UKC

Kirkpatrick + Grimer lecture in on the 27th

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Andy K 16 Nov 2002
Hi
Just another reminder about mine and Grimers lecture on the 27th (a week on Wednesday).
Tickets are selling well and although you will be able to buy some on the door please try and get them before the night. This can be done either by buying a ticket from either Outside or the Edge shop, or by e-mailing me to hold a ticket.
The night should be realy good, as we've booked a proper theatre this time plus it's in the centre of town near the railway station if anyone wants to come over from Leeds, manchester or where ever.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Andy K
 Ropeboy 16 Nov 2002
In reply to Andy K:

Looking forward to it!

Bought my ticket today, there will a bunch of us coming.

J
OP Dead Myra Hindley 16 Nov 2002

I'd love to come but I'm still in Bishop.
Will you both be wearing those bondage suits again

See you soon.....
Andy K 17 Nov 2002
In reply to Dead Myra Hindley:

Yes we'll be getting dressed up. I've just bought that one piece red rubber cat suit of Britney (Spears not Griffiths) and I must say I look damb sexy. Grimers going almost nacked save for a small wooden crusifix with Ritchie Paterson nailed to it over his genitals.

See you there.

Mr K
 Chris Moor 25 Nov 2002
In reply to Andy K:
Where is it, What time is it and are there still tickets available - can't find the original post
 Tom Briggs 25 Nov 2002
In reply to Chris Moor:

Original post below. I've emailed the protagonists to check whether there are still tickets available. I'll post a news item when I know.

"Andy Kirkpatrick and Nial Grimes will be performing at the Montgomery theatre (surrey street, beside the town hall),in Sheffield on the night of Wednesday the 27th of November at 7.30pm.

Andy will be telling the truth and nothing like the truth about his attempt to repeat the Lafialle route on the west face of the Dru, plus his resent ascent of the East face of Mermoz in Patagonia.

Grimer will be talking about climbs, people and flying cats from the last twelve or so months, including his trip to Greenland. He will not be talking about the new Stanage guide!

Andy and Grimer are two of the most entertaining speakers in the UK, so the evening should be one of the lecture highlights of the year.

Tickets are £4.50 and will be available at Moe’s shop at the Edge, or at Outside in Hathersage from the weekend. For more info, or to reserve tickets, contact Highgear55@hotmail.com . Reserved tickets must be picked up before 7.15pm on the night. Some tickets will be available on the door, but tickets sales have been very good already even though this is the first time it’s been advertised!"

Andy K 26 Nov 2002
Hi

There will be 200 tickets on the door on wednesday night and any resrved tickets that havn't been sold will also go on sale at 7.15pm.

See yoy there

Andy K
 Ropeboy 26 Nov 2002
In reply to Andy K:

Where's the nearest pub to the theatre? Does the theatre have one? It seems like ages since I've been into town.

J
paddles 27 Nov 2002
In reply to Ropeboy:

The Globe, opposite the Owen building is probally the nearest.....unless you want the to the Cossack !!!!
paddles 27 Nov 2002
In reply to paddles:

DOH...that should read...

'unless you want to go to the Cossack'.....

Chris Moor 27 Nov 2002
In reply to Ropeboy:
Ages since I've drunk in any of them, but there are three very close by. The Surrey and Fringe, complete with health club thumping away upstairs, the Brown Bear and a psuedo-trendy place that used to be Ye Olde Monke but is now probably called something else in a unsuccessful attempt at irony!
The Globe is normally full of students and the Cossack is full of...actually I've never been in the Cossack so I wouldn't know.
 FunkyNick 27 Nov 2002
Sooo... is anyone planning on meeting up in a pub beforehand??

If so, which pub? The Globe has been mentioned a few times..

markmac 27 Nov 2002
In reply to FunkyNick:

Is beforehand not a bit adventureous Nick? We're gonna be travelling on the M1 at rush hour remember. What time is this this likely to finish? There MUST be time for a beverage and a chin-wag afterwards!
 FunkyNick 27 Nov 2002
In reply to markmac: Well.. was thinking there may be time for a swift one beforehand.. but afterwards sounds good as well..
 Chris Moor 27 Nov 2002
In reply to FunkyNick:
I'll be in the Brown Bear from 6:30. Look out for a tall guy dressed like a bumble bee
Removed User 28 Nov 2002
In reply to Andy K:

Went to the lecture last night-
pretty mixed bag really-

Andy was very entertaining- good slides and stories- but the jumping too and from Patagonia was a bit confusing at times.

Niall had his funny moments- would have been better if he'd concentrated a bit more on one subject- some good slides though but skipped through the climbing ones a bit too fast

But.....
W.T.F was that moron from 'Loaded' doing there- talk about pitching to the wrong audience- and he had two turns at the mike too!
don't give up the day job- and by the way- Leave the Paul Calf impersonations to Steve Coogan.

Thank god the idiot was finally heckled-off- how many more sheets of his tiresome written drivell were to come- it's like the tired old 'best mans' speech joke at the wedding reception- except this jerk did actually have the hand written equivalent of war and peace (but without the laughs!) to read to us. I'm afraid he died a long and slow death- at least somebody in the audience had the compassion to save us all further agony!

markmac 28 Nov 2002
In reply to Removed User:

Were you said heckler by any chance?
Removed User 28 Nov 2002
In reply to markmac:
no.
Removed User 28 Nov 2002
In reply to markmac:

he beat me to it by about 3 seconds!
 markmac 28 Nov 2002

I thought the guy started OK, but just outstayed his welcome a little. And he did seem quite drunk!
 markmac 28 Nov 2002
In reply to markmac:

I'd like to add that I thought Niall and Andy were both very entertaining and I'm incredible glad I went to the lecture.
Removed User 28 Nov 2002
In reply to markmac:
i agree-
without trying to sound insincere but it really is an honour to be able to meet people such as Andy K and in some small way share in their experiences- can't say as I'd ever fancy hanging off a disintegrating portaledge in a minus 15 storm- but then again he'd probably not relish sitting in an office fielding calls from bolshy builders and whineing clients!
 Chris Moor 28 Nov 2002
In reply to Andy K:
I thought the loaded guy's account of his ascent of Tryfan wasn't too bad - making a total meal out of something most of us wouldn't think twice about - but most of his stuff was drunken rambling.
Thought Andy K's style of delivery was brilliant, really enthralling stuff. Found myself feeling really cold at the end - anyone else feel this ?
Seemed to me you had a stream of hardened mountaineers walking out of the theatre wrapped up in fleeces and down jackets, whilst outside there were women on the way to a club dressed in t-shirts and mini-skirts!
 markmac 28 Nov 2002
In reply to Chris Moor:

I noted the same thing to a friend of mine. Obviously Sheffield lasses are potentially hardcore winter mountaineers....no need for expensive clothing for them!
Sron 28 Nov 2002

I have to agree, it was fair enough Andy giving his mate a chance, but I couldn't believe it when we rolled in for the second half and he was up there again. Could you imagine a climber standing on a stage at some Loaded PR event or something, ranting on about the joys of the hills and how you don't really understand the point of getting pissed down the pub on a Friday night or what the fuss about football is? Like I'm supposed to find it funny that he's your average p*ss head bloke who doesn't do anything but laugh at himself for being such a useless tw*t? I think he got off lightly. Andy was good, Grimer looked tired.
StuR 28 Nov 2002
In reply to Sron:

I got a bit chilly as Andy was talking about frostbite and being bitterly cold etc. Didn't have the heart (or balls?) to reach for my jacket though!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...