UKC

Dark ales

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alex Roddie 31 Oct 2008
What's your favourite? Tried any good ones lately?

I always used to be a strong supporter of Adnams Tally Ho, with Black Cuillin coming in at a close second, but recently I've come to appreciate Black Cuillin more and more. I think in fact it may well be my favourite pint, all things considered. It's a shame to finally remove Broadside from its long-standing position as 'Alex's Favourite Ale' but I think Black Cuillin deserves the honour.

Yesterday I also tried Arran Dark for the first time, and while it's not as dark as some dark ales, it's a very drinkable pint and I like it. Williams Black I am not so keen on. I think it's too dark for my tastes.

I think one thing I have learned since working at the Clachaig is that I really don't like ales with a low alcohol percentage. I don't like the taste of anything with less than 4% alcohol. Stuff like Williams Joker (5%) is fantastic, and I suspect this is why I have been a fan of bottled Broadside (6.5%!) for several years!

So--any other good Scottish dark ales to be recommended? I can suggest some to Jack if there are some good'uns; who knows, we might be able to get some of them on as guest ales here at some point.
Alex McRoddie 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

> I think one thing I have learned since working at the Clachaig

Are you working at the Clachaig now?

dazza72 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Dark Island
Thrappledouser
(any of the ales form the Black IsleBrewery)

i'll have to get my thinking cap on...now..there's a few in the back of my mind.....
Removed User 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Hobgoblin - Not overly dark but very nice
OP Alex Roddie 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex McRoddie:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
>
> [...]
>
> Are you working at the Clachaig now?

Yes ... what's with the username?!
OP Alex Roddie 01 Nov 2008
In reply to dazza72:
> Dark Island

Mmmm that's another favourite!
 DougG 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

> So--any other good Scottish dark ales to be recommended? I can suggest some to Jack if there are some good'uns; who knows, we might be able to get some of them on as guest ales here at some point.

Dark Island (Orkney), as suggested - it's a classic - or Lia Fail (Glenalmond) are both fairly common around Aberdeen.

An interesting one might be Auld Rock by the Valhalla brewery - had one of them while in Shetland last year and it was very nice.

Old Engine Oil by Harviestoun isn't bad either though I've only ever tasted the bottled version... and it's about 6% abv I think!
 Tall Clare 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

>
> So--any other good Scottish dark ales to be recommended? I can suggest some to Jack if there are some good'uns; who knows, we might be able to get some of them on as guest ales here at some point.

this is going to sound a bit mean of me but iirc every time I've been in the clachaig they've had guest ales on; I suspect Jack (if he's the bar manager) will have his selections planned/covered with the brewery reps... The Clachaig's been open for a looooong time now...

Toby S 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Black Cuillin and Orkney Dark are both two of my faves. I don't know if it will travel well but Jail Ale from the Princetown brewery in Dartmoor is lovely. A really nice pint and good and strong too! I quite like Atlas' 3 Sisters too.

Anything by Black Isle brewery is only fit for cleaning cutlery.
dinkypen 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex McRoddie:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie)
>
> [...]
>
> Are you working at the Clachaig now?

<snigger!> You are naughty
 DougG 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Toby S:

> Anything by Black Isle brewery is only fit for cleaning cutlery.

It takes a lot for me to pour most of the contents of a bottle of beer down the sink, but that's what happened the one and only time I tried a bottle of some of their stuff!
psd 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Last night I was drinking Midnight Sun, from Williams Bros of Alloa (it says on this here bottle) - Tesco had it on offer. Masses of roast barley in it, so quite a smoky, peaty kind of porter with just a hint of ginger. Rather nice, I thought, but not as good as the Poachers Ale I had before it - damson and liquorice added for extra flavour, and really well balanced...
 petestack 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
> (In reply to Alex McRoddie)
> what's with the username?!

Perhaps it's for real?

Although somehow I doubt it (and, no, it's not me and I don't know who it is!)...

KoiLisa 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: If you like your stouts and porterd, can I recommend to you the Winter Ales Festival held in Manchester in January? It's held in the CIS building, right next to Victoria train station. My favourite was a Marble Arch brewed stout with ruby port added. It weighed in at about 7.3%. A real winter warmer! x
In reply to Alex Roddie:

My favourites are Owd Roger - http://www.beerparadise.ltd.uk/product.asp?productid=13661

and McEwans Champion - http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mcewans-champion/9574/2463/
Both very strong but you tend to only need one to be satisfied.

The best I have found though is this - http://www.beerpal.com/Alcazar-Gaolers-Ale-Beer/19420/ which is sadly not very widely available.

Alan
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Another vote here for Dark Island, I know it's not Scottish but why has nobody mentioned Theakston's Old Peculier? Still remember the pint of O.P. I had in the pub next to the Theakston brewery. Just wish it was easier to find on draught, there are few pubs in Scotland that have had well looked after OP, the Bon Accord in Glasgow and the Castlecary near Cumbernauld being two that I have visited in the distant past. Anybody else know of others?
 DougG 01 Nov 2008
In reply to the crabbit man:

Prince of Wales in Aberdeen regularly has Old Peculier as a guest ale.
russfaeudny 01 Nov 2008
In reply to DougG:

Brew dog - Rip Tide more of a stout but if you haven't tried get a couple of bottles.
 nastyned 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: Sarah Hughes Original Dark Ruby mild is a good 'un.
 D.Musgrave 01 Nov 2008
In reply to nastyned:
> (In reply to Alex Roddie) Sarah Hughes Original Dark Ruby mild is a good 'un.
> Never tried that, but it's good to see someone mention dark mild.(Is it a dark mild?) Whether it's mild or bitter, dark beers have their own taste. My latest fsvourite is a Jennings of Cockermouth's "Sneck Lifter" bitter.
I have noticed that the women I know who drink beer, will go for a dark beer first, whether it be mild or bitter, high or low alcohol, dark is often their first choice.

Bingers 01 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

May I recommend Black Gold by Copper Dragon of Skipton. Superb beer.

Whilst we're having a beery thread, did anyone see the programme "Yorkshire's Perfect Pint" on ITV one day in the early part of the last week? The owner of one of the pubs in Appletreewick was off visiting Yorkshire breweries to find suitable beers for a beer festival in the barn of his pub. Nice work if you can find it. He went to Tad but looked at the factory type appearance of John Smiths and Bass and decided not to go in. Went to Copper Dragon instead - good choice.
 marsbar 02 Nov 2008
In reply to D.Musgrave: I like batemans dark mild.
 Mike Peacock 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: Black Cuillin is good, but I think the Red possibly holds the place as my favourite pint of all time.

Other dark beers:

Dark Side of the Moose from the Purple Moose brewery down Porthmadog way is excellent. There's also one called Old Tom (can't think who brews it) that is very dark, very thick, and very strong!
 Dominion 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

There's a pub just up the road from the campsite at Merebrook that had a beer just called Dark

'twas very nice.

There is also Sarah Hughes Dark Ruby Mild, which they tend to sell out of very quickly at beer festivals in Rugby...

That's a Mild at 6.0% , of course.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/165/439
mriwbrown 02 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Cant believe no-one's mentioned Black Gold from the Cairngorm brewery - fantastic stuff.
Cheers
Ian
diablo 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

there's a little brewery here makes something called Dark Star: its georgous
In reply to Touching Centauri:
> There's also one called Old Tom (can't think who brews it) that is very dark, very thick, and very strong!

Robinsons brew Old Tom; a barley wine rather than a dark ale, if we're being picky. Bit too strong for me, that.

T.

In reply to Alex Roddie:

It's not Scottish, but Jennings' Sneck Lifter is one of my all time favourites.

Dr Johnson's 'Definitive' from the Whim Brewery in Derbyshire is regularly on sale in our local Booths near Preston for £1 a bottle is almost as nice as Snecky for 2/3 the price!
Removed User 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Arran Dark? Does that mean they are back in production? Will this mean the return of my beloved Blonde? Find oot man FFS!!!!
OP Alex Roddie 04 Nov 2008
In reply to diablo:
Ta, must look out for Dark Star.

Black Gold is also a favourite (can't believe I forgot that one either!!)

In reply to Tall Clare:
You are right that we do have pre-arranged deals with breweries, but we also sometimes order ales on a week-to-week basis, depending on demand. So it is often quite possible to get unusual beers on at short notice if there is a good reason to do so. Not likely at the moment though, due to it being the off-season.
In reply to Removed User:
> (In reply to Removed UserAlex Roddie)
>
> Arran Dark? Does that mean they are back in production? Will this mean the return of my beloved Blonde? Find oot man FFS!!!!

We had Arran Dark, Blonde and Sunset on last week. =) They didn't last long--all barrels dry within a few hours!!
johnSD 04 Nov 2008
> (In reply to Removed UserAlex Roddie)
>
> Arran Dark? Does that mean they are back in production? Will this mean the return of my beloved Blonde? Find oot man FFS!!!!

Yes, it's been bought and up and running. A shame the way it went bust - a victim of their own success and the demands of supplying supermarkets by the sound of it.
dazza72 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Three Sisters- from the Atlas Brewery in Kinlochleven...wonderful.

It should be noted that an earlier poster got the brewer for LIA FAIL wrong....it's INVERALMOND
In reply to dazza72:
> Three Sisters- from the Atlas Brewery in Kinlochleven...wonderful.

Ahh an old favourite. Atlas is our local brewery so we get lots of their stuff (it also says "Atlas Brewery" on the back of our uniforms!)
dazza72 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

F*ck, yeah..i'm forgetting you're at the Clach. Nevertheless wonderful, i did have the Organic ale form the Caledonian Brewery in Edinburgh- Golden Promise...my god, it was nectar!
Removed User 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
I'm officially H*A*P*P*Y. all I have to do now is track down a stockist. I take it they'll no be in Asda and Tesco anymore after the last debacle......

I'll be off the the Tryst Brewery for another case of Carronade IPA. deelish.
In reply to Alex Roddie: Theakstons Old Peculiar and Hopback's Winter Lightening are a couple of my favourites.
In reply to highaltitudebarista:
They do Winter Lightning as well? I'm a massive fan of Summer Lightning so I must track this one down!
In reply to Alex Roddie: They did in my previous life as a pub manager. Used to only be available to order during the Winter months though.
peter pan 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

Just finishing of a bottle of Niederrhein Alt a dark German bier, not too shabby @ all.

PP.
Removed User 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:
I'm partial to William Brothers Midnight Sun at 5.6%, and Hopback Entire Stout at 5%. Also Yewbarrow Strong Mild from the Great Gable Brewey at wasdale Head is excellent at around 5.5%
 jayjackson 04 Nov 2008
Seconded the Hobgoblin shout (well someone else may have said it but I couldn't be bothered to read further).

Unfortunately all my local pubs are stocking a reduced %age - it's down to 4.8 from 5.2 (something about the tax I think) Still great though, and the bottles are full strength.

Other favourite is Exmoor Beast - words fail me, you have to drink to believe!

On the subject, I'm off to the pub...

Paz 04 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie:

i like eall really, but hob gob gets me pissed, broad side gets me arseholed and old pec gives me frekay dreams, whihc is why i drink it. and it's delicious.
In reply to Paz:
> broad side gets me arseholed

What Broadside does best. =) At New Year I learned not to try and out-drink people you hardly know, particularly when the only agreed rule is that only Broadside may be consumed!!
 francois 07 Nov 2008
In reply to Alex Roddie: I reckon you should try the Hibernator III, from the Black Isle brewery. It's an organic dark ale and a bit strong for my tastebuds, but as far as dark ales go it's pretty good. And strong as well!

Second your judgment on Arran Dark, it's really nice, but needs to be served at the right temperature. Mine was a bit too cool for enjoyment.

F

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...