptions, the 'dumb' machines work on a very simple and clear principle, over the speed limit is illegal.
srnet 11 May 2007
In reply to TimR:

> Speed cameras do and are working. Traffic in general has slowed down, and I base this on one very simple premise.

Yep.

Round by me my cycle to work has got a lot 'safer' since the speed cameras were put in.

In a 30mph limit, and not a newly imposed limit its been that way for 30 years, I used to have to duel with traffic and change lanes when most vehicles were doing 45mph+.

When eventually the speed cameras went in (thank god) suddenly the average speed dropped from 45mph to a much 'safer' 30mph.
 kevin k 11 May 2007
In reply to Trangia: completly aggree , if you cant do the time, then dont do the time etc etc, but its still annoying when you get caught, i drive about 30k per year, so its inevitable i will get points (considering my van goes over 100mph) (allegedly)
 Niall 12 May 2007
In reply to kevin k:
> so its inevitable i will get points

There's one obvious solution?
srnet 12 May 2007
In reply to kevin k:
> i drive about 30k per year, so its inevitable i will get points (considering my van goes over 100mph) (allegedly)

If you habitually break the speed limits they I guess it is 'inevitable' that you will be awarded points.
 sutty 12 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

>The fixed cameras are painted bright yellow and are usually preceded by warning signs telling the driver they are there.

None I have seen have been.

Aaanyway, shut up, if we can miss the turning for the A66 going up the M1, miss the campsite, and the pub, while pointing out the road at its side, all through talking, a poxy yellow box is certainly going to be missed.
 stephen Rowley 12 May 2007
In reply to EricpAndrew:
having been caught, I have to confess both times to speeding
> 45 in a 40, catching upto the back of traffic after a round about, ohh how dangerous.

It anoys me when i see poeple doing that wats the feckin point in speeding up only to slow back down again when you catch up with the traffic ahead, get up to the speed of the vehicle in front and sit there dont race up to the back of que all it does is waste your petrol and make it more likly for you to run into the back off someone.

stephen Rowley 12 May 2007
In reply to stephen Rowley:
As jemry clackson him self pointed out when he had that dude from teh minster of transport on Top Gear speed camaras dont earn the goverment that much money i think used the quote they earn more from tax that jammie oliver pays in year than they do off speed camras. Most research that is done proves they save lives. You know the rules if you get caught then just your punishment like a man, it like in school when chavs get caught doing summet they know they shouldnt be then they try and deny it or argue back.
 Rubbishy 12 May 2007
In reply to Trangia:

we get arsed because as we drive along at 25 mph we notice lots of shitty cars with no tax and, ergo, no insurance, no MOT and prolly no liccnce.

It costs too much to catch these kunts, so they bang in cameras and crow about stiffing some dad of 3 about doing 82 mph.
 Niall 12 May 2007
In reply to John Rushby:

You'd think somebody with young children would have the sense to drive safely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...