UKC

Smartphones- Internet question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Hudson 09 Feb 2009
I am looking for a new mobile and have decided to get what these days seem to be termed smartphones. I have looked at a few (Tocco, 5800, HTC etc) and have not yet decided whether to buy a sim only deal and buy the phone myself or get it on a contract.

I am looking at Orange as a network as that seems the best reception for home and work and places i tend to find myself.

Now orange do a sim only deal for 15 pounds per month with an option of 500mb data bundle for another 5 per month. My question is if i dont get the data bundle will i be unable to use the phone for internet browsing

Any comments on smartphones/contracts/sim only/internet costs appreciated

johnSD 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

You will be able to use it for internet browsing, but you will be charged an extortionate number of pounds per MB for the pleasure (their non-bundle pricing seems to be about 4 years out of date...).

Don't know if it's a "smartphone" but I've got a Nokia 6220 at the moment, which is an "s60" device. I've used WAP for checking email, forecasts, headlines, etc. for most of the last decade, but it's really only in the last year or so that I've used the mobile for more regular internet browsing. If you download and install Opera Mini for your mobile then it allows you to look at most normal internet sites - including UKC - with ease... I now use it in preference to the inbuilt browser on the phone.
 Enty 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

You need to be very careful or you can get stung for browsing. Get something with wifi and it should be free when your in a hotspot - double check though!!!!

The Ent
 pog100 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Agree with the above, you will be able to browse but do so with great caution. I have an HTC on Orange with a very cheap monthly rate but no data and it is very expensive to browse. If you are thinking of browsing much there are some better inclusive deals around.
 Horse 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

You can but you pay, a lot. The bundles are good value but with phones like the 5800 you also have the option of a WIFI connection which can be free at home or work or other none paying hotspot or you pay at other hotspots.
 marsbar 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson: I have a nokia n95 on 3, I have to say I am not particularly impressed with their customer service, (took ages to sort out a faulty handset and the call centre is fairly useless) but I do get "unlimited" internet as well as a load of calls and texts for about £25 a month. I can browse, email, google maps (it had gps, but only useful in places it has an internet connection) skype etc. Skype is useful if abroad becuase if you go somewhere with free wifi you can phone home for nothing.
 Horse 09 Feb 2009
In reply to marsbar:
> (In reply to Andy Hudson)(it had gps, but only useful in places it has an internet connection)

That doesn't sound correct, the in built GPS doesn't require an internet conection I use it with Nokia Maps and Viewranger without any internet or indeed phone network connection. Google maps may be different
 saz_m 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Horse:

My GPS feature on my BlackBerry only seems to be useful when there's an internet connection, it has to download the map data I think. But I thought you could download google maps and then it didn't need the internet any more? I may be wrong as I haven't tried it!
 marsbar 09 Feb 2009
In reply to Horse: I am not certain, but I think it downloads the maps as it goes rather than having them in the memory. I can't be sure because I had a lot of trouble with the faulty handset doing odd things anyway. I will have another go with the nokia maps.
 Horse 09 Feb 2009
In reply to marsbar:

You get Nokia maps by using Nokia Maploader that puts the maps onto your phone or memory card. No more downloading is required. Once on there you don't need a connection. However, if you want it to read out the directions then you have to pay a subscribtion. I just use it for maps and route planning without the subscription. Viewranger is good if you like OS maps but is not really a Sat Nav device. For more info see:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/maps
http://www.viewranger.com/vrproductinfo.php
 Jim Fraser 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Andy Hudson:

Forget what's provided by the manufacturers and their co-conspirators the network providers. This is what you need to know about. (Fast as f4ck, cheap as chips.)

http://www.opera.com/mini/
http://www.opera.com/mobile/
mazza79 11 Feb 2009
In reply to Jim Fraser: i use opera mini and would highly recomend it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...