UKC

REVIEW: Posing Productions On Sight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2008
DON'T READ TILL AFTER YOU HAVE SEEN IT...... unless you want to know the outcome of some of the onsight attempts.

Alastair Lee has made a film that we can all relate to.

Every weekend thousands of us go climbing and climb onsight, starting at the bottom of a climb without any knowledge of what is ahead, apart from what we can see with our eyes. Adventure climbing; where you don't know what is ahead, where you don't know the moves or whether you can even do them, where you have to select and place your own protection, the risk and the adventure is increased.

The difference of course is the level at which Alastair's subjects climb, the cutting edge of what is possible without any pre-inspection, the ultimate in climbing style. These climbs may not be E10 and above, but the ascents of them by talented climbers represent what is the pinnacle of climbing achievement, in the great British tradition of onsight climbing.

Dave Pickford, the editor of planetFear was lucky enough to get a sneak preview of On Sight and shares his thoughts with us.

Read Dave's review here: http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=1340
 ksjs 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: note to Dave - Fair Head is in Northern Ireland not Donegal. please! the whole thing sounds amazing...
OP Michael Ryan 16 Oct 2008
In reply to ksjs:

corrected
 ksjs 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: thank you!
 Enty 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Jeezus! The trailer shows Pete huffing and puffing on Master's Edge. This fantastic is even used in the publicity for the film and you've just gone and told me that he does infact hold the jug.

FFS

The Ent
 TonyG 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I'm really looking forwards to watching this film, but I can't help feeling that it would have had my hands sweating and my arse on the edge of my seat just a little bit more if I hadn't read this review and been told the outcome of just about every onsight attempt in the film!! Thankfully I binned it halfway, so at least half the film will still carry its full impact (or should I say, I'll still have the opportunity to watch at least half of it onsight!!!).

If anyone else out there doesn't already know the outcome of the onsight attempts in this film then I'd recommend you don't read this review.

Tony

Quiddity 16 Oct 2008

could this please come with a spoiler warning?
 Quiddity 16 Oct 2008

> Dave Pickford, the editor of planetFear was lucky enough to get a sneak preview of On Sight and shares his thoughts with us.

Actually, this has made me quite cross. Clearly no one else has seen the sneak preview, what is the point of giving away the outcome of all the tense bits?
 Enty 16 Oct 2008

Ditto! I'm not the only one. Call me a bit anal but what a stupid review!

The Ent
 Tom Last 16 Oct 2008
In reply to Enty:

Agreed, just one long annoying list.
 Calder 16 Oct 2008
In reply to TonyG: Appreciated. I read the thread first, thankfully.
spoiler alert added........
 Tyler 16 Oct 2008

You'll be telling us next that Bruce Willis is a ghost in Sixth Sense next....oops!
I'm not sure how many ascents are in the film...quite a few I would think.

Correct me if I am wrong, as I sometimes am, but I think just the outcome of 3 onsight ascents are disclosed.

I'm sure this film is about more than those three ascents - lots of interviews, lots of climbers and lots of attempts and successes.

I'm sure you will enjoy the film. I am certainly looking forward to it.
In reply to Tyler:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> You'll be telling us next that Bruce Willis is a ghost in Sixth Sense next....oops!

Is that a Peter Mortimer film or a Richie Heap?

francois 16 Oct 2008
I'm not worrying too much about the spoilers, I'm sure we'll get to see some great onsight ascents and quite a few epic failures I guess.
I can't wait to get this through my letterbox, it looks pretty awesome.

Francois
 Quiddity 16 Oct 2008

Thanks for adding the spoiler warning Mick.

I am sure there are plenty of ascents in the film which will be utterly gripping, I'm thinking of the totally gripping footage in the trailer, and how much of a shame it is to know what happens.

iamthegodoflochnagar 16 Oct 2008

> Correct me if I am wrong, as I sometimes am, but I think just the outcome of 3 onsight ascents are disclosed.

Well, having read the review and looked at the pictures you know the outcome of nine by my count but never mind. I'm sure it will be a good film.

adderz 16 Oct 2008

stupid review! had to stop half way as i thought it would spoil the dvd when i get it! good idea that one
 Max factor 26 Oct 2008
> DON'T READ TILL AFTER YOU HAVE SEEN IT......

too late, I linked directly from the news page so didn't see the spolier alert. Quit after realising that the review would take a lot of the impact of the film away. Sorry Dave, but wish I'd never started reading it.
 datoon 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: After watching the film which is excellent.

I've only 1 criticism of the dvd - where are the extras? I recall at the premier, from the interviews that there was over 150hrs worth of clips. Surely an extras section wouldn't have been hard bring together?
 DrGav 09 Nov 2008
In reply to datoon:

Yes i thought that too - no extras and no way to select chapters? Seems like a missed opportunity to inexpensively fill out the dvd. I like the extras!
 Pino 10 Nov 2008

DVD bought and watched over the weekend and found it a little disappointing because:

- a lot of talking and relatevely little climbing. Even showing "ordinary strangers" attempting good routes would have been better than watching people preach. I don't personally believe that good climbing is only done by the famous attepting the hardest routes. Climbing well is rare but can be found at any grade;

- no sport climbing shown, at all;

- short (and no extras).

Buy a copy anyway, though, as this is only my opinion.
ciao.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...