UKC

Nasty volunteer ranger on a power trip!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Sneyd 21 May 2007
Climbed at a local quarry yesterday, Ravens were nesting,so, we decided to avoided the entire section of crag so as not to disturb them.

Moved to another section of crag and saw the peregrines were nesting again this year. Of our own accord,we decided to move even further down the crag until the birds became settled.

Later in the day,my mate was way up a 120ft route when a park ranger approached us and DEMMANDED that we IMMEDIATELY come down from the climb. I explained that we hadn't enough rope to lower as we were using single, and anyway, we'd chosen this route (200ft away from the nest) so as NOT to disturb them! I suggested that we would finish our route, and if he really insisted we'd leave the crag. He was adamant that we lower from the route, even if this meant leaving rope and protection in place! I mentioned that we'd already avoided a ravens nest and he said "I don't bloody care about vermin like that". From this reply, this led me to believe that he was simply on a power trip. I don't know what power he actually had, But I'm sure this very unreasonable man was trying to exert far more authority than is given to him, and that he was totally out of order. He began to radio for the Police, but I assume that he encountered laughter on the radio,as he started to argue with who ever was on the other end of the conversation.

He promptly disappeared!

I have to say, fulltime professional rangers have a brilliant relationship with "outdoor" public, and apply their power in the appopriate circumstances. The attitude of this volunteer was shocking. Perhaps a little more training for this "Gentleman"? Think he just needs to learn to get on with people!

sam the man 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S: Sounds like he was a bit of a muppet-surely the ravens nest should matter as well? Also very unreasonable to expect you to come off the route immediately, though if he's not a climber he wouldn't understand why you can't.
Sam
Removed User 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:
"Come on up and expalin, we can't hear you properly"
mini Hitlers some of them.
chickenpox 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S: Probably worried about egg thieves or something, maybe trying to come across ott to try and put you in a certain level of insecurity (obviously worked to a certain degree).
Wouldn't worry about it, I've come up against something similar from a certain knob sitting high above station before.
Anyway, something I find more interesting, isn'tit wierd that 2 such strong and dominant birds will nest beside each other. I witnessed this the other week and all hell was breaking loose between the 2. Great to watch from the ground but not really a peaceful life for the birds!
 GrahamD 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

Where was it ? I assume that it isn't a crag with published access restrictions ?
 TN 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

Hi Phil,

Did this obnoxious person say exactly WHY he thought you should leave? Are you sure there were no general restrictions on access at the venue you were climbing?

Of course it IS entirely possible that this guy was on some sort of power trip like you said and he should perhaps be reported to the appropriate office for a little retraining...
chickenpox 21 May 2007
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> Did this obnoxious person say exactly WHY he thought you should leave? Are you sure there were no general restrictions on access at the venue you were climbing?
>
> Of course it IS entirely possible that this guy was on some sort of power trip like you said and he should perhaps be reported to the appropriate office for a little retraining...

Nah, leave him, eventually he will get punched. Sufficient enought to retrain him I would have thought.
OP Phil Sneyd 21 May 2007
In reply to GrahamD: No restictions in place. But always sensible to work around nature,even if no restictions are in palce.
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> Did this obnoxious person say exactly WHY he thought you should leave? Are you sure there were no general restrictions on access at the venue you were climbing?
>
> Of course it IS entirely possible that this guy was on some sort of power trip like you said and he should perhaps be reported to the appropriate office for a little retraining...

No reasons other than the birds are on the crag.
In reply to sam the man:
> (In reply to Phil S) Sounds like he was a bit of a muppet-surely the ravens nest should matter as well? Also very unreasonable to expect you to come off the route immediately, though if he's not a climber he wouldn't understand why you can't.
> Sam

Said he was a caver back in his day!
 hutchm 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:
> (In reply to sam the man)
> [...]
>
> Said he was a caver back in his day!

That explains rather a lot.
In reply to chickenpox:
> (In reply to Phil S) Probably worried about egg thieves or something, maybe trying to come across ott to try and put you in a certain level of insecurity (obviously worked to a certain degree).
> Wouldn't worry about it, I've come up against something similar from a certain knob sitting high above station before.
> Anyway, something I find more interesting, isn'tit wierd that 2 such strong and dominant birds will nest beside each other. I witnessed this the other week and all hell was breaking loose between the 2. Great to watch from the ground but not really a peaceful life for the birds!

Climbers are the people he should be working with,if he want's to stop egg stealing bastards!
 TN 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:
> (In reply to TN)
> [...]
>
> No reasons other than the birds are on the crag.

What a strange little man, in that case.
Good on you for doing your self imposed bird restriction thing anyway, until the little hitler arrived...
 sutty 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

>Said he was a caver back in his day!

that is even lower than a troll under a bridge.
 GrahamD 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

Still puzzled about where this 40m quarry is in the Peak district (your local crag)?
In reply to TN:
> (In reply to Phil S)
> [...]
>
> What a strange little man, in that case.
> Good on you for doing your self imposed bird restriction thing anyway, until the little hitler arrived...

Cheers! Think I had the moral high ground. I love peregrines, awsome creatures. Even though my father owns racing pigeons who provided 90% of the birds diet! It's a sacrifice worth making to keep the fastest bird in the world in our lands. Also keeps songbird populations up as well.
 Morgan Woods 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

i do prefer power rangers on volunteer trips...much more helpful.
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> Still puzzled about where this 40m quarry is in the Peak district (your local crag)?

The main part of the crag is 150ft. Bit overgrown in places, but some great lines. Some are a tad unstable so choose your lines well. It's gritstone, that's your last clue!
 TN 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:
> >
> Cheers! Think I had the moral high ground.

For sure.

If you want to name and shame, let me know and I'll send the boys round!
Well, okay, I mean that I will speak to my appropriate BMC access 'colleague' and let them bring it up with the relevant parties if they think it's appropriate...
 TN 21 May 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> i do prefer power rangers on volunteer trips...much more helpful.

Certainly more entertaining!
 orge 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:
> (In reply to GrahamD)
> [...]
>
> The main part of the crag is 150ft. Bit overgrown in places, but some great lines. Some are a tad unstable so choose your lines well. It's gritstone, that's your last clue!

Dovestone Quarries?
 GrahamD 21 May 2007
In reply to orge:

Sounds like it, although I hadn't realised it was quite that high.
In reply to GrahamD:Yeah it's Dovestones quarry. The 150ft price tag does come with a waring label though. The main quarry is pretty serious, starting to garden some of the safer better lines. Leave the rest to nature. May see you up there some time? Bring a helmet and an alpine rock attitude!
 Jeremy Hart 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:
If you're the team I think you are, and this was Sunday, he had had his beady eye on you for a while. My buddy and I came down from Dovestones at about 3.45pm and the ranger was watching you through binoculars from the carpark. He didn't mention birds nesting, but appeared concerned that you were climbing near to a recent rockfall. Make of this what you will! Doesn't excuse his attitude, mind.
Jeremy
Chris Tan Ver. XLIX 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

Nice to see people on the last great grit adventure venue. The falcon has been nesting in the middle of the main quarry for years, cue lots of pidgeon carcasses you'll find on routes.

I guess you were in the waterfall area as the unicorn/tower of babel area is also now suspect.
 Jimmy56 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

Voluntary Rangers have no authority whatsoever, and most of us wouldn't want any. It is not a policing role. I think you should have taken his name and had a word with the Park Authority / Ranger Service.

In reply to Chris Tan Ver. XLIX:
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> Nice to see people on the last great grit adventure venue. The falcon has been nesting in the middle of the main quarry for years, cue lots of pidgeon carcasses you'll find on routes.
>
> I guess you were in the waterfall area as the unicorn/tower of babel area is also now suspect.

No, Tower of Babel is fine! Just the rock a few feet to the right thats suspect.
Solstice, E2 5b (main quarry) is next on my list to do! It's not in any guide yet, but Paul Braithwaite climbed it in 1992. it's the hanging arete high up an to the right of white slab.
In reply to Jimmy56:
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> Voluntary Rangers have no authority whatsoever, and most of us wouldn't want any. It is not a policing role. I think you should have taken his name and had a word with the Park Authority / Ranger Service.

It was hard to know how to react to him initially, but when I heard his reaction to the raven as "vermin", I let him have it! Cheers Jimmy
 sutty 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

> it's the hanging arete high up an to the right of white slab.

That was probably a slab or wall last time I was on there.

Where is that trig, think it was with him on Trollenberg Terror.
 Trangia 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S:

Do volunteer rangers of this ilk get a uniform with badges of rank, medals and a peaked cap with gold braid on it? There must be some reason why they volunteer.
 Toby_W 21 May 2007
In reply to Phil S: I had a chat with the ranger at the top of Avon Gorge once and asked if climbers were ever a problem. He said never and we were all very good but he did have problems with over zealous volunteers frequently.

Cheers

Toby
> (In reply to Phil S)
>
> [...]
>
> That was probably a slab or wall last time I was on there.
>
> Where is that trig, think it was with him on Trollenberg Terror.

In reply to sutty Yeah ,Trollenberg terror falling down, created the arete! Tuts still about, Downhill mountain biking mainly!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...