UKC

Supplements and Training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wile E. Coyote 07 Jun 2007
Is there anybody who takes supplements in order to ‘aid’ or ‘enhance’ their muscles when training. And before I continue I’m NOT talking about shooting up anabolics or anything similar! I’m talking about natural supplements.

I realise you can’t just take a load of supplements, sit back and watch scrubs, then when you go to make a cuppa you’re built like Popeye. What I’m after is advice to whether it’s worth it or not. There seems to be loads out there, so which are worth it? I’m of a small to medium build and looking to train hard and get the maximum out of it.

Can anybody advise?

Gaz
 climbin_chris 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: From what I have researched in to, and asked many questions on here, is that u obviously need protein for muscle growth and repair and the general consensuses it to get this from natural food sources. Chicken is very lean and eggs are a good source ect. Rather than drinks supplements. One of my friends I go to the gym with takes protein supplements, I do not - just eat shit loads which is far more fun in my opinion and there is not much difference between the two of us (both of similar build and strength). I do have to run a bit more as I take in more fat. As long as you have a health diet you should be fine with out supplementing. Work out how much protein u take in your diet. I aim to eat about 1.5 grams to every kilogram of my body weight. Much more and you will be a body builder in no time (too much weigh gain) or you will waste it all by going to the toilet! If you already take enough protein, you do not want to be wasting your money of supplements that you simply flush down the toilet! Any other supplements such as creatin cause you to bulk up and you do not want this as it has a negative effect of climbing, you need to be strong but light and flexible. There are a lot of people of this forum who will offer there advice!
 abarro81 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: i ususally have 500ml recovery drink (2:1 carb:protein) straight after a session at the wall/ at the end of a day outside if i'm gonna be climbing again the next day. might be psychological, but i do feel like i can climb for more days on without feeling weak and sore when i do this..
Karen Balmforth 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Wile E. Coyote:

Have a look at this site

www.maximuscle.co.uk
In reply to Karen Balmforth: Cheers for the link, Interesting stuff
 BennyBoy 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: I used to be into building muscle at the gym and then decided to climb seriously. I found that there doesn't seem to be a happy medium between the two as, more muscle equals more weight and we all know what more weight does for your climbing! Supplements are over rated and that's a fact but, if your diet is poor then they can certainly help. The big question would be what are you trying to gain from that supplement?
In reply to BennyBoy: I'm after quicker muscle recovery after a climbing session, currently I'm only climbing once a week and swimming once a week. But I'm looking to up the climbing to twice a week. At the moment though my body prob wouldn't let me. So my point - I'm looking to able to train harder and longer.
 climbin_chris 07 Jun 2007
In reply to Wile E. Coyote: You need to look on to what you are eating. Climbing twice a week should not be a problem. Your body will get used to the increased exercise in a few weeks if you’re only climbing twice a week. As long as you have a rest day in between. Monday I go to the gym, run and work antagonistic muscles (so don’t often use these muscles for climbing so effectively resting) and sometimes core muscles. Tuesday I climb Wednesday gym minus the run, Thursday climb and Friday rest. Saturday I work all day any way and then Sunday if the weathers good get outside. My recovery time started badly but with eating more protein and slow release carbohydrates my body is very used to it now. By the sounds of it I personally would say you just need a more healthy diet. Having said that it wasn’t long ago I was asking the same questions as you and was thinking supplements are the way to go! There is nothing wrong with having an ache on your muscle shows you have done something. Just you have to be careful of over training. As long as you not are working the same muscles all day every day you will be fine, you just need to let your body adapt at first. Streching the previous days aches off and gental warm up will enable you to climb just as well. I onsighted my first 7a after a heavy gym sesion the day before- was feelin stiff next moment i had climbed 7a.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...