UKC

get the pro's in? or do it your self

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Climber Liam 14 Apr 2008
hi all.

i have been thinking about buildinga bouldering wall in or outside my house for quiet some time now. my dad seems to think that he should get a joiner in to price some structure up. but i think doing it my self would be cheaper and easier. i have 3 possile structre positions. in my atic, in my garage, or outside in my garden.

main question= should i get a joiner.?
 Swig 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Climber Liam:

No. There's plenty of designs on the internet for you to get ideas from. It's not rocket science. It's good training in itself building a wall.
 jkarran 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Climber Liam:

> main question= should i get a joiner.?

My question: Do you have the tools, skills and time to do it yourself? Buying the tools will cost less than a joiner will charge per hour.

DIY bouldering wall is an easy build but requires a little care and thought where it's supported to keep you and your house safe.

If you do some searches on here there's loads of ideas in old threads from the absurdly complex to the ingeniously simple.

All I can really say is "I'd do it myself" (and have) but that's me not you, you could be a clumsy oaf* who'll saw his fingers off :-P

jk

*no offence intended, I know someone like this, he's a smart guy but you wouldn't let him run with scissors!
I could be being stupid here but surely atic is the way to go?
you could make decent steep woody from flat 8x4 plywood simply screwed (with sufficient screws) to the rafters holding your roof up?
then holds simply attach to that?
 sasmojo 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Climber Liam: http://www.chockstone.org/TechTips/Woodie.htm a few links at the bottom also.
 jkarran 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Southampton Tom:

Depends how the roof's made and how strong the 'floor' is really. Modern heavilly triangulated roof trusses would be hopeless.

Attics tend to suffer huge temperature swings too. That and you can't use it at night when everyone else is trying to sleep.
jk
satori 14 Apr 2008
In reply to Southampton Tom:
> I could be being stupid here but surely atic is the way to go?
> you could make decent steep woody from flat 8x4 plywood simply screwed (with sufficient screws) to the rafters holding your roof up?
> then holds simply attach to that?

many attic floor structures are rated as ceiling joists only and not as full strength floors.

falling off a bouldering wall can quite easily test their strength.

to the OP - don't forget to tot up the weight of framing timber, ply, holds and the weight of a nice heavy climber pulling hard before you decide what sort of fixings you are going to use and where you are going to fix it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...