UKC

buying zimbabwe dollars

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gareth H 21 Jul 2008
Assuming I can't walk into the post office and buy some 100 billion dollar bills, where could you get them from?

Gareth
 Padraig 21 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H:

... order them from a bank? You could then buy a loaf!!!
 Mattyk 22 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H: Its probably illegal to take more than a certain amount of the country, hence not possible to change cash here. Your money changing will take place in a few legit places in zimbabwe (airport, bank etc) and for a better rate on the streets, but I suspect the desire for decent currency out there at the moment would make money changing very harrowing. When i was in Nigeria there were literally 20 odd guys crowding around the car when i was changing some cash.
 Frank4short 22 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H: I believe the only way to do it to any extent is to go to the blackmarket in Zim. If you use the official exchange rates/mechanisms you'll get royally screwed say probably a penny's worth of currency to the pound if not less. You'd probably be better off dealing in dollars if truth be told. This is what my GF's zim friend says anyway.
 toddles 26 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H:

I saw Zimbabwe dollars for sale in a shop today in Cecil Court, number 20 I think?
It's a kind of collectors shop in WC2 London just off Charing Cross rd.

They have the 10 million dollar, the 25 million, the 50 million and the 100 million dollar bills in the shop window.
Prices are about £9.50 for the larger notes.

Anglesey Pete 26 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H: You can get them on ebay< just had a look
 LewisDale 26 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H: they'd be a good long term investment. Their economy will surely improve (cant really worsen to much its already a 'failed state' in 10 20 or 50 years and the return you could make would be pretty good, i reckon.
 grumsta 26 Jul 2008
In reply to LewisDale:

Think they have a limited lifespan
 Richard Carter 26 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H:

I see, buy 1 billion Z dollars then wait until they're worth say £1. Then cash in :-D
 arctickev 26 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H:

Gareth if you are travelling to Zim, my advice would be to take US dollars in low denominations.

We changed up a bricks worth and would have been better off just keeping us dollar bills to pay for stuff.

Kev
Removed User 27 Jul 2008
In reply to Gareth H:

DON'T trade on the street unless you feel very sure of yourself. Not only is it illegal but there are some serious scams that take place.
 D.Musgrave 27 Jul 2008
In reply to LewisDale:
Their economy can only improve, but when it does these billion dollar notes will become obsolete & only of interest to bank note collectors as curios. So many will have been saved that they will not have any curiosity market value, even for bank note collectors. So the notes will be worthless, either as currency or collectables for decades.
Don't bother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...