UKC

six weeks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CJD 22 Oct 2007
I've just been reading something about the moment in Figth Club where Brad Pitt's character shouts at a chap washing up in a restaurant, asking him why he's doing that and did he really dream of doing that when he was a kid, and that Brad's character will be back in six weeks to check up on him - and if the kitchen porter isn't doing something to realise his dreams by then, Brad's character will kill him.

The quote was in the context of encouraging people not to let life slip by...

so...

you have six weeks - what would/will you do?
 smithy 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

Oh no! Lying on a beach in the Bahamas is the only thing that will save my life!!

Cruel fate.

banned profile 74 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: buy a new car/go to font
In reply to CJD: Drink like a fish
banned profile 74 22 Oct 2007
In reply to Fawksey:
> (In reply to CJD) Drink like a fish

and hows that doing something worthwhile and changing your life?
OP CJD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to beastofackworth:

maybe he'll grow gills and that's been a long-term aim...?
 AdrianC 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: Rut like a pig.
OP CJD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to AdrianC:

a solitary one, or will you be requiring assistance?

AdrianC 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: Rutting, by definition, is surely not a solitary activity.

But thanks for offering.
karl walton 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:
Keep turning into Huds for my course, it all feel rather full on!
OP CJD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to AdrianC:

I like to think of it as service to the community.

OP CJD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to karl walton:

but are you enjoying it? we should meet for luncheon or something...
 AdrianC 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: Blimey.
KevinD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

> you have six weeks - what would/will you do?

find the fecker threatening me and get them first.
 Enty 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

Doesn't make sense. It took me 3 years Hod Carrying to pay for my first climbing trip to the States.

The Ent ™
OP CJD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to dissonance:

guffaw!
OP CJD 22 Oct 2007
In reply to Enty:

were you allowed to put it down to sleep?
 marie 22 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

Hmmm

Travel to a couple of distant places or learn to snowboard properly (rather than balancing badly as I do now)

I fancy the latter but Im not sure that it's really realising a dream as such (just a desire to board better).

So it'll have to be the former...

Hmmmm

tonanf 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: none of my dreams are achievable in six weeks. i would carry on as i am now, I am doing what I can, to the very best of my effort to make my dreams come true. My dreams reflect my reality.
loulou 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: Its a very real dilemma for me, I have 8 weeks and next summer and dont know what to do with it!
OP CJD 23 Oct 2007
In reply to tonanf:

none of mine are either - I think the sentiment was about making efforts to move yourself *towards* what you wanted to be doing with your life.
 Blue Straggler 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

Is "Figth Club" something for lisping people who like ficus turbinates?
OP CJD 23 Oct 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

guffaw! yes
 tommyzero 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD: Taking the Fight Club tactic what would someone order you to change about your life in six weeks and how would you do it? That is more difficult.

(Is this a hijack?)

(BTW CJD you should go on to read his other books if you like Fight Club, Invisible Monsters and Non Fiction being interesting)
OP CJD 23 Oct 2007
In reply to tommyzero:

no, that's not a hijack, and what someone would order me to do (which I'm ordering myself to do at the mo!) is to get on with the writing...

what about you?

I think I've only read Survivor and Choke, but Guts is on the pile to read. There's a few of his that I really want to read though.

anonymouse 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:
> I've just been reading something about the moment in Figth Club where Brad Pitt's character shouts at a chap washing up in a restaurant, asking him why he's doing that and did he really dream of doing that when he was a kid, and that Brad's character will be back in six weeks to check up on him - and if the kitchen porter isn't doing something to realise his dreams by then, Brad's character will kill him.

This suggests a need for further analysis on Brad Pitt's part's part. Did he dream of killing dish washers when he was a child?

Is the dream of a child really an appropriate occupation for an adult? When I was child I wanted to be many things, including an archaeologist, now I realise that archaeology is one of the most tedious things in existence and increases one's chances of meeting Tony Robinson by an unacceptable degree. I also realised that there are few cowboys; found out the hard way that super powers and, by extension, superheroes don't exist; that the need to possess some musical talent is a definite bar to rock stardom; and that it is becoming less and less likely that my real parents are millionaires. If everyone realised their childhood dream the uk would probably resemble a permanent and desperate mid-life crisis shot through with princesses. Something like Graceland in the final years, flash cars, sequin jumpsuits and deep fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

Attempt to cut through an iron bar with my laser vision.
karl walton 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to karl walton)
>
> but are you enjoying it? we should meet for luncheon or something...

Would that be a lucheon meat then?
karl walton 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:
Yes I'm enjoying it really.
We should indeed meet up at some point.

Karl
 DougG 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

Not sure but the way I feel at the moment, eating flapjack would feature prominently.
 S Andrew 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:
> I've just been reading something about the moment in Figth Club
> so...
>

Learn to spell 'fight'

OP CJD 23 Oct 2007
In reply to Irton Pike:

gah! I owe you an email...
Removed User 23 Oct 2007
In reply to CJD:

In six weeks I may sleep for a whole night.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...