UKC

Psychovertical

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
rossjmc 17 Sep 2008

Had this on order since May of this year from Amazon. I have to say it's been very long awaited. It arrived yesterday and i'm half way through it already.

It certainly didn't dissapoint, one of the best climbing books i think i've read. Absolutely Brilliant. I'd reccomend this to everyone. I love the way the chapters alternate between different life and climbing experiences, and the climb of the reticent wall.

Anyone else read any of it, looking forward to it??? etc

davefount 17 Sep 2008
In reply to rossjmc:

finished it yesterday.

An excellent read. Quite inspiring. I do hope he hasn't used up all his luck! You can't put all of his close escapes down to skill.

I was slightly disapointed that there was nothing on his and Parnells repeat of the Lafaille route. I was under the impression that was before the Reticent, and it must have been a stand out experience.
Ackbar 02 Oct 2008
In reply to rossjmc: Read this in one day. Amazing. Up there with White Spider and Touching the void.
 glasto_mudd 02 Oct 2008
In reply to rossjmc:

not heard of this one before, will def give it a look!
 rusty_nails 02 Oct 2008
In reply to rossjmc:

Hands down, the single best climbing book i have read!!! (and i'm only on around pitch 6 of reticent wall)

Well done Andy, can't wait to see your lecture later this month!
Ackbar 03 Oct 2008
In reply to rossjmc: Perversely, I actually want to learn how to solo aid now. I can't understand why, considering how horrific it sounds. I guess Andy achieved his aim of explaining why it is so addictive to him.

The book is great for 2 main reasons. 1st is the structure. Every story is there for a purpose and it all builds up to the end point. 2nd is his ability to expalin the emotions of climbing (without getting over dramatic or too wet).

So, what are the best sources to learn aid climbing and solo aid climbing from? The psychovertical website is good but doesn't seem to cover solo techniques for aiding.
rossjmc 03 Oct 2008
In reply to Ackbar:

Me too. I'd love to give it a go at some point.

check this out, there's a small section as far as i remember on solo climbing. Lots of other useful stuff in there too

http://www.bigwalls.net/
 Eagle River 03 Oct 2008
In reply to rossjmc:

I was bought this book by a very generous climbing partner and am nearly half way through. I agree its a really good read, and as with most other climbing books I've read (most recently This Game of Ghosts) it consolidates my complete lack of interest in ever going alpine winter climbing. Could not be less interested in trying it myself although i love reading about other people doing it.
In reply to Eagle River: Do you fancy going to his lecture on the 21st of this month with a very generous climbing partner?
Ackbar 03 Oct 2008
In reply to rossjmc: Cheers, that is a good site.
 Eagle River 03 Oct 2008
In reply to climberjamie:

Where is it? And are you free to climb on sunday? either outdoors or if weather turns we could attack those new main wall routes.
In reply to Eagle River: sure thing man. Its at leeds city varieties. I am up for this weekend deffo! could go to foredale if your not bored of it? or attack those main wall problems like you suggest.
 Eagle River 03 Oct 2008
In reply to climberjamie:

Cool I'll give you a shout saturday, I'm Djing in the evening but not sure what time so if its a late set I'll not be making an early start!

andy kirkpatrick 03 Oct 2008
In reply to davefount:

Hi

Thanks for all the great feedback, andin ref to Lafaille route, that was a few months after the end of this book, and so is in book number 2 (Cold Wars).

Also I know it's a big favoure, but PLEASE can anyone who's read it please post a review (one word's fine...well unless that word is CRAP) on Amazon.

Cheers

Andy
In reply to andy kirkpatrick: Ooh Cold Wars.... i can't wait!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...