UKC

Nikon 35mm AF cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Blue Straggler 14 Apr 2008
It's been well documented on this forum that old manual focus Nikon lenses mounted on most Nikon dSLRs result in having no metering.

Is the same true for most Nikon AF 35mm SLRs?
 John Wood 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I try to avoid discussing this.
In reply to John Wood:

Why?!

You have a borrowed F80 don't you? And two manual focus lenses.

Does the F80 meter with them in any of its metering modes?
In reply to John Wood:

Oh for goodness' sake get over it. It was clearly and unambiguously meant as a bit of fun, you met the challenge, I offered to send you some film before you ordered a load, all in the name of encouragement, the offer still stands...and yet...you seem to prefer to not provide the answer to a specific question to which you surely know the answer.

Not particularly gracious.
 sutty 14 Apr 2008

Lighten up Kenny, that is about the fourth time this week you have snapped someones head off.
 John Wood 14 Apr 2008

No it bloody isn't and i've had a string of hostile comments from you. Remember when i asked you why you were being so aggressive? Its because you are f*cking aggressive.

I decided not to tell you where you can stick your film.

and metering depends on the body. Expect at least centre weighted.
In reply to John Wood:

You've had a string of helpful and encouraging advice on general photography from me. I don't recall posting anything on any of your querulous that could be described as being outright "hostile". I have always tried to answer your questions or add to your answers to others. I often use blunt and concise language. That is rather different to being "hostile" or "aggressive". You've imagined that I've been hostile, and become extremely hostile in response.

I wonder why.

In reply to John Wood:

> and metering depends on the body. Expect at least centre weighted.

Thanks. On the F80 specifically? I am getting one (I think)

John Wood 14 Apr 2008

I've got an F801 centre weighted only.
 John Wood 14 Apr 2008

Bullshit. I have to re-read my posts to make sure there is nothing you can pick a hole in. Eg asking the same question on multiple threads, trying to catch me out could concievably be considered both hostile and agressive.
In reply to John Wood:
> (In reply to Blue Straggler)
>
> I've got an F801 centre weighted only.

Ah looks like I misread or misremembered something
In reply to John Wood:
> pick a hole in.

I don't "pick holes". I correct people when they are factually wrong. There is a difference.

> could concievably be considered

Nice disclaimers. Consideration is in the eye of the beholder. I've only ever tried to help and encourage you.

John Wood 14 Apr 2008

Sorry for "concievably be considered" read "demonstrably is"

If there is a non-unpleasant reason for chasing my round the forum asking me the same question (and to save you the bother, the reason you're doing that is in the hope that you can jump up and down and say "that's just technical information he's got from magazines and the internet") why don't you let me know.
A lot of my technical info comes from books, magazines and the Internet. e.g. I've mentioned that Tamron's 28-300 superzoom got some good reviews. I've never used such a lens. I've never "attacked" you for getting your info from such sources. I read dpreview.com etc. I mentioned your preponderance for sharing such info, in a light-hearted thread in the Chat Room. You've been going on about it ever since.
In reply to John Wood:
> chasing my round the forum asking me the same question

Have I done that?
 John Wood 14 Apr 2008

light hearted my arse

and in your second post - yes.
In reply to John Wood:
>
>
> and in your second post - yes.

Oh, you mean about the home-made flash diffuser. I posted that in two threads so that the people asking the questions might be able to benefit.

Hang on

Do you think THIS thread is somehow all about YOU ? It's not. It's a genuine question. I am taking delivery of a Nikon F80 soon and was wondering if it will give any metering with my manual-focus 50mm lens. Computer says no, but some people might know tricks (beyond gluing on a CPU from a broken AF lens)
 dek 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: Centre and spot but not the matrix if i remember rightly (801s), but would confirm later on. Actually Rocky's site might have the answer to that?
Hotbad Peteel 14 Apr 2008

The boring manual says you don't get metering with AI or AIS (I think) lenses on any of the nikons with 2 digits |(f80 d40 etc rather than the f100 or d200). Which 50mm manual have you got? Does anyone know what the f80 is missing to stop them metering?
p

p.s. also got an f80 in the post!!! getting rather excited
 jim robertson 14 Apr 2008

My F4 works fine with AI lenses but with non-AI it is a case of stopped down metering. I would be very surprised if the F80 was different.
 jim robertson 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/specroomy...

You're right. I am surprised that Nikon made that move at such a late stage in their film camera series production.
Ach, if I want to use the manual focus lens I'll have to get fluent with my Gossen Sixtino

and thank you, dek, jim and pete
Hotbad Peteel 14 Apr 2008

I've just remembered to sulk about my sodding DX lenses. Whats with the 35mm revival on ukc? Is it an independent rebellion to the number of people buying d300s?
p
 CJD 14 Apr 2008

the 35mm/120/old camera revival's been going on since last year!
In reply to CJD:

Longer than that surely? Or doesn't it count for those of us who have "revived" nothing but just kept using the 35mm all the time?
 CJD 14 Apr 2008

ha ha, good point. I kind of meant the ceaseless tide of chatter about elderly cameras...
 John Wood 14 Apr 2008

No, i don't think the thread is about me.
 El Greyo 15 Apr 2008

I use these tables to help with lens compatibility although I've noticed some discrepancies:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/bodylens.htm
http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/slr-lens.html
In reply to El Greyo:

Thanks, that's a handy little resource
Anonymous 18 Apr 2008

Why you sulking about your DX lenses?
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to Hotbad Peteel)
>
> Why you sulking about your DX lenses?

I think DX lenses are designed only to give a sharp image across an APS-C size sensor, so when you put them onto a "full frame" digital SLR or a 35mm camera, the optical performance outside of the central region, can be vastly compromised (vignetting, lack of sharpness etc)

dek 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler: So true!...having ancient (cheap) MF lenses working on the D200+D300 is a bonus!<NB CJD>
 CJD 18 Apr 2008
In reply to dek:

hee hee - some of my lenses even argue with a 1980 Nikon body so maybe there's no hope for me I'm suffering camera overload at the moment so I can't even think about more cameras!
In reply to CJD:
> (In reply to dek)
>
> hee hee - some of my lenses even argue with a 1980 Nikon body

That's because it's a "woman's" camera - it's bound to argue!
 dek 18 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD: Hmm! i have the 'cheapest of the cheap' Nikon E lenses (80s) werkin on a D300, whats the problem?
 CJD 18 Apr 2008
In reply to dek:

I think it's something to do with some protrusions on the back of the 35mm lens - it seems that when you put it on the EM body, it won't then allow you to move the aperture ring.

that said, I have to confess to having been lazy in leaving a 20mm lens on that body for aaaages, then wondering why I have problems finishing the film... bless me...
 dek 18 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD: I have a 'proper' E, 35 f2.5 lens sitting doing nowt if you want to try it out? Quite light and plasticy though
 CJD 18 Apr 2008
In reply to dek:

I think all mine are metal ones - I'll have a look... let me investigate further before taking you up on that, but I'll bear it in mind!
 John Wood 18 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

I've just looked up the EM on uncle ken's site (yes, i know, geek) and it looks like your lenses are pre-ai (by a process of eliminatino) and that a series e lens (which would be AI or AIS) will work fine.
 CJD 18 Apr 2008
In reply to John Wood:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
> I've just looked up the EM on uncle ken's site (yes, i know, geek) and it looks like your lenses are pre-ai

yes, they are.

(by a process of eliminatino) and that a series e lens (which would be AI or AIS) will work fine.

yeah - but I only have one E series lens (or at least I guess it is), the 50mm f1.8 that was on the EM when I inherited it.

It's no biggie.

CJD 18 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD:

sorry - that sounded a bit snippy - we've run through it all before though, and I know that's why the EM won't work in a straightforward way with them.
 dek 18 Apr 2008
In reply to CJD: If you ever come across the 75-150 E series zoom, its a bit of a star performer for a cheap lens!
 CJD 18 Apr 2008
In reply to dek:

cheers for that!

In reply to dek:

Are E-series lenses only looked down upon because they feel plastic and light, or are the optics thought of as being sub-par?
 dek 18 Apr 2008
In reply to Blue Straggler:The little 70-150 zoom was made by Vivitar as far as i know. Must have seemed like a good idea for Nikon at the time? It was good enough for Galen Rowell though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...