UKC

Help. What's The Best Way To Keep Warm?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Twinkle 30 Nov 2008
Hi.

I've been getting out into the Peak a lot recently and (as Im sure you've all noticed) its freezing! I'd really like some advice on the best type of jacket/fleece/buffalo to buy to keep me warm.

At the moment I'm looking at a synthetic soft shell to add to my other layers (possibly with a waterproof over the top if it rains). I think a Buffalo or Mardale is probably warmer but doesn't fit into good old layering wisdom....

Any ideas please.
In reply to Twinkle:

I'd still vote for a buffalo type thing. I wear a couple of layers underneath mine when it gets cold (which is, of course, heresy). They're warm, breathable and, best of all, indestructible...

The buffalos, mardales and Montanes all seem to fit slightly differently & have different levels of warmth.

I keep thinking it must be time for a new one but my current one just keeps going on!

Otherwise perhaps a belay jacket of some sort? - not sure you can really climb in those though....
 JonathanJones 30 Nov 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

A Buffalo doesn't fit into a layering system cos it doesn't need to! I just bought one, wearing it today i was warm all day, sweat a fair bit on the walk in (as i always do) but was soon dry and didn't get cold. It was quite cold up at Slipstones today (or so the people i was with said). Something to think about, but if you like your layer, just get a belay jacket.
 John_Hat 30 Nov 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

I'd suggest down. I get very cold very quickly, and then take ages to warm up. Have tried layering fleece/gortex, soft shells, etc, and the only thing that worked for me was a down jacket. I've got a nice down jacket which is waterproof and tear resistant (actually its practically armoured) and breathable.

On the minus side, you can't really climb in one - or at least you can't climb in mine (duvet-style) and as soon as you go anywhere that isn't freezing then you overheat....
Twinkle 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle: Bump. Anymore for anymore?
 freerangecat 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

Don't know how it fits into your layering system, but if you're after a warm fleece (but not windproof, so needs a shell over it) the Mountain hardware Monkey Jacket is super cosy.
 SFM 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

Depends really if you want to climb wearing it.

Down will be warmest but you'll probably have to take off the jacket to climb whereas you could climb in a Buffalo type jacket. I guess a thinner primaloft jacket could be climbed in too.

Also don't neglect keeping your legs warm. Do you wear ronnies or thermals under your trousers?

If it's cold and dry then it's no problem to layer Buffalo it's just when you are trying to shift a load of moisture that layering it becomes an issue.
 BBLCaroline 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:
I always wear footless tights under my trousers and leg warmers too!
- I've even managed to get my boyfriend to wear them too (he has pink ones.. I wonder if he's gay...)
They suit my studently budget as you can get them from primark for £1 and they're actually quite warm
In reply to BBLCaroline:
> (In reply to Twinkle)
> I always wear footless tights under my trousers

Ditto.
Removed User 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:
A hat!
 GrahamD 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

Sounds obvious but the best way to keep warm is to keep moving. It doesn't matter how much you wear if you are standing around - the cold gets in eventually.
 anansie 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

I wear those supersoft thick woolly tights under my trousers And socks over them, keeps me toastie. I've also recently bought a few pairs of legwarmers which i shall put to good use this winter. ( I may look smeggy but i'll be rare and warm
 2pints 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

What about a Montane Extreme smock?

You'd never be cold again!
almost sane 01 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

A flask of soup or, my current favourite, hot apple juice with cloves and honey. Magic brew, that is.

Seriously, keeping yourself fed and watered is vital to staying warm. If you let yourself get dehydrated (eg because you don't want to pee in the cold) then your body will become less efficient and you will chill.

Other than that, I can recommend a cashmere sweater. Very light for its warmth, plus it feels so nice. More stylish than these synthetics!

Layering is the way to go.
In reply to John_Hat:

Best way to keep warm? Stay active.

> I get very cold very quickly, and then take ages to warm up

Don't let yourself get cold. Or, if you do, put on your warm layer and get active.

A warm layer won't generate heat; it will only help conserve what you have. And you'll only generate decent amounts of heat by being active.

So, as soon as you stop being active, put on the warm layer to conserve your body heat.

Sorry if this is sucking eggs...
 BBLCaroline 09 Dec 2008
In reply to anansie:
> ( I may look smeggy but i'll be rare and warm

I'll have you know they are exeptionally cool and are even rumoured to improve your grade...... (along with dreds and a beanie)
ftony 09 Dec 2008
In reply to BBLCaroline:

> I'll have you know they are exeptionally cool and are even rumoured to improve your grade...... (along with dreds and a beanie)

as someone with big ol' dreads down to my arse, i can safely say that dreads do indeed improve your grade. fact.

back on topic, if you wrap your dreds aroudn your neck and stuff em down the front of your t-shirt they can work as a wonderfully warm (if a little scratchy) scarf.
 GrahamD 09 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

I bought a synthetic 'puffer jacket' from Peacock bargain rail for £5. Its very warm and practically disposable at that price. Just for standing around don't get too fixated by 'technical' gear.
almost sane 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:
TK Maxx is a good place to investigate.
I got a good pair of mitts there, with removable inners, for a tenner. My local "climbing" shop, Tiso, doesn't do mitts or gloves with removable inners. Which is a pain, because removable inners are the only way I know of getting dry gloves tomorrow when you have spent today playing in deep snow and don't have use of a drying room (eg winter camping).
 sutty 10 Dec 2008
In reply to almost sane:

Oh for the days of old and austerity when there was lots of ex WD stuff and you could buy several pairs of silk gloves used by pilots for very little money. Ideal liners, and two pairs were almost windproof in emergency.
 Nevis-the-cat 10 Dec 2008
In reply to Twinkle:

Climb inside the belly of a Taun Taun

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...