UKC

Climbing in the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Cole 12 Jun 2008
Hi,

have family in the Wicklow Mountains and was wondering if anyone knows of any (trad preferably) climbing in the area for next time I'm over there? Or where would be a good place to find out...

Thanks,

Rob
OP Rob Cole 12 Jun 2008
In reply to BOOGA: Superb, thank you, I'd be staying up near lough dann, so Luggala is probably my best start and maybe Glendalough, do you know where I could get hold of a guide book for the area. Also would be well up for meeting up if you're up for doing some guiding, I lead up to HVS at the moment and will hopefully be bringing a few mates over too...

Thanks
 milkyjoe 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Rob Cole:

UKC is great, isn't it? Post a question about an area, and within half an hour you've got a bunch of info and an offer of a climbing partner.

And not even for somewhere in the UK!
 BOOGA 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Rob Cole:
You'll be lucky to get your hands on the guide book as it's out of print....I could loan it to you...but I'll be seriously pissed if it doesnt find it's way back...happened before..

If your staying at Lough Dan, climb at lough Dan crag for a start. Luggala is fantastic, Glendalough has great bouldering in the valley also.
Yeah, let me know when your coming over and if I'm free, I'll get a couple of the heads together and meet up.
Oh, bring midge repellent!!
 john howard 1 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Rob Cole: Yeah BOOGA pretty much covered most of what wicklow has to offer, also if you're into bouldering check out - http://www.theshortspan.com/index.htm ,wicklow granite is usually rough enough to be grand to climb on even just after rain, so if the weather craps out there's always something to keep you occupied, definitely check out glendalough-it has some of Irelands best bouldering and routes too, send me an e-mail when you get here if you want some company, seeya
John
 BenTiffin 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Rob Cole: Its good to have local advice. I was taken to a place called Hollywood (they even had the letters on the hillside above the village). Nice, small single pitch venue as we only had a couple of hours to spare. Very enjoyable but I suspect not a par on the other venues mentioned.

Ben
 auld al 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Rob Cole: nevis sports in fort william had a copy 2 days ago....
 BOOGA 13 Jun 2008
In reply to BenTiffin:
> (In reply to Rob Cole) Its good to have local advice. I was taken to a place called Hollywood (they even had the letters on the hillside above the village)
> Ben

Hi, Hollywood (closest crag to me) is sadly out of bounds at the moment. V delicate access issues ongoing due to misuse by commercial groups teaching kids.
Useless fact: Hollywood (movie land) in California is named for this Hollywood here in Wicklow by a local man who staked a claim out there back in the day....
OP Rob Cole 13 Jun 2008
In reply to auld al: Superb, copy purchased! Thanks for the tip. Indeed UKC is a wonderful place, info, guidebook and guide offers all greatly recieved. Thank you all!
 BenTiffin 13 Jun 2008
In reply to BOOGA: Shame, my vague memory of the place tells me there were some lovely lower grade routes there. A 'fun' chimney/crack/cave type thing on the right hand side rings a bell but I can't remember anything more than that.

Ben
 auld al 17 Jun 2008
In reply to Rob Cole: thx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...