UKC

Anyone used cameras2u.com?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jools 31 Jul 2007
The are listed with pricebuster as the cheapest for a shiny new sig10-20 but the description page just has the tecspec of the lens and a recommendation to buy the lowepro lens case?

I am sure this lens comes with a fitted case or is this a version of OEM lenses with no extras?

Anyone bought from them?

ta
 orge 31 Jul 2007
In reply to jools:
Cameras2u = Jessops

J

P.S. I bought my D50 through them and had no problems.
OP jools 31 Jul 2007
In reply to orge:

Yeah have heard this but also heard that this is a myth as they are registered to different companies.
OP jools 31 Jul 2007
In reply to orge:

Actually your right, well the myth is larger than cameras2u apparently, lots of site selling jessops gear as someone else. They're descriptions are identical and they both offer the same case recommendation. Still doesn't answer my q. Is this a false economy, get the lens at a great price then have to pay-up for hood and case....?
In reply to jools:

Yep - Bought two cameras from them with free next day delivery and no problems. I also have a Sigma 10-20 which def. came with case and hood. Case is not up to much though.
 TN 31 Jul 2007
In reply to jools:

We've bought a compact camera and also 2 (I think) Nikon lenses from them and they were fine. Prompt delivery , what we ordered turned up and all UK spec stuff. I'd have no problem using them again.
OP jools 31 Jul 2007
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

Ta very much.
ChrisMoran 01 Aug 2007
I also ordered my D50 from them - couldn't beat the price they were offering anywhere and the delivery was next day if memory serves. I thought them to be fantastic.

OP jools 01 Aug 2007
In reply to all:

As everyone is agreed that cameras2u are pretty reliable, I shall pose another question.

While looking for a bargain for this lens I have inevitably been watching fleabay, like a hungry hawk. I have watched many and even bid on a few 10-20's.

After mistakenly adding a few f-mounts to my watch list I noticed that there is a difference in what nikon users and canon users pay for their used gear, with nikon users paying more, sometimes a lot more.

The sigma 10-20 for canon users mainly went for £205-£230, the most spent was £231. The same lens for nikon users goes for £220-£260, the highest bid I have seen was £267. The two highest prices went within minutes of each other and were almost identical in terms of description, both 'mint' as new with the canon actually being newer with 6 months left on the warranty.

So why do nikon users pay more for their used gear?
 Dave B 01 Aug 2007
In reply to jools:

Jessops should price match lenses to this price anyway. There are vouchers in some photo magazines.

Having had 2 dodgy lenses that I have had to take back (3rd party), I'd rather go into a local shop, try, buy and then try again properly at home within a few days to check all is OK.

(A plug for my local Jessops in Canterbury, where at least 2 of the staff do know what they are talking about. I'm not sure about all of them, but 2 are top guys!)
 Dave B 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave B:

The case is just fine IMHO.

However, for filters, then you can buy them much cheaper of t'internet. I got my Hoya Pro1 UV for £40, and I believe you can get it for about £37 inc postage for the 77m filter you need for the 10-20
 Dave B 01 Aug 2007
In reply to jools:
>> So why do nikon users pay more for their used gear?

They work better

(semi serious - look at photozone.de, some lenses seem to give better results on Nikon than Canon). though he tests his Nikon stuff on a D200 and his Canon stuff on a 350D - a bit of a difference in camera quality perhaps. However, sometimes not.)

OP jools 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave B:

ha ha, I wondered how long it would take for someone to bite. This lens I referred to is the same lens just a different mount, but they cost the same new...?

As for someone testing lenses on a D200 and a 350D, hhhmm

Know what you mean about the benefit of shop bought, but they don't often match for web prices.
 Chris Weedon 01 Aug 2007
In reply to jools: Its all down to second hand supply and demand.

OP jools 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Chris Weedon:

yeah thought that might be it, but although the exact numbers fluctuate, on average there are as many nikon fit as canon.
 Dave B 01 Aug 2007
In reply to jools:

I bought a 10-20 from jessops yesterday for 289, so they should be able to match it. If they are good they will have a supply of vouchers under the counter to match the price - liberally photocopied from this months magazine...

djb
OP jools 01 Aug 2007
In reply to Dave B:

That's a good price match, their site lists it as 299 web-price 329 in-store!

However you bought one yesterday and so did I! I was buying mine with a collection of other bits 'n bobs and when collated, bristol cameras came in at £40 cheaper than any other web price! Just waiting for postie now, one thing you don't have to do
 Dave B 01 Aug 2007
In reply to jools:

Brissol Cameras are pretty good I reckon. Just don't try and buy popular lenses on Saturday as they won't have any stock

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...