UKC

Vapour rise?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dan Leach 29 May 2007
Hear lots of great stuff about it.
But is the trail jacket worth the extra dosh in preference to the trail top?
The jacket has a hood and a full length zip.
Dan
 Andy Hobson 29 May 2007
In reply to dleach:

What are you going to be using it for? If climbing, you don't need a full length zip as you'll have a harness on. A hood is definately useful, especially for winter climbing (it'll fit nicely under a helmet and is more effective than a balaclava and stopping snow/ice going down the back of your neck) or in bad weather. Great bits of kit.
 Mr Ed 30 May 2007
In reply to dleach:

Trail top is much more closely cut- more like a base layer. Trail jacket is still tight but will go on over some layers underneath.

hamish2016 30 May 2007
In reply to dleach:

Had mine for 1 to 2 years now and washed it for the first time last night (surpisingly didn't smell at all bad) as it was starting to look a bit too grubby. The colour of the water that came out was grim!

I have the smock and like the close fit, however get someone to hold down your t-shirt if taking it off in a pub or everyone will see your chest!
 waps100 30 May 2007
In reply to Hamish Dunn:

> however get someone to hold down your t-shirt if taking it
> off in a pub or everyone will see your chest!

I used to think this too, but with a lot of practice you can peel it off from the bottom without exposing yourself
task-o 30 May 2007
In reply to Hamish Dunn:
>
> I have the smock and like the close fit, however get someone to hold down your t-shirt if taking it off in a pub or everyone will see your chest!

This style of top is designed to work without a base layer as the micro pile wicks moisture better than just about any other base layer material. As usual, there's a good article on www.psychovertical.com about shelled micro pile tops. Whichever one you go for, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
 DJayB 30 May 2007
In reply to dleach: the smock now has a hood. i ave this and it seems to be doing the job amazingly so far!
 Guy Hurst 31 May 2007
In reply to dleach: I find thin pile jackets better than the smocks — they're easier to ventilate without taking off completely. Just out of interest, marmot do a very similar top which is a bit cheaper and fits me better than the rab, which is a bit tight under the arms.
 Ridge 08 Jun 2007
In reply to Guy Hurst:
> (In reply to dleach) Just out of interest, marmot do a very similar top which is a bit cheaper and fits me better than the rab, which is a bit tight under the arms.

If the OP is going to buy a Rab, make sure you try it first. Like Guy, Rab VR stuff is cut too tight for me.
 Alasdair 11 Jun 2007
In reply to dleach:

I got last years trail top from Tower Ridge for a great price a few months ago. I chose it over the jacket as already own the photon hoody. The top is a fantastic bit of kit with or without a baselayer. Highly recommend it as part of your system, between windproof and full on insulation.

Hope that helps

JimB 11 Jun 2007
In reply to dleach: Depends whether you like jacket designs. I find them easier to put on and off. My VR jacket is my favourite bit of outdoors kit. It's fairly water-resistant but thin enough to put a waterproof over. I only ever needed extra insulation last winter when standing still. The pocket isn't big enough for a map, though

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...