UKC

reccomend me a rucksack?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 vincentvega 28 May 2008
as the title suggests, im in need of a new rucksack. uses include alpine, scottish winter day trips and hill walking mainly. so about a 40-45l will do the job. must be lightweight for its size and have compression straps for the axes. any suggestions ukc?? cheers
 Alex Roddie 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
Berghaus Arete 45 - nuff said. Cheap, basic, nice and light, and works fine for alpine and winter cilmbing. The only disadvantage is that the shoulder straps are a little thin, which some people find makes carrying heavy loads uncomfortable (although I've never found this). The back system is also very basic, which can cause sweaty back syndrome in summer but it's an ideal back system for winter use.

The sack has good compression straps and a single large compartment, no side pockets or complicated features. Twin daisy chains on the front - and gear loops on the hipbelt and shoulder straps, which are really useful. I like to use one of them as an ice axe holster.
 BelleVedere 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Have a look at the osprey sacks - my other half just bought one and i'm really impressed with it. I have an omm sack and like it - so another one to try on
 SFM 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Mammut Granit 40l. Might be too small for your wants but worth a look.
 PeterM 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

POD Black Ice
 Hay 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
What about this?
Not mine btw, but looks like it fits the bill.

http://tinyurl.com/6byww6

Bruce
 Luke90 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
Another recommendation for Osprey here. Just bought myself a Talon 44 and love it.
On the other hand, the Berghaus Arete 45 is a bit of a bargain at half the price as someone already mentioned.
 Dr Rorlasaurus 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Lowe alpine mountain attack, if you can find any...

Or any derivitive of, i.e. alpine attack, snow attack, peak attack... whatever. The simple ones with the Lowe load locker buckle (silver fancy thing)
jokerjack 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Berghaus Arete 45: cheap, comfortable, can pack plenty of gear in it.

also quite good at ballancing the load on your back for when your climbing, and has two sets of buckles one at waist height and one at chest height so its nice and secure.

integral re-inforced haul loops aswell are pretty good

good top pocket to stash keys, phone guidebooks chocolate etc.

great all rounder i'd say!

OP vincentvega 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: cheers everyone for the replies, il be having a look at the recomends!!
 GarethSL 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: whats your budget?
 Green Porridge 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

This?

http://www.theomm.com/The-Villain4510RL.html

I've had a jirishaca RL for a couple of months, and I think it's the bomb - soooo light, too. I've not seent he villain "in the flesh" as it were, but if it's anything like the jirishanca, you wont be disappointed.

Tim
OP vincentvega 28 May 2008
In reply to Gaz lord: dont have one! its going to get used alot so il spend the money if needs be!
 GarethSL 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Well another vote for Osprey but also Arc'teryx, they are very expensive although there are a few going on Ebay at the mo (about £140).

I have the osprey talon 33 and I find it is too lightweight and not robust enough, I imagine that would be the case with the 44. Although incredibly comfortable, I run with mine. For everything else I have the Acrux 50, by Arc'teryx, I managed to get it cheap. Which is very lightweight and very durable. Whilst also being incredibly comfortable. It can extend up to 70 liters at a push and compact down to about 35 if needs be. Has all the features you were after plus more. Problem is getting one on the cheap that fits.

The Osprey exposure series also look good though only come in sizes 36 50 and 66. These are designed for mountaineering so are more specific with features.

I also recommend Marmots packs as well, a friend has the Eiger 45 and swears by it.

Probably best you shop around try some on, as in shops to try them with weight inside them and see how comfortable they are. Once you have found the one or got an idea of the ones you want, scout around on-line and see if you can find one cheap and in the right size, not to mention one that does not interfere with harness' and other gear etc.

HTH
 PeterM 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

You've probably seen this before: http://www.psychovertical.com/?perfectsack

But the POD Black Ice is quite simply brilliant - can be stripped down, lid and belt removed.Is a supremely comfortable carry whether overloaded (60+ litres using snow collarr and floating lid, or if it has barely anything in it as it cinches down very well and remains stable. Materials are (or at least were) bombproof and have used mine for alpine, scottish winter day trips and hill walking, multiday camping.

HTH

PeterM
 Pedro50 28 May 2008
In reply to Green Porridge:
> (In reply to vincentvega)
>

>I've not seent he villain "in the flesh" as it were, but if it's anything like the jirishanca, you wont be disappointed.
>
IMHO fabric too light and fragile for climbing. Ideal for walking & fell running etc. I had one on the GR20 and got two little tears when descending a slabby corner facing outwards.

Kate Edhouse 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

take a look at the osprey talon 44, got one about 3 weeks ago, its flipping brillinat.
 Mr Lopez 28 May 2008
In reply to jokerjack:
Already had a go at Berghaus rucksacks in a similar post to this, but for everyone's benefit i'll go again.

Got 2 Berghaus rucksacks, the arete 45 being one of them, and...

> Berghaus Arete 45: cheap, comfortable, can pack plenty of gear in it.

It is not comfortable when fully loaded, the straps are too thin as someone said before, and they deform, causing 'big time' pain in the collar bone.

> also quite good at ballancing the load on your back for when your climbing, and has two sets of buckles one at waist height and one at chest height so its nice and secure.

The shoulder straps loosen themselves constantly, and you have to keep tightening them every few minutes to have a balanced load. The chest straps fell of the arete (both of them in the same day), so i started sharing the ones from the other rucksack between them, until another one fell.
The waist strap cannot be used with a harness, it has gear loops, which look good but is utterly pointless unless they'd positioned it higher or given it less volume.

> integral re-inforced haul loops aswell are pretty good

The haul loop on the arete came off and had to have it restitched.

> good top pocket to stash keys, phone guidebooks chocolate etc.

Which is as waterproof as a sponge, so unusable for anyhting water-sensible such as paper, camera, etc.

> great all rounder i'd say!

Don't think so

joe.91 28 May 2008
In reply to Mr Lopez:
i agree, i to have the Arete and i've encountered all of those problems! I'm also looking for a rucksack about 50L with 10L expandable lid for multiday climbs and to do my D of E, any other suggestions apart from crux, pod etc?
 thebigeasy 28 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: It has to be the Pod black ice. Its down to a Kilo stripped. Possible a bit be for walking and easy alpine stuff thou but still lighter than some sacks that are smaller.
 Alex Roddie 28 May 2008
In reply to Mr Lopez:
> It is not comfortable when fully loaded, the straps are too thin as someone said before, and they deform, causing 'big time' pain in the collar bone.

Mine's perfectly comfortable when fully loaded! I've never had any trouble with the shoulder straps cutting into my shoulders either. It's one of the most comfortable rucksacks I've ever used.

> The shoulder straps loosen themselves constantly, and you have to keep tightening them every few minutes to have a balanced load. The chest straps fell of the arete (both of them in the same day), so i started sharing the ones from the other rucksack between them, until another one fell.

I've never had the shoulder straps loosening themselves either, or the chest strap falling off.

> The waist strap cannot be used with a harness, it has gear loops, which look good but is utterly pointless unless they'd positioned it higher or given it less volume.

I can use mine with a harness fine and find the gear loops very useful!

> Which is as waterproof as a sponge, so unusable for anyhting water-sensible such as paper, camera, etc.

You don't expect rucksacks to be waterproof! I stick a small Exped drybag in there.

Are you sure we have the same Arete 45??! Before you ask, I've had it for two or three years and have used it for everything from backpacking, hillwalking, winter climbing and Alpinism. I have also carried loads of up to 25kg or thereabouts without any discomfort whatsoever. Neither has any part of it come loose or broken.

Maybe you have a dud?
 Scotti 28 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: My 35 litre Arete was cheap, is very comfortable and sits over my harness nicely even though I am a short-arse. Think I paid £35 and am very pleased with it.
soveda@work 29 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to Mr Lopez)
> [...]
>
> Mine's perfectly comfortable when fully loaded! I've never had any trouble with the shoulder straps cutting into my shoulders either. It's one of the most comfortable rucksacks I've ever used.
>
> [...]
>
> I've never had the shoulder straps loosening themselves either, or the chest strap falling off.
>
> [...]
>
> I can use mine with a harness fine and find the gear loops very useful!
>
> [...]
>
> You don't expect rucksacks to be waterproof! I stick a small Exped drybag in there.
>
>
> Are you sure we have the same Arete 45??! Before you ask, I've had it for two or three years and have used it for everything from backpacking, hillwalking, winter climbing and Alpinism. I have also carried loads of up to 25kg or thereabouts without any discomfort whatsoever. Neither has any part of it come loose or broken.
>
> Maybe you have a dud?

I'd second all of this. My arete has been comfortable and sturdy. It is the 35l one though. The problems described sound like a batch issue!
 CarolineMc 29 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: I use a Berghaus crag which I've had for years and despite it being incredibly simple with fairly small stiff straps, I've happily backpacked with it on multiday trips, fully loaded, as well as yomped up to crags with full rack and rope without discomfort.

However, people here are recommending Osprey and if I was you, I'd hold out for the new Mutant... released around July. Seems to be exactly what you need... a cross between a backpacking, crag and winter sack but lightweight and strong. Just wait that little bit longer!

C-:
In reply to vincentvega:

Have you looked at the Aguille sacks? - www.aguillealpine.co.uk

British made and with a pretty good reputation I gather.
 Mr Lopez 29 May 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: I got mine last summer, so chances are they are different. It looks like it's been revised last winter, so hopefully some of the problems have been solved.
noxious 29 May 2008
In reply to Different Steve:
> (In reply to vincentvega)
>
> Have you looked at the Aguille sacks? - www.aguillealpine.co.uk
>
> British made and with a pretty good reputation I gather.

Wondered when someone would pipe up with my favorite. I have a few rucksacks. The Aiguille looks a bit basic and that's because it is. Does what it says on the tin. I have Crux and Lowe Mountain Attack sacks but usually opt for the Aiguille if I can cram my gear in.
http://www.aiguillealpine.co.uk/shop/index.htm
My friend has the Arete 45 and complains about the thin padding on the shoulder straps.
OP vincentvega 29 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: cheers again for the recccomendations. has anyone had any experience of using the crux ak 47?? seen it on the advertising bar at top of the screen!!
Tango 29 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:

Every time somebody is looking for a backpack for alpine use, I can't but suggest to have a look at Cilogear packs:

www.cilogear.com

In my opinion these are by far the best packs on the market. It's a small company based in New York whose products are designed by a climber for climbers. And in my opinion this really shows in the details you find in their products.

Plus, the weak dollar makes these packs quite cheap compared to the big brands...

If I were you I would have a look at the Worksack 40 or Worksack 60. They can both be compressed down to a size you can climb with, and expanded for the approach.

They are also extremely light.

Alternatives could be Cold Cold World or Wild Things Alpinista. But I still prefer Cilogear.

Cheers.
 Scotti 29 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
> (In reply to vincentvega) cheers again for the recccomendations. has anyone had any experience of using the crux ak 47?? seen it on the advertising bar at top of the screen!!

Gonna be at least twice the price of an Arete.
 MRJ 29 May 2008
In reply to Scotti:
Crux- good burly packs. Will last.
Bergaus - good, a bit gimiky, and avoid the freeflow for climbing (balance too far back)
Osprey- over-engineered and painfully heavy

I suggest checking out cilogear.com : proper company owned by a proper climber. no gimmicks, no bullshit, just really nice packs (light, burly, functional). They aren't as pretty, no doubt, but they are the best out there for performance.
Apex distributes them in the UK, but it's probably still cheaper to buy 'em straight from graham at cilogear.com
 beardy mike 29 May 2008
In reply to MRJ: Crux - have an oldish AK35 and it is twoddle. The top zip started to disintergrate within weeks, and is now not functional, and the stitching which attatched the base to the hip blet started to give way within months. The fabric is good, and the design overall is not bad but unless they have rectified the other aspects I'd not buy from them again.

Osprey - I agree most are heavy and over engineered, but haviong said I would never buy one for these reasons I was plesently surprised by the Exposure 35, which does exactly what you need. Its small size encourages you to ditch the rubbish you'll never need, and it is very comfortable, without too many new fangled thingymabobs to get in the way. Absolutely no complaints. The Mutant seris looks even better. The Talon is IMHO going to be too light for full bore scottish use and will not last the distance despite being magnificently light.

OMM Jirishanca - was almost right, but not quite - very very light but the compression seemed too flimsy to be worth the bother so why bother? The Villan with the impressive letters after its name looked better.

Have a Grivel pack which carried like a sack of shit. I would not recomend them at all. Looked the business in the shop. Have looked at the new Alpine series and they look like over speced twaddle

Have a Marmot Eiger 45 with a slightly older back system. This was the most comfortable pack I had ever had until I bought my Osprey. Does Precisely what it says on the tin.

Lowe alpine - had a Contour moutain for years and it was a good basic pack and lasted for ages. It is still going strong as someone inherited it. They are basic but good.

Have also had TNF packs - which were initially disappointing as they became unstitched quickly. Mind you I was carrying 40-45 kg's in one of them, and pulling a sledge using the ice axe loops so not that surprising. Having said that my expedition pack is still going, after a sewing and seamgrip session and is extremely comfortable, whilst my Himalayan light is also still going strong, although its not a great load carrier so I have now modified it a bit and is a fast and lightish pack despite being massive. I like the size as it means I don't need to be as careful when packing as in how I pack...

BD - have an old ice light pack which was one of their earlier packs and really don't like it - bad to carry, over featured and the plastic bits broke. So you have a full and completley unobjective and nigh on useless roundup of my packs...
almost sane 29 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
I have one of the first versions of the Crux A50. Very light and very tough and very leaky.

I put up with the leaky because of the light and tough.

I have seen and envied the POD Black Ice and Macpac Pursuit, but I chose the Crux in part because it was lighter and in part because it was half price.

The Crux customer service is very good.
 cliff shasby 29 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: after trying all the big makes i tried an arcteryx pack..there really is no comparison the fit and comfort are far superior..

macpac..durable and well made but the shoulder straps and waist belt might as well be made of cast iron.
crux..very light and strong but so is an asda bag and about as comfortable when fully loaded.
pod..like crux but not quite as uncomfortable.
osprey.. had one once and never got on with it,plus a bit jazzy..straps everywhere.
berghaus..got a day sac freeflow thingy,more for carrying on holiday etc..has gone fluffy round the edges very quick but twas cheap.

at the end of the day its what fits YOU,try loads and dont be rushed in the shop and get em loaded up to the tits.
i think you dont see many peeps with arcteryx packs because of the price which is fair enough,tis a shame though i believe they are in a league of their own.

cliffy
Tango 30 May 2008
In reply to cliff shasby:

Backcountry is selling the Nozone very cheap right now...

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/ARC0417/Arcteryx-Nozone-Backpack-27...
 Stash 30 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
osprey talon 44. lightweight, will excell at hillwalking and good for alpine climbs and scottish days out. get one
 Stash 30 May 2008
In reply to cliff shasby:
i remember selling you an arcteryx pack a few years back in manchester a nozone if i remember, you kept coming back to try it and eventually snapped it up at a good price!
OP vincentvega 30 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega: cheers all!!
Matt does not bounce 30 May 2008
In reply to vincentvega:
just bought a millet prolight 45 (from ebay dude further up this thread) I'll let you know how it is when it turns up...
OP vincentvega 30 May 2008
In reply to Matt does not bounce: cheers, appreciated!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...