UKC

Wild camping spots on Scafell?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi,

Does anyone know what the wild camping is like up near Mickledore & Scafell crag? Are there plenty of easy-to-find spots with good water supplies? I'm planning to go up to tick some of the classics when summer eventually arrives.

The ideal plan is to walk up in the dark on Friday eve so I'm keen to know if I'll have trouble finding somewhere.

Any thoughts?

Steve
 VisionSet 30 May 2007
In reply to Steve Culverhouse:

Yes superb bowling green spots just 200ft below the col on the wasdale side, and pretty much sure tuther side too. Water is right next to it, unless it is very dry when you may need to descend a couple more hundred feet.
J1234 30 May 2007

I believe the Great moss on the other side of Scafell is good for Wild Camping and as the approach is from Eskdale possibly less of a drive for you.
Not a direct answer to your question, just a suggestion.
 VisionSet 30 May 2007

> when summer eventually arrives.

It was bone dry up there 10 days ago.
I think there is so little ground water that it should be in action very quickly
 Horse 30 May 2007

You should have gone last weekend, the rock was in fine condition even if things were a little chilly.

You can doss at the bowling green near some big boulders on the Wasdale side, you may get sat on by sheep!!!

I can't immediately think of anywhere very convenient on the other side of Mickledore although there probably is somewhere.

You could doss on Great Moss which is a fine place to stay and gives you the options of climbing on Esk Buttress as well as Scafell. If you take the Moss option you can walk in from Cockley Beck rather than drive all the way round to Wasdale.
 Si dH 30 May 2007
There are several possiblebivvy spots just on the scafell pike side a nd just towards eskdale above mickledore, opposite the east buttress, no need to go down ot hollow stones or anything. I foudn a good water source in the form of a stream about 20 yards down the slop towards eskdale form there.
Si
 VisionSet 30 May 2007
In reply to Horse: Good to see the old guard are still here! Hi Horse.
 sutty 30 May 2007
In reply to Horse:

> you may get sat on by sheep!!!

There were bales of feed there last time we camped, dropped by helicopter.

Room for at least three tents isn't there? Water a bit lower down if dry.
 Horse 30 May 2007
In reply to VisionSet:

A blast from the past, well thanks, yourself?
In reply to VisionSet:

Thanks all, I feel a plan coming on!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...