UKC

10 yr old climbs 7a+

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 johnl 02 Aug 2007
Just watched a 10yr old climb Mindmeld 7a+ at the Cuttings. Ok he was on a top rope and maybe being held a bit but he had all the moves, amazing. Apparently his little brother is just as good so the future certainly looks bright for British climbing.
noahhbp 02 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl: songs like that kid in spain that was around 12 who was climbing like 7c...or david lama.
layback larry 02 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl:

Just wait till he hit's puberty and wonders why his arms are aching- Bring on the Lactic
In reply to johnl:

That's a good effort... Mindmeld is fairly powerful, especially for a 10 year old!

Wish I'd had the oppertunity to climb when I was that young! Luckly little bastard!
 Ian W 03 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl:

I think you'll find a 10 yr old toproping a 7a (english 6a / b ish?) isn't that good.

The lad who finished 2nd in his age group at the BRYCS final at ratho has led 6a (indoors). He's 7.

Not sure what grade Shauna Coxsey was leading at 10, but she was (is) a much stronger climber than my daughter, who was leading f6b at 9, and led E1 5b at 10.
 Olaf Prot 03 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl:

Yeah? and whats he done on grit?
OP johnl 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Ian W:
> (In reply to johnl)
>
> I think you'll find a 10 yr old toproping a 7a (english 6a / b ish?) isn't that good.

No? I think it's flippin amazing if I do it!

niggle 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Ian W:

> The lad who finished 2nd in his age group at the BRYCS final at ratho has led 6a (indoors). He's 7.

Yeah I've done the two BRYCS routes that are still there on top rope (the grey and red near the door). They're really nasty, I'm gobsmacked that those kids got up them.
 Mick Ward 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Ian W:

This thread put me in mind of Shauna. (Didn't want to mention her and seemingly rain on John's parade. But now you've mentioned her...) She's by far the best young climber I've seen. And she seems genuinely motivated by the fun and joy of it, rather than being mindlessly pushy/pushed.

A lesson for us all?

Mick

Removed User 03 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl:

This is all rubbish. My 18mth old can climb 8a! Admittedly its an unrepeated move into her high chair but it was done 'ground up' and 'solo'.
Serpico 03 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl:
A 10yr old being held on the moves on a 7a+ is not amazing. I've just come back from france where a 13/14 yr old boy was redpointing 8c, and there were teenage girls on 8a+s.
We're decades behind in this country.
 IOAN D 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Serpico: fair enough if we lived in a country whitch is predominantly sports climbing and everyone just sports climbed all the time, like country's on the continent there would be lots of every age people climbing high grades. but as we dont live in a place like that and it allways rains! we are restricted. and a 10 yr old on a 7a+ is brilliant!
 Mick Ward 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Serpico:
> (In reply to johnl)

> We're decades behind in this country.

I remember Andy Long mentioning some unknown Basque crag he'd been to a couple of days previously. There were 14 people on the crag. Everybody was climbing at least F8a.

Mick

UKB Shark 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Ian W: The lad who finished 2nd in his age group at the BRYCS final at ratho has led 6a (indoors). He's 7.

In reply to Ian W:

I think the lad who came second was 9 and I am sure is capable of leading much harder than 6a assuming you mean French rather than English 6a. If he is 7 he is huge for his age.

My son came 3rd and has led a couple of 6b+'s, at the Foundry, one on-sight, and is dead set on leading a 6c before he turns 9 in September.
 Ian W 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon Lee:

He is big for a 7 yr old (Jack Graham), and has actually just turned 8, but was 7 at Ratho.
 Ian W 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon Lee:

back to young jack - he may well have led harder; I'll ask next time I see him - but there is a hell of a difference between 6a and 6c (for e.g.). Don't forget that the the Sunderland routes were set by the Earl, and are therefore difficult to compare to softie South Yorkshire grades.......

<Puts down touchpaper (lit), extinguishes match and retires to safe distance...........>
 UKB Shark 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Ian W: and has actually just turned 8, but was 7 at Ratho

This will be very disappointing news for Ben. He was expecting Jack to be bumped up to the next age category next year.

Re. undergrading - a sure sign of insecurity and chippiness in my view...
 Ian W 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon Lee:

WE know how you feel. My eldest spent the first couple of years in the BRYCS "competing" against Tyler Landman.
 Ian W 03 Aug 2007
In reply to Simon Lee:

Re overgrading; a sure sign of jealousy and not being good enough.
Anonymous 03 Aug 2007
In reply to johnl:

let's face it, in the future anything below E2 will be listed as a scramble

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...