UKC

Tetsuo: Iron Man

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 10 Dec 2007
Finally watched this film over the weekend.

Can someone explain the plot to me please? All I picked up was that the main character is attacked by some woman who is already part-metallic, and somehow infected, and he becomes more and more machine-like throughout the film, and there's this other guy who's more fully assimilated, who kind of absorbs our main bloke at the end to become a larger entity with plans to assimilate the whole world.

All wrapped up in a neat homage to Lynch, Svankmajer, Giger and Cronenberg.
 blueshound 10 Dec 2007
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Saw it a few years ago, and you've summed up pretty much what I can remember! I'm sure there are endless metaphors that could be related regarding the events depicted.
There's a sequel you know, Tetsuo Body Hammer I think, basically it's more of the same...
Slightly uncomfortable viewing, but glad I watched them all the same.
 orge 10 Dec 2007

That's pretty much all that I got from it, as well... It's one of those films where the plot is somewhat superfluous to the "experience". The visual effects and pumping soundtrack are the main event.

Sadly, imho, the second one is pants.

J
cheers, I knew that plot was secondary but I thought there must be SOMETHING to it - just had a quick peep on imdb.com and no, that's about it, apart from how our main character starts by running over the already-existing (and real?) metal fetishist, and starts to have nightmares about it, and those nightmares possibly spill over into his real life?

I have the sequel too, not seen it yet, which I gather is more of a remake and many people say that it is clearer and somewhat better for it (minus the originality and impact)
brothersoulshine 10 Dec 2007

Is that the one where his dick becomes this big drill thing and comes up through the table?

That's funny that is
 Mystery Toad 10 Dec 2007

You've got it kinda backwards.
Here it is:
the daft young kid/runaway(?) with clippings of Jesse Owens littered around his abandoned factory hideaway gives himself an incision in his thigh and shoves a rusty conduit under his flesh then wraps the wound. Later he examines it and sees maggots, panics, and runs in the path of an oncomming vehicle driven by a man who becomes the film's lead. He is accompanied by his girlfriend.
They run him down. In their panic they throw the runaway still alive but seriously injured into the back seat and drive him to a desolate place where they dump him down an embankment. As the runaway clings to life....the couple begins to have sex; they're aroused by the incident and the fact the dying boy is watching them.
More in a few I need a cuppa.
In reply to Mystery Toad:

Thanks, it's all a bit much to take in on a first viewing, certainly on television tired and late at night.

So the dying boy (a young man really) becomes the "nemesis/mentor" in the film does he?
 Mystery Toad 10 Dec 2007

Hang on. I'll try to be concise.
The couple discuss the troubling incident by phone, he goes to shave and discovers a small, sharp bit of metal jutting out his cheek. This becomes very infected and in time he becomes semi-delerious.
The tube:
he sits next to a woman who becomes possesed by the boy they think (and may have; we don't know) they killed in the hit and run. Very disturbing. She chases and tries to kill him in an abandoned mensroom. He manages to kill her.
Later his infection spreads dramatically but takes the form of metal, not diseased flesh. Even his tackle which he accidentally kills his girlfriend with.
Her body is hidden in the bath then the boy possesses her corpse and she attacks him. The boy is gathering strength and has an accentuated desire for revenge.
He manifests bodily at last and pays a call on the man.
Then begins the chase through Japanese suburb streets leading to an abandoned steel mill and the climax.
It's anyone's guess why much of the events take place or what they mean. I suppose it's an indictment of industrialism and it's dehumanising effects.
That's about it mate.
btw.....
where'dja get those boots? that's just not right; most gals'd kill for an outfit like that. lol nutter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...