UKC

Rheged dismise and the way forward

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ian McNeill 05 Aug 2008
Called in yesterday on way back from centerParcs and found it closed great shame on it all, I had fired up the family the kids were looking forward to looking at the displays and I was looking forward to having a mooch.

Found the doors unlocked some great photos by Leo Dickinson the rest of the exhibition looked pitiful can something be done to make it a joint effort of a museum say somewhere like Llanberis ? or a warehouse Sheffield ?

as I said i was very disappointed to see it closed read other threads relating to

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&na...

what can be done ? any progress on the idea muted here http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=277740#x4122280

Is there any options to fund raise and open up the display somewhere else, any thoughts from people who were involved in it directly.

shame to loose all the exhibits, I would the be able to visit with others to see and be proud of our climbing heritage .... a great place for younger people to be educated. There are art exhibitions, museums to sheep dogs, Wordsworth, slate production, King Arthur, Green living......

Why7 cant the BMC support such a venture for Mountaineering and climbing, with a conference center to bring in cash to pay for the whole thing with there offices and MLTE all together a super centre for mountaineering in the UK ??

Tall Clare 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian McNeill:

I'm surprised they haven't approached other organisations like Paul Hamlyn, Esme Fairbairn, Clore Duffield etc to support with funding. Perhaps the organisational structure (or rather constitution) wasn't working... does seem like a great shame though.
OP Ian McNeill 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian McNeill:

probably the Olympics take all the cash?

surely there are some people with some push and pull who care out there ?

maybe the management / committee at Rheged don't care or what ?

It is a nice place if passing to visit but there are signs in the petrol station declaring the presence of the NME ... and all the location maps show its existence, its only when you reach the actual door theres a A4 sheet of paper saying closed...

On speaking to one member of staff to ask about it they were past caring for it ...

some one does need to care for the exhibition, cant a fund be started or a place chosen to display all the items ?

I wish I had poped back out for my torch to take a close look around..

who is in charge of it ? the NME exhibits ?

can it be re homed anywhere ? does anyone know of a location ? or group who can pick it up and run with it ?

I was totally disappointed to see it in the state it was in time will lead to decay and destruction of some of the more fragile exhibits ...... shame to loose them...
 JB 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian McNeill:

I love museums and mountaineering heritage etc but I never ever went to Rheged, it was just in the wrong place. I was either on my way home or getting excited about nearing the Lakes after a 2hr drive. Had it been in one of the main town/village centres it surely would have done better. Look at all the hundredds of people that walk round Keswick town centre ona wet day! I presume cost was a factor but the whole thing was flawed from the outset.
Jonno 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian McNeill:

I think it was too expensive to get in. Especially if you were taking 3 kids and a partner. If it had been about three quid for an adult with a family ticket for a tenner it would have attracted more through the doors.
A good cafe/shop would have made up for the lower admission.
 Chris the Tall 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian McNeill:
Anyone know who owns the exhibition contents ?

As many have said one of the problems with it was undoubtedly the location - nice place to stop on the way to and from the North Lakes, but only for a quick break.

I also don't think there will ever be the demand from climbers to justify a permanent exhibition. I do think that it just might work as a touring exhibition, maybe a month a year in locations such as Keswick's moot hall or Sheffield's winter gardens.

Removed User 05 Aug 2008
In reply to Ian McNeill:

It's a real shame but as is so often the case with our sport, the enthusiasm for the project by the individuals involved outstrips the business plan.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...