UKC

PVR's

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 14 Dec 2008
We are to shortly invest in PVR. We are looking for something that has a DVD recorder, 250Gb hard drive and a freeview tuner, however we may want to record one freeview channel and view another..am i to understand that i need a PVR with a twin tuner and if so any recommendations.
 newhey 14 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson:
> We are to shortly invest in PVR. We are looking for something that has a DVD recorder, 250Gb hard drive and a freeview tuner, however we may want to record one freeview channel and view another..am i to understand that i need a PVR with a twin tuner and if so any recommendations.

Some good prices here:
http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Home-Entertainment/subcat/Hard-Drive-Recorders
 winhill 14 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Ideally look for 1080p upscaling, dual layer support and extended warranty, I hear they have an alarming failure rate (so it makes sense to go for a name too).
 icnoble 14 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson: I have a sony pvr which is very good, reliable so far. My father has a humax, again very reliable.
 sutty 14 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Look through this persons postings on related threads, he explains things well and knows his stuff;

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=0&na...
 winhill 15 Dec 2008
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to Andy Hudson)
>
> Look through this persons postings on related threads, he explains things well and knows his stuff;
>
> http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=0&na...

Nice one Sutty, the first relevant thread is one the AH started last month on the same topic! Better replies on that thread though, although no-ones talking DVD.
 Martin W 15 Dec 2008
In reply to sutty: You've found me out I'm afraid! I do not know much about combined HDD and DVD recorders. I am not aware of one that has dual tuners - but that doesn't mean that such a beast doesn't exist.

Dual tuners give you the ability to watch one channel while you record another. Some also allow you to record two channels at the same time (or even record two channels and watch a third, provided that third channel is on the same multiplex as one of the other two). If your TV already has Freeview built in then you don't actually need dual tuners to be able to watch and record simultaneously, although your TV won't allow you to pause and rewind live programmes like a PVR does.

My inclination would be to get a separate dual-tuner PVR and DVD recorder. That way you can choose the features which are important to you in each device, rather than - as usually seems to be the case - having to compromise on some features on either function. It also means that you can upgrade your DVD recorder as the media standards evolve eg dual-layer, Blu-ray etc without having to throw away the PVR bit (along with all the recorded programmes on the HDD which you haven't yet watched) as well.

The thing to look for in a PVR these days is "Freeview+". As the name suggests, this is very similar to Sky+. Like any PVR, you programme recordings directly from the Electronic Programme Guide (EPG). A feature called "accurate recording" means that the PVR can use data transmitted with the programmes to adjust recording timings if the schedule changes. Series record allows you to tell the PVR to record every episode of a series, even if the different episodes get bounced around the schedules (it can even resolve clashes with other recordings by recording a repeat on another channel - though I'm not sure if all Freeview+ PVRs can do this). All of these bells and whistles are dependent on the broadcasters transmitting the right data, which unfortunately isn't always the case. Predictably, the BBC tend to be the most reliable.

As for brands, Humax is generally regarded as being the best PVR manufacturer for general users, although the cheaper ones you find in Tescos and the like seem to be pretty good these days if you're not ultra-fussy about the exact feature mix, the way the EPG is presented etc. As for DVD recorders, I have a Panasonic which seems fine and I believe they are rated one of the better manufacturers but I don't really know that market very well. I actually record most of my DVDs on the computer (which also has a digital TV tuner). One thing: if the DVD recorder does DVD-RAM then it will usually be able to pause and rewind live programmes, like a hard disc recorder (the other DVD formats don't allow this, although I don't about Blu-ray).

One other thing to bear in mind: Digital terrestrial TV is going to get some (likely no more than four) HD channels from around 2010. HD reception will require completely new receiving hardware, although existing hardware will still work with the non-HD channels. If you like the idea of getting HD TV through your aerial then you may want to hold off spending a lot of money on a PVR which you will want to replace in a couple of years time. You could buy a cheaper model in the expectation of selling it on via that well-known auction site later, or even just manage without for a bit longer...
 sutty 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Martin W:

You may say you don't know much, but you know more than anyone else on here, or most sales people in shops.

When people ask about things like this I point them at your threads, when they want alpine goings on at Luca Signorelli.
soveda@work 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Martin W:
> (In reply to sutty) You've found me out I'm afraid! I do not know much about combined HDD and DVD recorders. I am not aware of one that has dual tuners - but that doesn't mean that such a beast doesn't exist.

I gather that Humax have one of these in the pipeline for 2009, with dual channel recording. Was in one of the AV magazines recently, can't remember which one.
 tlocker 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson:
Have a look at the Topfield PVRs.
http://www.topfield.co.uk/
http://www.toppy.org.uk/

No DVD recorder but you can link to a PC via USB and transfer files to burn to disk.
You can add applications to it.
Records two channels whilst watching a third etc.
 2pints 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Martin W:
Wish I'd read this last week

osh 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson: I'm tempted to get one of these: http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/product.asp?ProdRef=10065&cat=lcd Reconditioned, but seems to be good value for money.
 osh 15 Dec 2008
In reply to odr: Forgot to add, I bought my parents a similar one (the silver 160gb model) last year and it really is very good.
 slacky 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Build your own custom set up and run http://www.mythtv.org/ on it (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythTV for more general info).

You only really need 1080p (HD specification) if you've got a >42" screen, you won't notice any difference on smaller TVs with the lower spec.
soveda@work 15 Dec 2008
In reply to soveda@work:
> (In reply to Martin W)
> [...]
>
> I gather that Humax have one of these in the pipeline for 2009, with dual channel recording. Was in one of the AV magazines recently, can't remember which one.

oops, misread this, it's just a PVR not combined with a DVD recorder
 Mike C 15 Dec 2008
In reply to Andy Hudson:

I've had a Sony model for some time now, RDR-HXD870, which only has a 160Gb HDD, no doubt current models are bigger. Generally I've been very pleased with it. Only one digital tuner, so to watch a live programme at the same time as recording another I have to use the TV's analogue receiver. You can still watch a recorded prog while it's recording another, or watch the one it's recording earlier in the broadcast.
It has Freeview+ capability & that's how I tend to set it up, along with series recording & it will look for another broadcast if there's a clash of times.
Recording to DVD is quick & easy.
The only negative point is that it has "frozen" a couple of times which takes a bit of sorting out.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...